You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Yo Yo Yo guys, any AP Calculus BC online learning website ?
Started by tennisball80
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You wont get credit for it unless its from your highschool, its not college.
I dont know of any but the best thing to do is look at MIT courseware and stuff, watch calculus vids, buy some AP CALC BC books, and then just pay your school to take the exam.
I dont know of any but the best thing to do is look at MIT courseware and stuff, watch calculus vids, buy some AP CALC BC books, and then just pay your school to take the exam.
You wont get credit for it unless its from your highschool, its not college.
I dont know of any but the best thing to do is look at MIT courseware and stuff, watch calculus vids, buy some AP CALC BC books, and then just pay your school to take the exam.
I would NOT advise trying to learn BC calc on your own. I would just take the highest you can take in your high school and then doing whatever calc you place into in college. It really isn't that bad and you can probably use it to boost your GPA.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would NOT advise trying to learn BC calc on your own. I would just take the highest you can take in your high school and then doing whatever calc you place into in college. It really isn't that bad and you can probably use it to boost your GPA.
I dont see why not if he has a good calculus background. Remember BC is just has a few topics added to AB, and its possible to do with studying and some video lectures. On the other hand one who doesnt have a calculus background and is trying to go from pre-calc to BC without class room instruction probably will not pass the test.
Also the BC test, gives an AB subscore, OP should be fine given he has a calc background.
Last edited:
I dont see why not if he has a good calculus background. Remember BC is just has a few topics added to AB, and its possible to do with studying and some video lectures. On the other hand one who doesnt have a calculus background and is trying to go from pre-calc to BC without class room instruction probably will not pass the test.
Also the BC test, gives an AB subscore, OP should be fine given he has a calc background.
True, I was assuming he didn't have any AP Calc background. If you have any, I would then suggest the BC test because, as EyEnStein mentioned, the BC test incorporates an AB subscore. If this is true go for it, I can give you the ISBN of my calc book I used in college if you think that might help. However, if you don't have any previous schooling in calc, I wouldn't suggest it. Send me a PM if you are interested though.
Depending on what state you're in, you may be able to take it through Virtual School. However, I believe every state's Virtual School is run differently (some even have multiple ones), so, unless its reputable, trying it out for the first time with an AP class probably isn't the best idea.
True, I was assuming he didn't have any AP Calc background. If you have any, I would then suggest the BC test because, as EyEnStein mentioned, the BC test incorporates an AB subscore. If this is true go for it, I can give you the ISBN of my calc book I used in college if you think that might help. However, if you don't have any previous schooling in calc, I wouldn't suggest it. Send me a PM if you are interested though.
Ohh i see what your saying. Well in that sense, i assumed he had AP calc AB, since he was aiming to take BC. IF you dont have calc background OP, its probably better if you prepped for AB. You can just buy Barrons, and other AP review books and learn full topics from there. Realize this can be difficult if you dont have the proper math background, and many concepts will be new. Try to go to some tutoring in your school thats already available for Calculus students, hoping your school has them.
Depending on what state you're in, you may be able to take it through Virtual School. However, I believe every state's Virtual School is run differently (some even have multiple ones), so, unless its reputable, trying it out for the first time with an AP class probably isn't the best idea.
If by virtual school you mean online college, it might be better to take the AP. Atleast with the AP you dont get a too specific letter grade as you might with a virtual school. Usually if you get a 3+ on the AP , it is accepted as major credit assuming you arent a math major. I think that AP is far better than a virtual school, just my opinion. Also credit transfering might be a problem from a virtual school, in the likely cases that they are not accredited or if your prospective college doesnt accept those credits because they dont recognize the course code and description as equivalent to calculus 1 at there school.
If by virtual school you mean online college, it might be better to take the AP. Atleast with the AP you dont get a too specific letter grade as you might with a virtual school. Usually if you get a 3+ on the AP , it is accepted as major credit assuming you arent a math major. I think that AP is far better than a virtual school, just my opinion. Also credit transfering might be a problem from a virtual school, in the likely cases that they are not accredited or if your prospective college doesnt accept those credits because they dont recognize the course code and description as equivalent to calculus 1 at there school.
Perhaps its different for other areas, but here in Florida we have Florida Virtual School (FLVS to be brief) that's a government supported school system used as an alternative to normal high school. You can take classes online, including AP classes, and communicate with teachers through email and phone calls. At the end of the year you go to a local high school to take the AP tests like the rest of the students.
With FLVS you get high school credits if you pass the class just as if you'd been sitting in a classroom. A lot of kids down here use it if they're at a high school that doesn't offer the classes they want or if they're behind on some credits to graduate they can take FLVS in addition to attending high school. Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with FLVS and have no idea how similar virtual school programs are set up in other states. Tennisball, if you really need the credits to graduate, you may want to look into it. In my experience it was one of the only viable options after I was stupid and forgot to take an art class all throughout highschool, only to realize this semester I needed the credit to graduate.
Perhaps its different for other areas, but here in Florida we have Florida Virtual School (FLVS to be brief) that's a government supported school system used as an alternative to normal high school. You can take classes online, including AP classes, and communicate with teachers through email and phone calls. At the end of the year you go to a local high school to take the AP tests like the rest of the students.
With FLVS you get high school credits if you pass the class just as if you'd been sitting in a classroom. A lot of kids down here use it if they're at a high school that doesn't offer the classes they want or if they're behind on some credits to graduate they can take FLVS in addition to attending high school. Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with FLVS and have no idea how similar virtual school programs are set up in other states. Tennisball, if you really need the credits to graduate, you may want to look into it. In my experience it was one of the only viable options after I was stupid and forgot to take an art class all throughout highschool, only to realize this semester I needed the credit to graduate.
Yes, something like this is fine, as long as you take the AP.
What i was saying..is along the lines of taking a course online, and getting "credits" for it that "count towards college"....if FVLS offers an AP AB prepcourse, or something online, which at the end requires a student to sign up for the AP thats different. Thats actually legitimate even if FVLS is not accredited because FVLS probably wont show up on a high school transcript or if it does, its probably a highschool credit NOT college credit, as in a "grade" is given. Its just a prep and you take the AP from collegeboard.
I dont see why not if he has a good calculus background. Remember BC is just has a few topics added to AB, and its possible to do with studying and some video lectures. On the other hand one who doesnt have a calculus background and is trying to go from pre-calc to BC without class room instruction probably will not pass the test.
Also the BC test, gives an AB subscore, OP should be fine given he has a calc background.
I taught quite a few students who did the pre-cal to BC jump and got 4s and 5s.
I taught quite a few students who did the pre-cal to BC jump and got 4s and 5s.
Thats because your a physics pro lol =D
yeah, but do you think those same students would have gotten 4's or 5's had you handed them books and not tutored or taught?
I taught quite a few students who did the pre-cal to BC jump and got 4s and 5s.
Yeah, our HS had it set up so you just did pre-calc then AB or BC calc.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 558
E
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E