Year off between 2nd and 3rd to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mymembernames

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here take a year off between 2nd and 3rd to do research and study for step 1? I am struggling to pass an NBME and now I am risking getting behind / graduating late since I had to push back a clerkship. So option 1) Push through and barely pass step 1 or possibly fail it 2) Take a year off and study hard to do well and do research?
Any help, will be greatly appreciated. US MD student at an average east coast school. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you've spent two years studying preclinical material and are still just barely passing step 1, I do question whether another year is going to really help much. What ever you study may well be counterbalanced by things you'll forget as time passes.

That said, do whatever it takes to pass. Failing will make you delay a year anyhow. Make sure you pass the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
How long have you been studying for? When are you scheduled to take Step 1?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Recently started studying. NBME baseline of 158. Have a month to study for it. Just want to pass, ideally above 200-205. TIA.

If you recently started studying then all hope is not lost. What is your strategy like? How long does it take you to go through a Uworld block? Any particular subjects where you feel that you are weakest?

Reactions: 1 users
If you recently started studying then all hope is not lost. What is your strategy like? How long does it take you to go through a Uworld block? Any particular subjects where you feel that you are weakest?

I feel like I am weak in most subjects in general. I got a low pass in every class I took. My NBME result showed that I missed about 30 pathology questions, about 20 pharm questions and about 10-12 micro questions from what I remember (I missed a total of more than 80 questions).

I can get through a block of UWorld in 4-5 hours. I stopped using UWorld because I felt I needed to review things first before continuing on. So my strategy for now is to use brocencepahlons anki deck for the next 10-15 days. I used first aid throughout school but don't remember much from it and anki is the best way for me to retain the facts, which I feel like I had forgotten when I took the NBME. Once I get through brocencephalon in the next two weeks at about ~700-1000 cards/day plus doing sketchy pharm/micro. I was planning on doing 80-120 Uworld questions/day (might not be able to do all of the bank due to time) and then take an NBME to see where I am out. Open to any thoughts or suggestions. Greatly appreciate you trying to help me.

I feel like I am weak in most subjects in general. I got a low pass in every class I took. My NBME result showed that I missed about 30 pathology questions, about 20 pharm questions and about 10-12 micro questions from what I remember (I missed a total of more than 80 questions).

I can get through a block of UWorld in 4-5 hours. I stopped using UWorld because I felt I needed to review things first before continuing on. So my strategy for now is to use brocencepahlons anki deck for the next 10-15 days. I used first aid throughout school but don't remember much from it and anki is the best way for me to retain the facts, which I feel like I had forgotten when I took the NBME. Once I get through brocencephalon in the next two weeks at about ~700-1000 cards/day plus doing sketchy pharm/micro. I was planning on doing 80-120 Uworld questions/day (might not be able to do all of the bank due to time) and then take an NBME to see where I am out. Open to any thoughts or suggestions. Greatly appreciate you trying to help me.

If you can get through Uworld and are truly reviewing each and every answer you should at least be able to pass Step 1. It's especially encouraging that it takes you 4-5 hours to get through a block in Uworld (that is a good amount of time to spend on each block). I would not stop doing Uworld questions. The threshold for passing Step 1 is not high, and as long as you've been able to pass your classes throughout medical school I think you'll be able to pass the exam. What I've heard some people do is they make an excel sheet (or anki deck) of Uworld points as they go through the questions. You would make one flashcard for each question with only information in the flashcard to answer the question correctly. Before you do the next block, you can review your flashcards from the previous block to help solidify the knowledge. For example, take the following question...

Which of the following findings is most directly a result of uncle herniation?
a) facial numbness
b) mydriasis
c) tongue weakness
d) impaired shoulder shrugging

In your flashcard you would write "what is associated with uncle herniation" on one side and "mydriasis" on the other. You would then review the anatomy so that you can get a conceptual idea of why this happens. You'll look at the location of cranial nerve 3 and the relation to a potential mass lesion and understand why a compression of the parasympathetic nerve can lead to a blown pupil. You'll then review this flashcard over and over for a period of time until you nail the concept into your head. Forget about the other details in the rest of the Uworld explanation. Studying for Step 1 is a combination of memorization and deep conceptual understanding. I think if you do this for every single Uworld question you will certainly at least pass.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone here take a year off between 2nd and 3rd to do research and study for step 1? I am struggling to pass an NBME and now I am risking getting behind / graduating late since I had to push back a clerkship. So option 1) Push through and barely pass step 1 or possibly fail it 2) Take a year off and study hard to do well and do research?
Any help, will be greatly appreciated. US MD student at an average east coast school. TIA.

If you absolutely need it to pass, DO IT. If you can PASS without it, DON'T DO IT. It's one thing to delay clerkships to take an extra month, but taking an entire year off isn't good news. I talked to a lot of people when deciding to take more time to study for Step 1 and the overwhelming consensus was to only take a year off if you're not going to pass.

Reactions: 1 users
If you absolutely need it to pass, DO IT. If you can PASS without it, DON'T DO IT. It's one thing to delay clerkships to take an extra month, but taking an entire year off isn't good news. I talked to a lot of people when deciding to take more time to study for Step 1 and the overwhelming consensus was to only take a year off if you're not going to pass.

Thanks, really appreciate you telling me that. Will do my best this month and see how it goes. If I'm not safe to pass, will have to take a medical leave or something to start next year.