Year off between fellowship & job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaBelleVN

Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking a year off between my fellowship & starting a job, but I'm not sure if this will be frowned upon by recruiters.

Here's my brief background:

1. AP/CP residency - graduated June '10
2. Surgical pathology fellowship - will graduate June '11
3. Dermatopathology fellowship - will graduate June '12

My husband will be applying for a surgery fellowship the fall of '11 for a start date of July '12. This would also be the approximate time that I would start my job search. However, being as though the dermpath boards are September '12, our daughter will be 2 years old by then, we want to have another kid around that time, and I desperately want to keep the family unit together, I was thinking of being a stay at home mom just for that year. Even if I were to start a job immediately after fellowship, I would be taking a few months off anyways.

I am concerned that recruiters will find the gap in training and practice a con when reviewing my application. The job market is already tough as it is & I don't want to make it more difficult than it has to be. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Well.. it's probably going to run the gamut. All other things being equal, I'd rather have someone who hasn't had a year away from the scope, much less away from working in medicine altogether. But, it just depends on the job (location, competition, how badly they need someone to leap in and be independent immediately, etc.), your personality, confidence in picking back up, how well you can convey that during the application/interview process, how "understandable" your explanation of taking time off is to them, etc. People do it.

If you're talking to employers early, and simply saying you don't want to start until X, that may be easier to work with than "taking a year off" and starting the job search later. Again, depends heavily on the job, etc.

One year gap is too long and might look bad on your CV, although "family reason" is a very understandable, reasonable and compelling excuse.

Please know that:

- You will be always facing question "what were you doing during this year?" by the employers and others.

- Licensing authorities always ask for gap explanations, especially those exceeding 3-6 months.

- The year gap will adversely affect your diagnostic skills.

If I were you, I would try to minimize the gap to 6 months or less. If not, just go for a year and hope that no harm will happen.

KCshaw also raised a good point, which is there would be some time between applying for a job and getting an offer. Tell the employer that you need to start after 3-4 months (for license processing, relocation,..other reasons). By this way, you will find yourself with a six months gap....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How abbout some Locum type stuff . Its better to remain active... even if itss part-time. I would think with dermpath training and general surg there will be some sort of locum work.

Also maybe your husband can work out something with his training program to have you sign out part time as a clinical instructor.

It is not a good idea to take a whole year completely off after training.

First year out is where learning begins....

Your situation would not cause a problem for hiring in most situations, although I cannot speak for every potential employer. You have a logical, well thought-out plan and a strong rationale for the plan. Clear thinking, forethought, and willingness to delay gratification for a long term goal are valuable traits in a future member of a team. Explaining what you did and why in a cover letter should dispel any issues with the missing time.

Gaps in training or work are problematic if they are unexplained or if they are an indicator of potential problematic behavior. That is, if you were not working or training because you were in jail, or you were suspended for multiple DUIs, overdosed, or you hurt yourself cliff diving which is a habit you continue to pursue.

It is not a problem if you decide to take a year off to devote to your family and wish to return afterwards, provided you are sure you want to return. I have no doubt that there are individuals unlike BU pathology for whom this would be a problem. But I suspect you or I wouldn't want to work for them anyway. I'm sure you could find some ways to try to keep up with path during your absence, whether it is going to conferences or spending time with pathologists you know.

Thank you all for your advice & insight into the matter. I definitely plan on returning to work after several months. I can't imagine having gone through all this schooling & training to just stay at home 24/7. I'd go nuts! Part time and locums are good options and I will still look for jobs during the fall/winter of 2011. I wouldn't even mind giving pathology lectures or lab practicals to medical students if we end up near a university.