You Know You Are A Neurotic Premed When...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when you have figured out how to draw smiley faces with organic chemistry structures... and have used it as a review for exams

Members don't see this ad.

When you make a B in a class, you post on SDN to ask if you still have a chance, only to be told you should look at the Carribean :cool:

When you are on Spring Break, and you take your iPod to a bar and listen to ExamKrackers instead of the band playing.

Whe you spend your spring break shadowing in the OR instead of going to the beach:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
the only videos you watch on youtube have to do with understanding concepts for the mcat=)
when you still refer to yourself as a premed student even though you actually graduated=)
you have a different excel sheet for LORs, and every time you take a practice full lengths you do a thorough mathematical analysis of your scores.
when you actually liked orgo=)
your professors expected to see you every time in their office hours
every single person you have ever met knows what type of doc you want to be and why
when you can think of nothing else..and have been able to think of nothing else but getting into med school since since high school.
when the idea of studying all the time excites you
=) i am guilty of them all.

1. is it someone explaining the concepts while jumping off the roof of a house?
2. never referred to myself as a premed even in college
3. though i <3 excel spreadsheets for tracking my life i didn't have one for LORs...though i did record my practice MCAT scores i don't know how you can do meaningful "mathematical analysis" on them
4. like? hmmm, that term is too strong...i prefer tolerated
5. never went to office hours....ever
6. this is just strange
7. umm....sex?!
8. there are so many more things that should excite you besides studying! ....see #7 for one example

When as soon as you finish you last final of the term, you go home, make a pot of coffee, and jump into full-time MCAT studying for Spring Break. Wow I feel lame.

When you're so nervous about interviewing before you even submit your application, that you buy 4 new shirts chosen specifically to look modest and businesslike, but in a sort of unusual way so you'll be remembered...

And I'm only applying to 1 or 2 schools... yeah that's more shirts than I need. Hope I don't gain or lose weight in the next 14 months!

Oh yeah, and hope I even get interviewed!

When as soon as you finish you last final of the term, you go home, make a pot of coffee, and jump into full-time MCAT studying for Spring Break. Wow I feel lame.

Haha yeah I'm like "Sweet! Spring Break! I can do SO MANY mini-MCATs now!"

1) you often have nightmares that you forgot to turn in minor assignments

2) you read healthcare magazines for fun

3) the only thing you watch on television is the Discovery Health Channel (I love "Trauma: Life in the ER")

4) you ask others what their test grades were just to reassure yourself that yours was the highest

5) you trip out over missing one or two questions on an exam because you "totally knew the answer to that one."

oh yeah, and...

6) you refuse sex with a hottie because "studying is more important" (Warning: This will get you slapped)

1. is it someone explaining the concepts while jumping off the roof of a house?
2. never referred to myself as a premed even in college
3. though i <3 excel spreadsheets for tracking my life i didn't have one for LORs...though i did record my practice MCAT scores i don't know how you can do meaningful "mathematical analysis" on them
4. like? hmmm, that term is too strong...i prefer tolerated
5. never went to office hours....ever
6. this is just strange
7. umm....sex?!
8. there are so many more things that should excite you besides studying! ....see #7 for one example

haha
1. no not really.
3. oh there are ways =)
7. lol =)
8. i would say studying is up there =)

I did the SAME thing, and am doing it right now!

You know you are a Neurotic premed when...

You order a dry erase board in the mail, and cant wait for it to come... Kinda like christmas when you were 9 HAHA!

Members don't see this ad :)
When you make a B in a class, you post on SDN to ask if you still have a chance, only to be told you should look at the Carribean :cool:

Lol I have seen this many time on SDN.

1) you often have nightmares that you forgot to turn in minor assignments

2) you read healthcare magazines for fun

3) the only thing you watch on television is the Discovery Health Channel (I love "Trauma: Life in the ER")

4) you ask others what their test grades were just to reassure yourself that yours was the highest

5) you trip out over missing one or two questions on an exam because you "totally knew the answer to that one."

All of these are exactly how I am! I like "Mystery Diagnosis" and "Diagnosis X", but the latter doesn't come out as often.

