Yet another Research thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, any schools out there that strongly strongly prefer you have research experience? I recall reading somewhere that some schools secondary actually asked you to talk about your research experience...considering I ahve none - I would be at a huge disadvantage and would rather just save my $ and not apply there. This research bit annoys the hell out of me because:

A) I don't like research
B) I am not a science major (math/philo)
C) I spent my time on sports

So, what schools are gonna fry me for having no research?

Members don't see this ad.

Still running? Chump?

ankitovich said:
Still running? Chump?

I was, I did a 6 miler earlier in the week and my knee started bothering me again:( It's all good, rowing starts again tommorrow morning - w00t

--Chump

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerbernator said:
ok, any schools out there that strongly strongly prefer you have research experience? I recall reading somewhere that some schools secondary actually asked you to talk about your research experience...considering I ahve none - I would be at a huge disadvantage and would rather just save my $ and not apply there. This research bit annoys the hell out of me because:

A) I don't like research
B) I am not a science major (math/philo)
C) I spent my time on sports

Not positive, but this might be correlated with strong research schools? As in, strong research schools are more likely than the norm to want research-oriented medical students.

BubbleBobble said:
Not positive, but this might be correlated with strong research schools? As in, strong research schools are more likely than the norm to want research-oriented medical students.

Probably but I imagine that some schools are probably more adamant about it than others. For instance, it seems I heard Cornell is hardcore about research whereas Harvard and Yale seem to be more into "superstars".

Duke and Pritzker specifically have essay questions pertaining to how you liked research and how much experience you've had.

Cerbernator said:
ok, any schools out there that strongly strongly prefer you have research experience?

A general rule: US news' top 30 research schools will fry you with no research--especially if your numbers are lukewarm.

Edit: are luke warm. If your numbers suck you won't be given time of day.

Cerbernator said:
Probably but I imagine that some schools are probably more adamant about it than others. For instance, it seems I heard Cornell is hardcore about research whereas Harvard and Yale seem to be more into "superstars".
No no no... you got it twisted. Yale is looking for the researchers. Damn, they have a thesis requirment for pete's sake. You gotta be both for top ten: superstar and researcher- by researcher I don't mean washing testubes for a grad student who put you down as third author just to make you feel better.

I am glad that I really don't care much about ranking then. There are a few I will be applying to anyway though. UMICH, Yale (for ****s and giggles), UCSF (****s and giggles), StanFURD (s&g).

I guess i'll just hope they see my incredibly unusual background and overlook the research dilly.

Every top 20 research medical school is looking for researchers. Someone I know was summarily dismissed by an interviewer for not having had research experience at one of the schools you mentioned as only caring about "superstars"

If youre a traditional applicant and dont want to do research/havent done research, definitely stay away from every top 10 school and most of the top 20.

Gleevec said:
Every top 20 research medical school is looking for researchers. Someone I know was summarily dismissed by an interviewer for not having had research experience at one of the schools you mentioned as only caring about "superstars"

If youre a traditional applicant and dont want to do research/havent done research, definitely stay away from every top 10 school and most of the top 20.

What do you mean by dismissed? Gleev, do you have AIM?

U Chicago asks specifically about research, but by the time you answer their other three really annoying questions, you'll be happy you don't have to answer the touchy-feely question about how doing research changed the way you viewed the world. At times like this I really wish we had a puking smiley.

Anyway, even at U Chicago, many of the people I interviewed with didn't have sigificant research, and some didn't have any. At Harvard, Hopkins, and Penn, there were large numbers of people w/o research. Penn especially seemed to attract more of the community service oriented crowd, but Harvard had it's fair share.

Best,
Anka

I agree, pretty much every school in the USNWR Top 30 is looking for potential researchers and academic physicians. All of these schools have their high ranking for that very reason: their research and development status/potential/money. Sure, they admit people naked of any research whatsoever now and then, but they are actively looking for physicians who can double as scientists, professors, clinical experimentalists, etc. This is especially true of the top 10. Schools like Yale, UCSF, Stanford and UMich (the ones you've listed, Cerb) would definitely prefer if you had research experience. Can you get admitted there without research? Of course. Is it more likely than not? Unfortunately, I don't think so.

They're looking for 'leaders in medicine'. That usually means academic medicine; it can also mean someone who will lead politically, business-wise, etc. It's usually research, but not always.

Anka

don't lose all hope. i know several individuals w/o research experience, or with research experience entirely unrelated to medicine (history, literature, whatever), who got into top 5 schools. i'm sure these schools regard research as a big plus, but if you've got other major strengths (numbers, extracurrics) you've still got a shot.