Yet another day on rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerryPharmD

Salt Miner
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friday, 3:30 PM: I'm at the in-window of a community pharmacy. A 40ish female patient comes up and drops off 2 scripts (not soma and vicodin). She presents her insurance card and is on Medicaid. While all this is happening, she is fiddling with her iPhone. She gladly tells stories of how it's new and the stuff it does.

Question: How in blue hell does somebody that cannot/chooses not to afford medical insurance buy and pay for the serivce contract on an iPhone??

Members don't see this ad.

1) Drug dealer/mafioso
2) Has a kid, dating a rich guy.
3) Cheating the system (nearly impossible to do...unless you are good at committing tax fraud, too.)
4) Works for the cell phone company

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate those people who have all the designer stuff and are cheating the system somehow.

My biochem teacher has an iPhone. Everyday she spends 5-10 minutes trying to get the projector to work. I don't know how she ever figured out how to use an iPhone, or even decided she needed one.

Question: How in blue hell does somebody that cannot/chooses not to afford medical insurance buy and pay for the serivce contract on an iPhone??

Because she is a citizen of the United States and except for Food Stamps, we can't tell her how to spend her Welfare Payments, even if we are paying them. She has the freedom to do as she pleases. As long as she forked over the dough and makes the payments, you have to MYOB. You mean she should be trying to better herself or her family instead of wasting (Your implication) her money on a toy?

Friday, 3:30 PM: I'm at the in-window of a community pharmacy. A 40ish female patient comes up and drops off 2 scripts (not soma and vicodin). She presents her insurance card and is on Medicaid. While all this is happening, she is fiddling with her iPhone. She gladly tells stories of how it's new and the stuff it does.

Come on now, you know medicaid people have all the best things (new phone, nails always done, best cuts of steak, crab legs, etc at the grocery store)--do you know why? Because we're paying for it!

You mean she should be trying to better herself or her family instead of wasting her money on a toy?

Yes. But why go out and get a job when you can just spend other people's money? She is living way better that way on welfare than if she went out and got a minimum-wage job.

Yes. But why go out and get a job when you can just spend other people's money? She is living way better that way on welfare than if she went out and got a minimum-wage job.

Exactly! I clearly remember working in a grocery store when I was in high school (barely above min wage) and 2 people were walking down the aisles. I heard one say to the other: "I'm having such a hard time getting unemployment, I may as well just go out and get a job." I was so upset at that. It still makes me mad that people abuse the system this way.

Come on now, you know medicaid people have all the best things (new phone, nails always done, best cuts of steak, crab legs, etc at the grocery store)--do you know why? Because we're paying for it!
Have you seen where those people live? They're just compensating for their horrible living conditions. Maybe it's different in your area, but public housing (aka the projects) is usually a dangerous place to live in Louisiana. The crime rates are pretty bad too, because the people stay home all day which leads to boredom then crime.

I used to be on medicaid and food stamps....and....uh....no. My "steak" was hamburger meat without a bun.

it seems that all the people I serve at work (50% medicaid) have nicer things than me. They all have escalades with dubs, designer clothes and nice bluetooth phones. I end up shopping at TJ max and I'm driving a 2001 ford focus and have a 7 year old cell phone to support them and their lazy ass ways.

Old timer, why should I MYOB when my tax dollars are supporting people who have no desire to better themselves, their children or anything around them. They just take from a system designed to help and give nothing back. Sure their are people who need it (my sister's bf's family after the husband left them with no income), but for everyone of them i see, i see 5 more that don't

I used to be on medicaid and food stamps....and....uh....no. My "steak" was hamburger meat without a bun.
Poor WVU. Oh wait, that was a pun.

I was raised by a single parent, for the most part, so there were plenty of woes.
As an adult, I've been really broke at times, but it never came to that(welfare). Somehow things always work out. Usually it means a lack of sleep due to work plus studying, but I'll force myself. It's hard... Most likely, that's why I'm sick right now. I always seem to be exhausted.

it seems that all the people I serve at work (50% medicaid) have nicer things than me. They all have escalades with dubs, designer clothes and nice bluetooth phones. I end up shopping at TJ max and I'm driving a 2001 ford focus and have a 7 year old cell phone to support them and their lazy ass ways.

