Year OFF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJ87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does it look taking a year off AFTER getting accepted somewhere? Does it really look bad??? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you do with that year. If you are in Haiti helping rebuild and helping those in need... probably not. If you are sitting on your butt playing video games, then yes.

how does it look taking a year off AFTER getting accepted somewhere? Does it really look bad??? thanks

I've actually taken this past year off between graduation (Aug 2009) and starting school up again (Jul 2010). In the months that I took off, I went to Africa and volunteered in a hospital for a while. This was an important experience that I am very grateful to have had. At the same time, schools were very interested to know what I'm doing now that I'm back home and am "off" for the semester. I've been volunteering at hospitals and surgery centers locally, as well as taking a class at a local college. They just want to make sure that you're being productive and are still enthusiastic about continuing your education, I think. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually taken this past year off between graduation (Aug 2009) and starting school up again (Jul 2010). In the months that I took off, I went to Africa and volunteered in a hospital for a while. This was an important experience that I am very grateful to have had. At the same time, schools were very interested to know what I'm doing now that I'm back home and am "off" for the semester. I've been volunteering at hospitals and surgery centers locally, as well as taking a class at a local college. They just want to make sure that you're being productive and are still enthusiastic about continuing your education, I think. Hope this helps!

Had the same questioning ... I took a 'year off' between graduation and matriculation. Almost every interviewer asked what I had been doing, and many, many secondaries asked about it. I essentially just worked. I really wish I would have had my act together and applied Jr year, but I was so busy that I really don't know how people do it!! I feel like I would have ended up applying twice, but I wish I was nearing the end of my 1st year right now, instead of eagerly awaiting to start.

I've had admissions officers tell me that a year off is a good thing, so long as you have a reason. The best part: they said that if you used that year to do something you love, that's fine as well. The example they gave was that they had an applicant who loved snowboarding. They took a gap year to just snowboard, all the time, because they knew they would never get a chance to do such a thing again.

In my case, I took a year off because I felt that I wasn't able to get my application together. I've been working for this year, 9-5, full time. At the same time, I've done some volunteering on the side, spent some time with my hobbies. I think it's been a great experience for me. I've grown as a person, and I'm more excited to go back to school than ever.

not to mention I think it really helps to eliminate the "burn out" that so many people experience from a direct college to med school transition

I've had admissions officers tell me that a year off is a good thing, so long as you have a reason. The best part: they said that if you used that year to do something you love, that's fine as well. The example they gave was that they had an applicant who loved snowboarding. They took a gap year to just snowboard, all the time, because they knew they would never get a chance to do such a thing again.

In my case, I took a year off because I felt that I wasn't able to get my application together. I've been working for this year, 9-5, full time. At the same time, I've done some volunteering on the side, spent some time with my hobbies. I think it's been a great experience for me. I've grown as a person, and I'm more excited to go back to school than ever.

haha.. I know someone who took a year off just for snowboarding in Colorado...

I know some schools will allow you to defer up to 3 years after acceptance, no questions asked.

Unless you're doing something constructive, I would advise against it. If you have an acceptance, take it and run with it. The summer before med school should be enough time to decompress.

Huh:confused: Are you trying to defer for a year or are you talking about giving up an acceptance and replying next year? If the school will let you defer, what are you worried about? You are still accepted to that school. If you want to give up an acceptance and reapply then someone needs to slap some sense into you:smuggrin:

Huh:confused: Are you trying to defer for a year or are you talking about giving up an acceptance and replying next year? If the school will let you defer, what are you worried about? You are still accepted to that school. If you want to give up an acceptance and reapply then someone needs to slap some sense into you:smuggrin:

Exactly what I was thinking....

I have a friend who deferred 3 years from Univ of Kentucky's MD program. They didn't ask any questions, she just wanted to ski Jackson Hole for a few years. I'd say it's a well-deserved break before embarking on a lifelong career in medicine.