Y'know what would be cool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rEliseMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking today that I never know exactly what kind of sound level I'm exposing myself to. Wouldn't it be great if instead of just a blank volume bar, Apple included decibels in the iPod volume interface? I'd pay extra for that.

It's different to say, "Don't listen to music you can't hear people over," than it is to say, "You're exposing yourself to 100+ decibel music."

With a widespread implementation of something like that, it'd be much easier to launch a campaign to prevent NIHL. There could be a catchy slogan, like, "86 your hearing loss; turn it to the left!"

anyway. I'm a hypocrite. As I'm typing this, I've probably got 100 decibels in my ears.

But it would be nice to know...

Members don't see this ad.

If the volume bar indicated the decibel level it would refer to the voltage output rather than the sound pressure level. For example, it is common to see decibel levels on home stereo receivers which reflect this voltage output. In order for the iPod readout to accurately reflect the ear canal sound pressure level, a microphone would need to be located within the earbud which would increase both its size and cost. This would reduce appeal to the consumer and the manufacturer would lose money. It's a nice thought though.

If the volume bar indicated the decibel level it would refer to the voltage output rather than the sound pressure level. For example, it is common to see decibel levels on home stereo receivers which reflect this voltage output. In order for the iPod readout to accurately reflect the ear canal sound pressure level, a microphone would need to be located within the earbud which would increase both its size and cost. This would reduce appeal to the consumer and the manufacturer would lose money. It's a nice thought though.

Good point. This is why I need the physics course I'm taking this summer. :)

ALTHOUGH, those new headphones coming out (DiddyBeats, Lady Gaga's brand, etc.) are larger and people seem to be eating those up. Hmm. Oh well. In my Utopian society, we will have DBSPL on every media delivery device. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)