Old timer, why should I MYOB when my tax dollars are supporting people who have no desire to better themselves, their children or anything around them. They just take from a system designed to help and give nothing back. Sure their are people who need it (my sister's bf's family after the husband left them with no income), but for everyone of them i see, i see 5 more that don't

Same here. I worked a lot with the public as a grocery store cashier and pharmacy technician over the past ten years; the people with food stamps and medicaid seemed to always be more well off than me. I don't know how these people can sleep at night knowing that other people are working hard for them and getting sometimes upwards of 35% of their money taken out of their paychecks so that they can have someplace to live. And then they go and blow that money on stuff that they don't need while the people whose money they are taking barely have nice things like that. It just makes me sick. And yes, it is my business--it is my money they are spending, I don't care how you look at it. I take it as a personal affront.

And, like an earlier poster testified, there are exceptions. There are people who really are on hard times; they do need the money and do not abuse it. I think the welfare system is a wonderful thing for these people. It's these other lazy people who abuse it and give it a bad reputation that are the problem here, not the hard-working, honest people who unfortunately fell on hard times; I admire those people and only wish the best for them.

I'm sorry, but there is no reason at all for these people to have iphones, designer clothes, and nice items at the grocery store; I don't care where you are living. It just gives other people more incentive to get on welfare and not work. If it is not your money that you yourself have earned or have been given willingly, you should not use it to buy anything other than what is necessary for you to live on.

My parents made me save 60% of the money I earned as a paper carrier. I know the value of money and what it means to work hard for your money; these people who abuse welfare do not. I knew someone in highschool who told me that her and her brother were born so that their mother could get more welfare benefits and not work. Talk about disgusting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew someone in highschool who told me that her and her brother were born so that their mother could get more welfare benefits and not work. Talk about disgusting.
I've also heard about a sense of "entitlement" meaning that if someone's parents have welfare, their children think that they should also get it. It's like a backwards birthright.

Damn poor people having nice stuff!! How are we supposed to tell them apart from the middle and upper class if they're allowed any luxuries?!

Unless you know someone's complete situation you don't know if they're abusing the system. For all you know that person may have saved up for the iPhone, maybe they won it, maybe someone bought it for them, maybe this is all a giant plot of theirs to waste your precious tax dollars... who the heck knows.

Damn poor people having nice stuff!! How are we supposed to tell them apart from the middle and upper class if they're allowed any luxuries?!

Unless you know someone's complete situation you don't know if they're abusing the system. For all you know that person may have saved up for the iPhone, maybe they won it, maybe someone bought it for them, maybe this is all a giant plot of theirs to waste your precious tax dollars... who the heck knows.

Absolutely. It's easy to throw stones when one assumes they know what's going on in someone else's life.

I was unemployed twice, for a year each time. During those periods, I received unemployment compensation which came to roughly 35% of what I was previously making. If I worked to supplement the UC, anything I earned over $50 was deducted from my paycheck. I would have liked to have not been in the position to collect UC at all; I would have preferred to have kept those jobs, believe me. Still, was I supposed to sit home and collec UC, or should I have worked, meaning I spent money on gas/lunch/etc and ultimately got my paycheck deducted from my UC check?

Glass houses, people. Glass houses.

if they can save enough to buy an iphone and the needed phone plan then do they really need to be on state assitance?

if they can save enough to buy an iphone and the needed phone plan then do they really need to be on state assitance?

If you don't like the system, you change the system. You don't force your choices on others. Even poor people on welfare have FREEDOM. Maybe instead of a land line, cell phone and Internet, they choose to do the Iphone because that is more economical. The answer is, you have NO IDEA what their life is like. It is not right for you to wish to exert control over their choices. I agree many poor people make bad decisons that help keep them poor, like getting IPhones when they should be saving money to better their lives. As citizens of these United States they are entitled to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. If that means an I-Phone so be it.....

