Yet another matching chances question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phenytoin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just started 3rd yet what are my chances of matching into ortho in NYC or LA?
Step 1 is 257. I have some research but unrelated to ortho and no publications.
I realize 3rd year grades will be important and step 2 may also play a role but I still would
Like some guidance regarding my current situation.
Is it critical for me to find an ortho research project?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just started 3rd yet what are my chances of matching into ortho in NYC or LA?
I realize 3rd year grades will be important and step 2 may also play a role but I still would

Thanks for the help!

It's possible.

It's critical.

Thanks for the help!

You give your step one score and virtually no other information and then ask a bunch of anonymous people on a forum what your chances of matching into ortho are in New York or Los Angeles.

Marinate on that a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll look into ortho research then. How important is step 2?

Some schools like UCLA are requiring Step 2 before they rank you, so its getting to be more important. I personally decided to take mine early just so that I could have a more complete application. A lot folks advise though that if you did well on step 1 you should put off taking step 2 early. I don't agree, unless you are sure that you will suck balls on step 2.