Yet another Diversity Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffein3

Projection Room above the Auditorium
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, just as many applicants before me have asked, I was wondering if this would be the topic of a good diversity essay. I have two topics I could possibly talk about. I am a white upper middle class male.

1. My father was a doctor. Used his power to prescribe drugs and got arrested. I was high SES, homeless for a bit, had to move and family had to start all over, etc. Obviously affected me a great deal and has given me a lot of insight into the doctor I want to be and has helped me develop who I am. My problem with this is that I feel as though it might be too sad or sappy. I touched on it in my PS but I try to avoid it because I don't want to sound like a pity party (I am perfectly comfortable discussing it though). I would like to discuss my diversity as having lived on both sides of SES, and how that has inspired me to serve the underprivileged (excuse my cliché phrasing).

2. This one is a little more light hearted and quirky, haha. I play a somewhat unorthodox sport on the national level. I have competed on the national stage multiple times representing my university as a leader and student athlete (just club sport not D1). I've even had the opportunity to play on ESPN! I was thinking I could bring diversity to the class as a leader of a sports team and the fact that my hobby has developed into potentially getting professionally drafted. My problem is that it this isn't as serious as number one, but it still is a big part of "who I am".

Thoughts, comments? All are appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an oddly similar story to number 1 and it's definitely a major part of my application. There are other things that make me quirky/unique, but I felt like I was leaving out a major part of myself if I didn't discuss number 1 enough. The truth is that living on both sides of the socioeconomic spectrum really forced me to grow up, humbled me, shaped my outlook on a lot of things and is a huge motivating factor for me to go into this career. I look at things through a different lens now than I did before. I think there's an appropriate way to discuss this topic without it sounding victimized, and it will definitely shine a light on the adversity you've overcome.

If you feel like you're doing your application justice by only briefly mentioning number 1, then there's nothing wrong with that! This is your application and you get to decide what you what adcoms to know about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an oddly similar story to number 1 and it's definitely a major part of my application. There are other things that make me quirky/unique, but I felt like I was leaving out a major part of myself if I didn't discuss number 1 enough. The truth is that living on both sides of the socioeconomic spectrum really forced me to grow up, humbled me, shaped my outlook on a lot of things and is a huge motivating factor for me to go into this career. I look at things through a different lens now than I did before. I think there's an appropriate way to discuss this topic without it sounding victimized, and it will definitely shine a light on the adversity you've overcome.

If you feel like you're doing your application justice by only briefly mentioning number 1, then there's nothing wrong with that! This is your application and you get to decide what you what adcoms to know about you.

I'm glad you have the same feeling, and I feel as though we may be very similar physicians in the future. I think since number 1 is inherently more of what defined me as a person I am most likely going to write about it. You've described my feelings about the situation exactly! Just want to make sure I don't come off as whiny :)

I don't think you could go wrong with either as long as you don't sulk in option 1 (making it a pity party) which you have already expressed you wouldn't. I know I would be interested to read about both. What sport is it if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think you could go wrong with either as long as you don't sulk in option 1 (making it a pity party) which you have already expressed you wouldn't. I know I would be interested to read about both. What sport is it if you don't mind me asking?

Ultimate Frisbee, actually! Hope that doesn't give away my identity too much hah.

I touched on it in my PS but I try to avoid it because I don't want to sound like a pity party (I am perfectly comfortable discussing it though).
Avoiding a pity party is actually easier than a lot of us think. Basically, after you write something, reread it and ask yourself: "Is the focus of this essay on how hard it was to be SES disadvantaged, or is it on what I learned and how it has shaped me as a person?" If the answer is the former, you're throwing a pity party. If the answer is the latter, you are not throwing a pity party.

I think a lot of conscientious people are hyper-aware of how mentioning difficult life experiences can sound like you're pulling the victim card (probably because a lot of us have seen our fair share of people who are out looking for everyone's pity). However, just mentioning difficult experiences is not inherently throwing a pity party. It's only when the main focus of the mention of the difficult circumstances is how hard you had it that it becomes problematic.

Avoiding a pity party is actually easier than a lot of us think. Basically, after you write something, reread it and ask yourself: "Is the focus of this essay on how hard it was to be SES disadvantaged, or is it on what I learned and how it has shaped me as a person?" If the answer is the former, you're throwing a pity party. If the answer is the latter, you are not throwing a pity party.

I think a lot of conscientious people are hyper-aware of how mentioning difficult life experiences can sound like you're pulling the victim card (probably because a lot of us have seen our fair share of people who are out looking for everyone's pity). However, just mentioning difficult experiences is not inherently throwing a pity party. It's only when the main focus of the mention of the difficult circumstances is how hard you had it that it becomes problematic.

Exactly! I most definitely will focus on how the event shaped me, rather than the event itself. And thank you very much for the tip!

Exactly! I most definitely will focus on how the event shaped me, rather than the event itself. And thank you very much for the tip!
You're welcome! Best of luck on your applications.