year off after med school..path application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bounceback

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wanted to seek your advice and help if possible. I am taking a year off after graduating medical school and am aspiring to apply for pathology residency this match.

I wanted to ask what I can do this year off to prepare for the match?
Also if you guys have any information or ideas about opening for path positions in the year off that can help my application?

I have been looking for autopsy assitant postion, research positions in Pathology, and am even working on path observership but haven't had much luck :(

any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. I am getting anxious as the time for applications are drawing near!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I wanted to seek your advice and help if possible. I am taking a year off after graduating medical school and am aspiring to apply for pathology residency this match.

I wanted to ask what I can do this year off to prepare for the match?
Also if you guys have any information or ideas about opening for path positions in the year off that can help my application?

I have been looking for autopsy assitant postion, research positions in Pathology, and am even working on path observership but haven't had much luck :(

any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. I am getting anxious as the time for applications are drawing near!

I think getting some observership time would be the best use of your time. I don't know how open hospitals are in terms of observerships. I say that because as an observer you get to see how pathology works: signing out, grossing, autopsies, etc, which will help you tremendously in residency. Plus, observerships are at most one month I believe.

If you want to do research, that is great as well, but some of the smaller programs can really care less about research although it helps somewhat. If you do research please do it in diagnostic pathology. By that I mean maybe a case report about an unusual tumor, unusual case presentation of a tumor, etc. Don't do research on bacteria, microRNA, etc (unless if that is your true interest then of course go for it). If you do end up doing research, I would do it with a big wig. That way you can kill two birds with one stone (get publications and a letter of reference). A letter from a big wig should get you interviews. I dont think you will find many positions which are paying so you may have to work for free.

Basically, it boils down to your USMLE score(s). Good luck.

hi thanks for your reply!
I have an attempt on step 1 and have cleared step2 ...i was also contemplating doing step3 this fall...I don't know what I can do to compensate for that attempt...i am also trying to take step 3 ASAP after September...if you have any suggestions please do share

I have been trying to find observership but havent met with much success yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think getting some observership time would be the best use of your time. I don't know how open hospitals are in terms of observerships. I say that because as an observer you get to see how pathology works: signing out, grossing, autopsies, etc, which will help you tremendously in residency. Plus, observerships are at most one month I believe.

If you want to do research, that is great as well, but some of the smaller programs can really care less about research although it helps somewhat. If you do research please do it in diagnostic pathology. By that I mean maybe a case report about an unusual tumor, unusual case presentation of a tumor, etc. Don't do research on bacteria, microRNA, etc (unless if that is your true interest then of course go for it). If you do end up doing research, I would do it with a big wig. That way you can kill two birds with one stone (get publications and a letter of reference). A letter from a big wig should get you interviews. I dont think you will find many positions which are paying so you may have to work for free.

I have an attempt on step 1 and have cleared step2 ...i was also contemplating doing step3 this fall...I don't know what I can do to compensate for that attempt...i am also trying to take step 3 ASAP after September...if you have any suggestions please do share

You need to take and pass Step 3 as soon as possible. Passing Step 3 is very very helpful in helping your chances of matching. Residents in path residencies have trouble with Step 3 and so if you have passed it by the time you apply the more helpful it is for you.

2 suggestions:

1) pass step 3

2) have an explanation as to why you took a year off between med school and residency. that's the first question anyone will ask you, and should be addressed up front in your personal statement.

Without knowing or necessarily wanting to know more details--it sounds like you may have more than a single gap year ahead of you. Nothing wrong with that. You do need to put together an application that shows you can successfully complete path residency and pass the boards, so that means a decent performance on USMLE (you have an "attempt" on step 1 or you passed? I didn't know you could take steps 2 without passing step 1).

Statistically, or rather anecdotally, I can't say I have seen that many people do what you propose--take a gap year, hang around pathology departments one way or another, and then match. But I have seen quite a few people whose back story is that they graduated from med school in another country, worked as a research assistant (basic or clinical) for a few years, maybe even got their PhD, and then cropped up as pathology applicants. I think the research time or PhD is just a booby prize to make you prove you want it enough.

2 suggestions:

1) pass step 3

2) have an explanation as to why you took a year off between med school and residency. that's the first question anyone will ask you, and should be addressed up front in your personal statement.

Thanks a lot for your reply. When would you suggest would be to take Step 3 if I am applying for this year's match? I started studying for the test in July.

I thought you had to be within a post-graduate training program to be eligible to apply for step 3.

Thanks a lot for your reply. When would you suggest would be to take Step 3 if I am applying for this year's match? I started studying for the test in July.

Ideally you'd like to take it soon enough that you can put the fact that you've passed onto your ERAS application.