And to contribute to the thread, you know you are a psycho pre-med when you take notes while watching "Grey's Anatomy" ... jk!

1) y

Wow good man, I thought I was the only one....:D

However, my favorite is Untold Stories of the E.R. :love:

Well... as pathetic as it is, I guess I could make one of these out of it:

*whatever number this is* You actually emailed Discovery Health to complain about the all-day baby shows and angrily suggest that they change it to put the "Good" shows back on :cool:

...which causes you to DVR every single episode of Trauma, Untold, Mystery Diagnosis/Diagnosis X, and Code Blue that you find within the next week...... =P

Well... as pathetic as it is, I guess I could make one of these out of it:

*whatever number this is* You actually emailed Discovery Health to complain about the all-day baby shows and angrily suggest that they change it to put the "Good" shows back on :cool:

...which causes you to DVR every single episode of Trauma, Untold, Mystery Diagnosis/Diagnosis X, and Code Blue that you find within the next week...... =P

Seriously, what is up with those baby shows? I mean OBGYN is a great specialty and all but that birthing business has hijacked my favorite channel on television. I hope you did send them a complaint.

As for the latter part of your comment, I have also set my DVR to record all the episodes of the shows you listed. I'm leaving the library right now after a long day and I can't wait to get my daily fix of "Trauma: Life in the ER." :soexcited:

I just though of another one:

You're a neurotic pre-med when you proofread all of your posts in order to avoid diminishing your reputation on the SDN.

You know you are a Neurotic premed when...

You order a dry erase board in the mail, and cant wait for it to come... Kinda like christmas when you were 9 HAHA!

I swear I have wanted one of those things FOREVER! lol. I keep asking for one but no one seems to wanna hook me up :(

Seriously, what is up with those baby shows? I mean OBGYN is a great specialty and all but that birthing business has hijacked my favorite channel on television. I hope you did send them a complaint.

As for the latter part of your comment, I have also set my DVR to record all the episodes of the shows you listed. I'm leaving the library right now after a long day and I can't wait to get my daily fix of "Trauma: Life in the ER." :soexcited:

Oh, I did. I'm sure they just threw it out, but at least they know that somewhere out there, a view is not happy ;)

And I agree, I have nothing against Oby/Gyn, but there really is only so much you can do with a show about infants. Like, just show "Deliver Me" and maybe like one other, and alternate them in with the others shows.

Hahah, nothing better than settling down on the couch with a nice episode of Trauma after a long day :D

You know you're a neurotic pre-med when you go ape**** over getting into a school you know nothing about.

"OMG I HAAAAAAAAVE TO GET INTO UNC. The brochure looks so amazing, and the dean is really nice!"

When you get brought to the hospital by ambulance for chest pains, thinking you're having difficulty breathing due to a pulmonary embolism, when you really just have GERD.

I just though of another one:

You're a neurotic pre-med when you proofread all of your posts in order to avoid diminishing your reputation on the SDN.

Pft, that's what the Edit button is for...

...But I still proofread mine too.

I swear I have wanted one of those things FOREVER! lol. I keep asking for one but no one seems to wanna hook me up :(

I love mine, best thing to do chemistry on! And leave message for me when I pass out drunk! :laugh:

When you get brought to the hospital by ambulance for chest pains, thinking you're having difficulty breathing due to a pulmonary embolism, when you really just have GERD.

LOL.

You go to the ER to get an emergency echo and ekg because you think you are having episodes of atrial fibrillation when you have really just had too much caffeine. :D

You're watching a TV show that mentions the HMS Beagle, and you think to yourself, "What does Harvard Medical School Beagle even mean?"

You go to the ER after you hit your head on the kitchen cabinets, because you MIGHT have a subdural/epidural hematoma like that famous actess just died from...

(i resisted the urge, and at 3 days after the "accident", I'm just fine)

when you have figured out how to draw smiley faces with organic chemistry structures... and have used it as a review for exams

Worse, when you know how to MAKE said smiley face starting with methanol.

Refluxing takes forever... don't judge me.