If you don't like the system, you change the system. You don't force your choices on others. Even poor people on welfare have FREEDOM. Maybe instead of a land line, cell phone and Internet, they choose to do the Iphone because that is more economical. The answer is, you have NO IDEA what their life is like. It is not right for you to wish to exert control over their choices. I agree many poor people make bad decisons that help keep them poor, like getting IPhones when they should be saving money to better their lives. As citizens of these United States they are entitled to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. If that means an I-Phone so be it.....
I don't think anyone wants to limit their freedom. The problem lies in the fact that their decision to buy a luxury item is like a slap in the face, because all of their disposable income is really at their disposal. Many of the welfare people do not have to pay anything for housing, food, and medical costs.

When I see a doctor on campus, which is "free" because I'm a student, I will still have to pay the copays for the scripts I have to fill. I can ask for generics to help alleviate the cost, but I still have a copay of at least $10, because the minimum fee to fill a prescription is usually about $10.
Louisiana medicaid generic copays start at $0.50. That's only 5% of what I have to pay. The max medicaid script copay is $3.00. That's only 30% of what I have to pay when I get the cheapest prescription possible.

I don't think anyone wants to limit their freedom. The problem lies in the fact that their decision to buy a luxury item is like a slap in the face, because all of their disposable income is really at their disposal. Many of the welfare people do not have to pay anything for housing, food, and medical costs.

When I see a doctor on campus, which is "free" because I'm a student, I will still have to pay the copays for the scripts I have to fill. I can ask for generics to help alleviate the cost, but I still have a copay of at least $10, because the minimum fee to fill a prescription is usually about $10.
Louisiana medicaid generic copays start at $0.50. That's only 5% of what I have to pay. The max medicaid script copay is $3.00. That's only 30% of what I have to pay when I get the cheapest prescription possible.

None of that mitigates what I said. You seem to begrudge poor people making the same foolish decisions you want to make for yourself. As I said, if you feel the welfare benefits are too liberal or too generous, I suggest you petition your lawmakers to change them. People on welfare get a finite amount of cash and they can spend as wisely or foolishly as they see fit. I am not commenting on whether anyone on welfare should be spending their money on an I-Phone, just making sure you understand they have the right to be as dumb as wealthier people

It really does upset me to see situations like those you all have mentioned. Sometimes our medicaid patients get snappy with our staff and I just think "you know, you should really be glad we're working.." What upsets me most is to see someone come in who has been hard at work all day pay a $50 copay for medicine, and then see someone come in on Medicaid with designer clothes, a Louis Vitton purse, and have a $1 copay. If they don't have the $1, we aren't allowed to refuse them the medicine, we just have to give it to them.
Now I don't make much money or have much money, but I can't just go to Target and say "oh you know, I don't have any money for my groceries today. I'm poor." Mind you I have little money because I've invested it in school and paying my rent..certainly not designer clothes or iPhones or anything.
Judging someone for buying an iphone when the taxpayers are having to cover their expenses for medicine is not taking away their freedom. It is realizing that the system needs to change.
P.S. I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE PICK UP 3 SCRIPTS ON MEDICAID AND THEN CHECK OUT $80 WORTH OF MAGAZINES, MAKE-UP, PERFUME, AND BEER..!!! :confused:

Bold text always make people see it your way. so we'll go with your argument. Why do they need a cell phone and the internet? the public libraries have free internet and a cell is far from necesisity as there is. They can have a land line becasue that's just about a necessisity. The problem is they have the freedom to make poor choices which affect me in the area of increased taxes and medicaid deductions.

And I love the arguement, why dont you fix the problem. Belive me, I would in a second if I was in the position. Make me in charge of medicaid reform, I'd have it fixed . People always talk crap about fixing it but never have the spine to do it. Why should someone that can't feed their family or provide basic necessities for living be allowed to get a luxury item? If they are getting state money live, its completely illogical to be spurging on unneeded item. Doesnt it make you mad that you are paying the lease on someones tricked out car or their ipone bill, or their coach bag?

First of all, rich people can as big an A-holes as poor people. So don't give me the their poor, they should be grateful wer'e their to give them their drugs.

