Year Off - when's it best

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SicVic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking a year off for research and take a step back and remember what it's like to be relaxed.

So my struggle is to take my year off btw 3rd and 4th or right after graduation?

Personally i want to have the MD and do a year research - but I am afraid it may hurt me with getting a good residency spot esp in the competitive field (such as rads) that is my only concern (asides from the other minor annoyances such as
financial aid)

I can hear the thunderous sounds of my academic dean screaming for choice 1 - btw 3rd and 4th year :rolleyes:

So I want to hear what others think about time off and the ad and disadv of taking at a certain time period?

Members don't see this ad.

Any break in your accedemic life draws attention to you when you apply for residency, be careful and have a very good reason before you make this decission.

I think a year between 3 and 4 strengthens your application (if you do meaningful research in the field you are applying to) and a year after 4th weakens it (there is the assumption that you didn't match, were unable to buckle down and start residency). Also, depending on what you are doing it may be difficult to continue to defer loans if you do it after 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people take time off - for research, personal reasons, etc. At my school, it seems like at least around 10-20% of the students end up taking some time off (mostly for research), though we've had people take time off for international volunteering, etc. I don't think it will look bad as long as you do something worthwhile. I'm actually also considering taking a year off, and also wondering when is best. Everyone i've spoken to seems split on the issue - some think between 3rd and 4th is better (because this way you didn't interrupt all that knowledge infusion of 2nd year and boards w/ 3rd year clerkships), while others say after 2nd is better (no interruption in clinical training).

Any suggestions?

interesting point about residency programs assuming that a year off after 4th yr is most likely due to 'failure to match' because i got that same response from a med resident today. But its baffles me that residency prog will make such an assumption - especially clear that it will be my first time applying. So the only question to answer will be why the year off and what did I do with it. right?

I have found cases where students take year off after 4th year but these were generally for getting pregnant (bad excuse for me since i dont have the organs in the first place :laugh: )

After 3rd year
1. The toughest year in medical sch will be completed
2. Ease transition into pseudo 4th year and a natural application process
3. Possiblity - MD with research distinction ( for the year off researchers)

After 4th year
1. You graduate with your class
2. You have an MD (without the distinction)
3. May need to brush up on your clinical skills for the internship year
4. May decide on an entirely new career

with year off btw 2nd and 3rd yr
1. 3rd year is a dark cloud in the horizon
2. Break btw clinical and basic sci
3. Spending your 3rd yr without your classmates

Taking a year off for research will enhance your app for residency not hurt it. This is especially true if you get multiple publications, presentations etc.

Some 1 year research programs such as the Sarnoff Fellowship, and the NIH cloisters program have strong records of participants getting very good residencies.

SicVic said:
I am considering taking a year off for research and take a step back and remember what it's like to be relaxed.

So my struggle is to take my year off btw 3rd and 4th or right after graduation?

Personally i want to have the MD and do a year research - but I am afraid it may hurt me with getting a good residency spot esp in the competitive field (such as rads) that is my only concern (asides from the other minor annoyances such as
financial aid)

I can hear the thunderous sounds of my academic dean screaming for choice 1 - btw 3rd and 4th year :rolleyes:

So I want to hear what others think about time off and the ad and disadv of taking at a certain time period?

I plan on taking a year off after 3rd year so that I can play World of Warcraft and go clubbing more often. I wonder if that will strengthen my application...

I plan to do a year of reseach during residency

Between 3rd and 4th year is better than after 4th year.

I know some people who did research after 4th year, but that was because they changed their specialty choice last minute.

Yes, any break in your academic record will be questioned, but if you're doing serious research, then it will be ok. What concerns residency programs is taking time off because you had academic difficulties.