You guys really got me worried.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killinsound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like alot of you guys/girls are brilliant. Hearing rejection stories of people who have better grades has gotten me shaken up a bit.

I'm a 3rd-4th year at UCLA who decided to do the whole med thing about one year ago.

1st-2nd year my cumulative GPA was around a 3.1, but since then I have raised it to a 3.4. My science GPA is around a 3.73 and if you take my GPA post non-motivation period, it would be around the same (3.7).

I have yet to take the MCATs yet, but on the old ones I have been getting 34-35.

Please tell me I have a decent chance of getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like alot of you guys/girls are brilliant. Hearing rejection stories of people who have better grades has gotten me shaken up a bit.

I'm a 3rd-4th year at UCLA who decided to do the whole med thing about one year ago.

1st-2nd year my cumulative GPA was around a 3.1, but since then I have raised it to a 3.4. My science GPA is around a 3.73 and if you take my GPA post non-motivation period, it would be around the same (3.7).

I have yet to take the MCATs yet, but on the old ones I have been getting 34-35.

You have a decent chance of getting into medical school. :)

I wouldn't sweat it. You're in good shape. Remember, SDN is only a SMALL sample of all pre-meds. I, for one, am no "brilliant" SDNer but I've managed to sack some interviews so far.

As for brilliant SDNers getting rejected, schools are not only trying to matriculate super brainiacs but students who also fit their mission statement. Maybe a person with a 4.0 and a 38 MCAT got rejected from a school b/c their philosophy in medicine didn't accord with the school.

The bottom-line is, relax! SDN has a way of scaring us, including me, more than easing our minds. Hope that helped.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in a similar situation, but I started with a lower gpa. I guess we'll see how we do :D

what's your major at UCLA?

You are good to go. Just make sure you bring out the better side of you and have a strong personal statement. And yeah, SDN is only a small subset of the entire population of students, so don't worry if things on this forum seems intimidating to you (it was for me). Good luck tho!

the whole point of SDN is so that it worries everyone
hhaa

You will be fine.
My first semester was a lot of F's and I dropped out. How's that for a rough start?
Your MCAT is strong, and you have a great upward trend. You have a good shot. :)

Is this because of that rejection website?

Honestly, you'll be fine. But don't have your heart set on one med school, because no one is guaranteed their first choice.
-Dr. P.

with a sci gpa and MCAT that (hopefully) high, you will be fine. we're not brilliant. at least on my part, i'm not brilliant. people around me seriously think i'm a smart guy (not making this stuff up) but i've made a huge mistake that has kept me out of med school. we're all stupid at some point. for me, i just had the stupid shocked out of my system.