So people on welfare should not be allowed, beer, I-Phones, magazines or perfume Internet access in their homes. Anything else?

You are wisely investing your money in your future. One day you will be making over 100,000.00. These people will always be poor. They keep making poor decisions.

They have the right to do so.

If you are complaining and have not called your congressman or senator on the national or state level, you should shut up. We have a system of government. Exercise your rights. If millions of people would ask for something, the government would try to give it to you.

I agree, these decisions are self destructive and it is annoying they have "things" that I would like to have.

But they are only things. I have a great job a nice house three nice cars for wife and kids and POS car for me. Sorry no I-phone. Things don't define me and they shouldn't define you.

If you think their life is so great, ask if you would switch places. With your superior intellect and work ethic, you could pull yourself out of their poverty in no time?

Look I'm posting an argument about the essential nature of the country and the freedom of the individual. I understand the behavior you describe is annoying and it annoys me as well. I have the same emotion when a 15 year old girl gets her Pernatal Vitamins and is excited about being pregnant. What I want is for you to refute the argument.

Answer me without the emotion of, hey it's my money their spending....

Bold text always make people see it your way. so we'll go with your argument. Why do they need a cell phone and the internet? the public libraries have free internet and a cell is far from necesisity as there is. They can have a land line becasue that's just about a necessisity. The problem is they have the freedom to make poor choices which affect me in the area of increased taxes and medicaid deductions.

And I love the arguement, why dont you fix the problem. Belive me, I would in a second if I was in the position. Make me in charge of medicaid reform, I'd have it fixed . People always talk crap about fixing it but never have the spine to do it. Why should someone that can't feed their family or provide basic necessities for living be allowed to get a luxury item? If they are getting state money live, its completely illogical to be spurging on unneeded item. Doesnt it make you mad that you are paying the lease on someones tricked out car or their ipone bill, or their coach bag?

Well you can't stop them from breeding unfortunately so you will have to learn to deal with stupidity.

Why do they need a cell phone and the internet? the public libraries have free internet and a cell is far from necesisity as there is. They can have a land line becasue that's just about a necessisity. The problem is they have the freedom to make poor choices which affect me in the area of increased taxes and medicaid deductions.

Well first in order to have a land line you must have a steady place of residence that is equipped to have a phone line. Second land lines can be more expensive than cell phone. A pay as you go cell plan may be cheaper considering what an individual's options are in their region.

Second that is a disturbing thought.... the problem is that the poor have the freedom to make poor choices? Then logically your solution is to take away their freedom? Freedom is only for those who can afford it? No matter how awesome pharmacy is as a career we're always a single twist of fate away from ending up on disability, unemployment, medicaid, and other forms of welfare. I know should anything happen to me I would very much appreciate to still be treated as a human being and not as a second class citizen.

In all honesty... how much of your taxes do you even think goes towards income based welfare and reaches people who abuse the system?

Because she is a citizen of the United States and except for Food Stamps, we can't tell her how to spend her Welfare Payments, even if we are paying them. She has the freedom to do as she pleases. As long as she forked over the dough and makes the payments, you have to MYOB. You mean she should be trying to better herself or her family instead of wasting (Your implication) her money on a toy?

There are people who genuinely need assistance with food, medical costs, housing, et cetera. Luckily, most of them get it from the state or Federal government (or a combination of both). There are people who do not get assistance as well. I see patients go without life-sustaining medication because they are in the doughnut hole on Medicare Part D. You must concede that there are people who abuse the system. I did not mention her phone whatsoever. She took it upon herself to brag about it.

Let's visit the Escalade example. Do you honestly believe that someone who owns a $55,000 MSRP vehicle who makes less than $851 (100% FPL for single person and necessary to qualify for AZ medicaid) per month is spending ALL their income and assistance on the vehicle? Don't forget $750-$1000 per year on taxes. Then there's insurance and gas. My point is that people are abusing the system. As a taxpayer, it is my business. I can protest politically with my vote (which isn't worth much :laugh:). I disagree with the current system of government-funded healthcare. Please recognize that I am saying NOTHING about what would be better or worse. It is clear that this will be a big issue with the Federal election next year </politics>

I'll come around to my original question. I have a wife and child, work part-time, go to school full time, and pay mortgage on my place of residence. I have all the bills that go along with this as well. An iPhone is way beyond my/our current income capability. I do not understand how someone who makes less than $851 per month could possibly afford one unless they have no living expenses, are going hungry to pay for the phone, or a combination of both.