I love mine, best thing to do chemistry on! And leave message for me when I pass out drunk! :laugh:

This has NOTHING to do with the above quote, it's essentially just a post directed toward you.

YOUR ICON MAKES ME WANT TO DIE. Straight-up die.
Flavins make me so unhappy.
(Last semester, I took an enzyme mechanisms class for no reason... I... it killed me so hard... there were so many flavins... oh god. I can't even go into it)

This has NOTHING to do with the above quote, it's essentially just a post directed toward you.

YOUR ICON MAKES ME WANT TO DIE. Straight-up die.
Flavins make me so unhappy.
(Last semester, I took an enzyme mechanisms class for no reason... I... it killed me so hard... there were so many flavins... oh god. I can't even go into it)

Haha, sorry to hear. I love organic chemistry. "Ribo" is actually my nickname a friend gave me.

After you get up from sitting for 4+ hours straight studying for your anatomy exam, the first thing that pops into your head when you stand up is how your body works to get the blood back up to your body...

When you have lost a whole night's worth of sleep because you took your second Chem I test on Friday, which cover stoichiometry and moles along with other stuff, and you have the sneaking suspicion that you chose the greater of the two values produced when selecting your Limiting Reactant, this worries you because you only got an 89 on the first exam.

I'm gonna die if I don't do better on this exam.

When you have lost a whole night's worth of sleep because you took your second Chem I test on Friday, which cover stoichiometry and moles along with other stuff, and you have the sneaking suspicion that you chose the greater of the two values produced when selecting your Limiting Reactant, this worries you because you only got an 89 on the first exam.

Well, if you were in my gen chem you'd love it 85% is an A. I love the curves in chemistry classes.

Well, if you were in my gen chem you'd love it 85% is an A. I love the curves in chemistry classes.

I hear that his prof is crazy hard, with an average of 40 and an A cut off at 55. His grade was the highest by an entire standard deviation, but a psychic donkey from the future told him that if he doesn't score above a 90 this time he won't be able to be at least two standard deviations above the next highest scorer!

Oh, btw. The next highest scorer intends to kill him unless he is totally awed by the supreme intellect of Jameel. This requires at least a 2 standard deviation gap, or else he will surely die.

I hear that his prof is crazy hard, with an average of 40 and an A cut off at 55. His grade was the highest by an entire standard deviation, but a psychic donkey from the future told him that if he doesn't score above a 90 this time he won't be able to be at least two standard deviations above the next highest scorer!

Oh, btw. The next highest scorer intends to kill him unless he is totally awed by the supreme intellect of Jameel. This requires at least a 2 standard deviation gap, or else he will surely die.

That sounds like a plot for a good straight-to-DVD thriller, it can be called "STDDEV2K9."

YOUR ICON MAKES ME WANT TO DIE.

Lawls. Speaking of icons... are those cupcakes in yours?

If they are, then <3. Cupcakes are a close second to cookies (oh and muffins too).

Haha sorry i love my sugary, fattening, diabetes-laden, artery-clogging junk food.

That sounds like a plot for a good straight-to-DVD thriller, it can be called "STDDEV2K9."

:laugh:

You guys made my morning with that one.

Lawls. Speaking of icons... are those cupcakes in yours?

If they are, then <3. Cupcakes are a close second to cookies (oh and muffins too).

Haha sorry i love my sugary, fattening, diabetes-laden, artery-clogging junk food.

Yes! They are totally cupcakes! Hooray, I'm so glad someone appreciates my cupcakes and decorations :D I had the best time making and decorating them!

UPDATE

I got a 90, not satisfied, but I cheated death by one point.

Can you dig it?

Arise, dear thread, arise!

I'll do the first new one for 2010...

You know you're a neurotic pre-med when you're at a 4th of July barbecue, and while everyone else is playing beer pong, you find the 3 other pre-meddies there and get really excited to talk to them because they're applying this cycle.

Also, if you find yourself wishing you could classify yourself as underprivileged or an underrepresented minority just to give your application that extra edge.

You beg your teacher to change your grade from a 99 to a 100 lol