Year Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knuffa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a DO finishing my traditional internship, similar to MD transitional year, and matched into a PM and R 2007 spot. I'll be done in June and have to figure out what I can do for a year. I have already spoken to the physiatry department where I'll be heading and they have only part time research positions open. My question is, how do I go about possibly finding moonlighting gigs in addition to this part time research? I've already contacted the residents in the program and no one moonlights. They didn't seem to be of much help. Should I contact hospitals in the area? Should I try to do small town ER work and attempt to make better money and skip the research all together? Anyone with any ideas out there about possible work after passing step 3 and finishing internship? Sorry but I have already ruled out resort doc at hedonism 3.

Members don't see this ad.

knuffa said:
Hello all,

I'm a DO finishing my traditional internship, similar to MD transitional year, and matched into a PM and R 2007 spot. I'll be done in June and have to figure out what I can do for a year. I have already spoken to the physiatry department where I'll be heading and they have only part time research positions open. My question is, how do I go about possibly finding moonlighting gigs in addition to this part time research? I've already contacted the residents in the program and no one moonlights. They didn't seem to be of much help. Should I contact hospitals in the area? Should I try to do small town ER work and attempt to make better money and skip the research all together? Anyone with any ideas out there about possible work after passing step 3 and finishing internship? Sorry but I have already ruled out resort doc at hedonism 3.

You can be a resort doc at hedomism 3? How can I do that?

Well, I'm somewhat in the same boat and am finding it quite difficult to get moonlighting jobs with just one year of residency behind me. The first thing to do would be to call all the hospitals in your area. Ask to speak with medical staffing. Many hospitals have hospitalist groups who they'll be able to put you in touch with. After that, try local doctor offices. It might not be a bad idea to find out all this stuff before laying out hundreds of dollars for your medical license, if you won't be able to use it anyway.

how about the hospital where you did your transitional year? Any moonlighting opportunities there? It may be easier for you to find something there since you know ppl there.