Yet another question concerning "publishings"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c0mpletec0ntrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As if this topic doesn't come up enough... I was curious whether the "publishings" portion of the average pre-medical resume absolutely HAD to be in a scientific journal concerning research. I have a monthly column in a Cardiology Newsletter at a very well respected hospital (I really don't want to toot my own horn, just trying to convey its value). Would this count as a "publishing"? Keep in mind its a review article so I'm not necessarily contributing my own information, but I very well could because there aren't really any limits to my article. Thanks in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

As if this topic doesn't come up enough... I was curious whether the "publishings" portion of the average pre-medical resume absolutely HAD to be in a scientific journal concerning research. I have a monthly column in a Cardiology Newsletter at a very well respected hospital (I really don't want to toot my own horn, just trying to convey its value). Would this count as a "publishing"? Keep in mind its a review article so I'm not necessarily contributing my own information, but I very well could because there aren't really any limits to my article. Thanks in advance guys!

If you want to list something under publications, it should be a peer reviewed article. I don't know if a newsletter counts.

Is it a newsletter for patients or for professionals? I think the former would be worth mentioning, but would not warrant being classified as a "publication" for the auspices of the application cylce, whereas the latter would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of what it classifies as, it sounds like great experience. If you wouldn't mind sharing with us, how were you able to get a job like that? I'm a big fan of writing, so a medical newsletter is something I'd like to get involved in.

You can definitely list that on your pre-med CV.

Publication in peer-reviewed journals isn't a prerequisite for inclusion even in professional CV's.

Thanks so much for the responses guys! The newsletter isn't for patients as much as its for the cardiology unit/cath lab/CCU and its employees, primarily as an update to keep us feeling like a connected community.

Regardless of what it classifies as, it sounds like great experience. If you wouldn't mind sharing with us, how were you able to get a job like that? I'm a big fan of writing, so a medical newsletter is something I'd like to get involved in.

I can't argue with the fact that its great experience! A friend of mine whom is the unit coordinator for one of the floors actually started it. Hes allowing me a monthly column because he not only needs content, but feels as though it would be a stimulating read. All employees can contribute! If you want to get involved and start your own, its extremely easy! What he did was just inquired to our supervisor, got her OK, and threw out a mass email to the residents, nurses, cna's, etc for obtaining content, and every month he puts it together with a desktop publisher, and prints it right on the floor. And there you have it, an official monthly newsletter.

The newsletter isn't for patients as much as its for the cardiology unit/cath lab/CCU and its employees, primarily as an update to keep us feeling like a connected community.

So what are you writing about exactly?

So what are you writing about exactly?

I really don't have any limitations as long as it correlates to cardiology in some manner. Typically I'll review publications, give synopses, and such. If anyone has any ideas they'd like to throw my way, I'm all ears. Heart healthy recipes are included in the newsletter as are prohibited medical abbreviations, staff updates, unit updates, recent news in the field. As you can see my options are pretty open.

I seriously doubt any admissions committee would give you any grief whatsoever about listing what you do as a publication, so long as you go into plenty of detail describing it. What you are doing is very impressive, especially since you keep it up every month.