Where the **** was my Escalade, dammit? Was it like a bonus toy buried in my government peanut butter or chedder cheese? That government peanut butter was good ****....

None of that mitigates what I said. You seem to begrudge poor people making the same foolish decisions you want to make for yourself.
I don't want to make foolish decisions for myself. What a jerk!

If you think their life is so great, ask if you would switch places. With your superior intellect and work ethic, you could pull yourself out of their poverty in no time?
I pull myself out of poverty all of the time while paying for my groceries and rent. I had to commute 1.5 hours every day for the first year of pharmacy school because it was too expensive to move to New Orleans. The rental rates are sky-high here when compared to other places in this part of the country. How does $900/month for a one bedroom apartment sound? The rates have come down a tiny bit since I've moved here, but not very much.

Do you realize that you're talking to a group of students? Several of us on this forum get very little help or nothing at all from our families, yet we still have the willpower to deny welfare.

Jerry,
Next time someone brags about something like that, just tell them that you don't like it. They only want your reaction and attention anyway.

Do you realize that you're talking to a group of students? Several of us on this forum get very little help or nothing at all from our families, yet we still have the willpower to deny welfare.

But we're students who a) chose to put themselves in this financial position and b) will eventually receive a six figure pay check.

The "poor student" argument is so unbelievably weak. Not denying you're poor but man it's nothing like real poverty.

But we're students who a) chose to put themselves in this financial position and b) will eventually receive a six figure pay check.

The "poor student" argument is so unbelievably weak. Not denying you're poor but man it's nothing like real poverty.

Are you serious?! I can't even believe you wrote that. Nothing like real poverty? Last year when I filed my income taxes using Turbotax (free if you are poor, even for people like me who aren't in "real poverty") it said that I had a net operating loss..I only made it through last year without borrowing money because I lived off of savings I gained through my job as a Target cashier in high school. Yes, I chose to go to college so that I will have a good future for myself because I don't want to depend on the state and the hard work of others to provide for me. I am taking responsibility for myself.
My point is, I do work hard and I do make it on a next to nothing income. Yet I pay for my medicine and do not depend on others to take responsibility for MY choices/mistakes/etc. Don't tell me that this is nothing like real poverty, you don't know what my life is like. Don't make it out to be a bad thing that I "chose" this position..would you honestly prefer me to sit on my ass all day long and live off of YOUR money?

Are you serious?! I can't even believe you wrote that. Nothing like real poverty? Last year when I filed my income taxes using Turbotax (free if you are poor, even for people like me who aren't in "real poverty") it said that I had a net operating loss..I only made it through last year without borrowing money because I lived off of savings I gained through my job as a Target cashier in high school. Yes, I chose to go to college so that I will have a good future for myself because I don't want to depend on the state and the hard work of others to provide for me. I am taking responsibility for myself.
My point is, I do work hard and I do make it on a next to nothing income. Yet I pay for my medicine and do not depend on others to take responsibility for MY choices/mistakes/etc. Don't tell me that this is nothing like real poverty, you don't know what my life is like. Don't make it out to be a bad thing that I "chose" this position..would you honestly prefer me to sit on my ass all day long and live off of YOUR money?

It depends on whose definition of REAL you're looking at. Barely scraping by, using your own savings, is definitely living in poverty to me. But I also have a roof over my head and know where the money is coming from to pay my utility bills and my rent. Having dealt with people on a daily basis who are senior citizens living in LA making $700/mo social security with no family close by to assist, no savings, and paying rent of $600/mo and having to choose between meds, utilities, and food. I'd hate to be in that position. Of course, that's not really what's being discussed here, but it's yet another definition of REAL poverty that I certainly don't qualify for, fortunately. To a limited extent poverty is subjective.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel for you. You know you can hold off and not go on government assistance because at some point you'll be making at least $100k a year.

