year off...research assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how would i get a research assistant or lab tech job if i decided to take a year off? like what do i need to get that job? many of you said that that's what you are doing in your time off before med school...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by uclakid
how would i get a research assistant or lab tech job if i decided to take a year off? like what do i need to get that job? many of you said that that's what you are doing in your time off before med school...

The best thing would be CONNECTIONS! Did you do research previously as an undergrad? Did that PI like you? Either get a job from him or her, or ask them to hook you up with one of their connections under the idea that you'll work like a slave.

Seriously, in today's world.. especially since you have the idea to only work for one year, and in all honesty by the end of one year, you'll just be "trained." So it might be hard to find an employer willing to take you on for the long term when they can hire someone they can train and obtain for the long run. So the best way would be to slip through the cracks with connections.

Unless you aren't too picky about the lab tech position and go to work for something outside of research.

i had it a little tough because i went to school on the east coast and live in colorado, so i had no connections at all to go through. it actually took me almost four months to find a job, although i wasn't searching my hardest. fortunately, i wasn't under huge pressure to get a job right away, so i basically just applied for jobs and did secondaries during the summer. the best place i found to look for jobs was in the newspaper want ads. there weren't very many, but in some cases, the jobs i was applying for were pretty short-term (ie, they expected me to leave after a year, so that wasn't a problem). eventually i found the job i'm at now, and i'm really liking it.

i guess my advice would be to not expect too much, especially in this crappy economy. as a recent grad w/o much experience who will only be around for a year, you're probably not the most attractive candidate for a job, but don't turn down an interview or something just because you're not sure the job is for you. you'd be suprised what you might enjoy doing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any experience in research? If you do you might be able to get something at a biotech company.

try monsterstrak, under ucla's listing. there should be some that might pique your interest.

or if you want, check the med center's website. there were a lot of opportunities when i was looking for a job after graduating.

Originally posted by uclakid

Depending on your major, you should have already had some lab experience (e.g-bio, biochem, orgo). Definitely list these on your resume to make you a more appealing candidate. If not, a decent resume coupled with a great letter of intent (geared towards a particular lab) can help you get an awesome research position. From experience, persistence is key. I was lucky enough to get a job at Harvard Medical School during college because I kept at it. They saw my enthusiasm and it turned out great! I would be glad to look at your resume and letter then pass it around the Houston area :hardy:

Originally posted by Texasgirl7
Depending on your major, you should have already had some lab experience (e.g-bio, biochem, orgo).

I don't think that's quite the experience most research employers are really looking for. Perhaps for biotech, I'm not sure. But I think they want to see if you've spent some significant time in a lab working as part of a team on a project so that you understand how the system works, understand protocals, paperworks, the equipment, time commitment, etc etc.

Doing "lab" in orgo and biochem really doesn't cut the mustard in comparison.

But you're right, the more you put down the more of an appealing candidate you'll make yourself out to be.

all you have to do is email or call some researchers (faculty, professors, dr's, etc). tell them you are interested, do you have an opening. most likely you will be asked to come in and interview briefly; know why you want to do that kind of research , perhaps read a paper by the researcher to be familiar with the work. you might be lucky enough to get paid if the scientist is well funded.

it really is easy. and i dont agree with some other posters that you need previous experience to get a job.

good luck.

Originally posted by trojan2004

it really is easy. and i dont agree with some other posters that you need previous experience to get a job.

good luck.

No, not at all. But it's pretty difficult out there to get a job as a college grad, and it's really smoothed out if you have connections usually through a previous research experience where they can vouch for you to their colleague.

As a college student it's really different. They know they can work you day and night for nothing more than a LOR and a couple of bottles of beer.

well maybe the poster should start out not getting paid. and if they are in school now, he/she can take advantage of it by starting now. that way you can be there over the next year.

so hurry up...!!

I did not use any of my connections, except as references.

I applied to many research jobs during my senior year (jobs at a nearby research hospital). I probably interviewed at 7/25, and I had a job offer about a month after I began applying. It is useful to do this early...I began in march and had the job in april, I graduated and began work in May.

The advantage to doing this is that a full-time salaried job provides all kinds of benefits, including good health insurance, libraries, new friends, a sense of accomplishment, and above all a stable life.

In many ways, I was happier working as a lowly research assistant than I am in medical school. I had a sense of wholeness/adulthood which med school doesn't give.