And yes, the fact you chose to pursue a doctorate degree makes your situation different from others. I doubt that your options were simply enroll in a PharmD program or go on welfare. If you are smart enough to get into a PharmD program there are endless other options to make a living and not have to live with this much debt, scraping by on loans.

It's not a bad thing that you chose this path... it's just ridiculous to compare your financial situation to others who live in poverty.

Sadly, I don't think you realize how privileged you are in life to even get to his point where you can earn a doctorate degree.

the fact you chose to pursue a doctorate degree makes your situation different from others. I doubt that your options were simply enroll in a PharmD program or go on welfare. If you are smart enough to get into a PharmD program there are endless other options to make a living and not have to live with this much debt, scraping by on loans.

It's not a bad thing that you chose this path... it's just ridiculous to compare your financial situation to others who live in poverty.

Sadly, I don't think you realize how privileged you are in life to even get to his point where you can earn a doctorate degree.
I know Haley personally. She works very, very hard. What was it Haley, three jobs this summer plus school? You have to work to live yet you have to study to keep a scholarship... it's a tight balance that is very difficult to pull off. Keep up the good work!!!

It is not ridiculous to compare a situation of increasing debt to poverty! What happens when I can't finish pharmacy school for some unforeseeable reason? How the hell am I suppose to get a job that will pay for the $800/month of debt plus what it costs to live without the degree? There is an opportunity cost associated with school. It takes guts and a sense of empowerment to take that risk. Nothing is set in stone. It's unnerving to think about $50,000 of debt when I don't have the PharmD degree to show for it yet. Oh and by the way, I can't get any additional loan money other than the amount for tuition. My federal Stafford loans are maxed out (I can only get the max for an undergrad student, because we're considered undergrads until we're P3's, and I refuse to burden my mother any further by asking her to cosign for my school loan!!!).

Sadly, I don't think you realize how hard it is to be in our position...

If you post anything else, I will lay everything out on the table :mad: and then you will truly feel like the dingus that you are.

I pull myself out of poverty all of the time while paying for my groceries and rent. I had to commute 1.5 hours every day for the first year of pharmacy school because it was too expensive to move to New Orleans. The rental rates are sky-high here when compared to other places in this part of the country. How does $900/month for a one bedroom apartment sound? The rates have come down a tiny bit since I've moved here, but not very much.

Jerry,
Next time someone brags about something like that, just tell them that you don't like it. They only want your reaction and attention anyway.

hey...i feel your pain...that's why i dont live in NYC

I say people in pharmacy school *should* go on welfare during school. I figure after working for 30+ years and paying taxes, you'd have it paid back and then some.

Still, it's good for the economy. Rich people save more money because they don't have to spend it. Poor people spend the **** out of money as soon as they get it due to necessity.....and it goes right back into the hands of the rich folk, anyway. Gotsta keep that capitalism in check....

Not that anyone here is in this boat themself, but what bugs me is providers who give inferior care to people who use state assistance because they have a problem with how their tax money is being spent. Not only is it unprofessional, but inadequate care makes the system cost more overall, which is just dumb to do if you already don't like paying into it.

Not that anyone here is in this boat themself, but what bugs me is providers who give inferior care to people who use state assistance because they have a problem with how their tax money is being spent. Not only is it unprofessional, but inadequate care makes the system cost more overall, which is just dumb to do if you already don't like paying into it.

Maybe that subpar care is due to poor reimbursement rates

I know Haley personally. She works very, very hard. What was it Haley, three jobs this summer plus school? You have to work to live yet you have to study to keep a scholarship... it's a tight balance that is very difficult to pull off. Keep up the good work!!!

It is not ridiculous to compare a situation of increasing debt to poverty! What happens when I can't finish pharmacy school for some unforeseeable reason? How the hell am I suppose to get a job that will pay for the $800/month of debt plus what it costs to live without the degree? There is an opportunity cost associated with school. It takes guts and a sense of empowerment to take that risk. Nothing is set in stone. It's unnerving to think about $50,000 of debt when I don't have the PharmD degree to show for it yet. Oh and by the way, I can't get any additional loan money other than the amount for tuition. My federal Stafford loans are maxed out (I can only get the max for an undergrad student, because we're considered undergrads until we're P3's, and I refuse to burden my mother any further by asking her to cosign for my school loan!!!).

Sadly, I don't think you realize how hard it is to be in our position...

If you post anything else, I will lay everything out on the table :mad: and then you will truly feel like the dingus that you are.

If you can't understand the difference between you as a PharmD candidate and those who live in a cycle of poverty then you're hopeless.

Lather, rinse, repeat.... you chose to accept those loans, you chose your financial situation, and to boot you have the luxury of knowing that in at least four years you'll have job security, a upper-middle/upper-class life style, and all the social perks of having a doctorate degree. Yes your situation sucks, yes you're poor but most likely unless you attend a school with an absolutely dismal retention rate you have a way out in the foreseeable future and you had a choice.

How about instead of complaining to me how awful it is to be a doctorate candidate you try doing that to someone who was born into poverty. After that you can also let me know how your foot tastes along with how awful life is when you have the ability to get this far in your education.

If you can't understand the difference between you as a PharmD candidate and those who live in a cycle of poverty then you're hopeless.
How about instead of complaining to me how awful it is to be a doctorate candidate you try doing that to someone who was born into poverty. After that you can also let me know how your foot tastes along with how awful life is when you have the ability to get this far in your education.
I was born into poverty *******. You're a "hopeless" *****.
If you really want to take a walk into my past, just let me know...

I've gotten this far because I was lucky. My brother wasn't as lucky. I saw what my parents went through, and I knew that I didn't want to live their lives. Thankfully, I was able to make sense out of what I saw.
My entire family wishes me well, because they know that I will be there to carry them out of despair when need be. I just have to graduate first. Hopefully my upcoming nephew will be the last person to enter into our family before I graduate. His birth will be state-assisted.

I was born into poverty *******. You're a "hopeless" *****.
If you really want to take a walk into my past, just let me know...

I've gotten this far because I was lucky. My brother wasn't as lucky. I saw what my parents went through, and I knew that I didn't want to live their lives. Thankfully, I was able to make sense out of what I saw.
My entire family wishes me well, because they know that I will be there to carry them out of despair when need be. I just have to graduate first. Hopefully my upcoming nephew will be the last person to enter into our family before I graduate. His birth will be state-assisted.

Same here- Lucky, hardworking, and have some sense. I am one of 5 girls in my family and the only one in college. The others all have multiple kids and have been or are on public assistance. One sister bought a sidekick with her welfare money. :rolleyes:

Bull-****. You got this far because you made the right choices in your life. Unlike the people on welfare who by I-Phones, you made other decisions. You exercised the freedoms God granted you as a citizen of the greatest country in the history of humanity.

You may have been born dirt poor, but is does not determine where you will end up. Only you can do that. I applaud you. Don't be upset with the people who use their welfare money unwisely. They will still be on welfare when you are making $120,000.00 per year. That is their choice. They have the right to make it for themselves. America is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes. Your ability and your work ethic will take you out of poverty. There are plenty of people who come from from more advantageous economic backgrounds who will not be as successful as you.

Maybe that subpar care is due to poor reimbursement rates
No. There is a desire from some to link level of care with financial reimbursement, but current reimbursement schemes don't reflect it. Most of us are paid to show up and the level of care we offer while we are at work is a matter of personal choice and company policy. In other words, when we treat two patients differently because Medicaid pays us $4.27 while Regence pays us $5.62, we are just allowing our personal biases to interfere with professional duties. Most people who would treat the Medicaid patient like crap would probably still treat the Medicaid patient like crap if Regence was the one bringing in the lower rate.

Regence??

I found this: "We are a not-for-profit organization and the largest affiliation of health care Plans in the Pacific Northwest/Mountain region. Our four Plans include Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and parts of Washington."

Is is just a type of blue cross/blue shield?