You know you're addicted to the application process when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...all day you look forward to the rush you get from a screening school's secondary e-mail or an interview invite. "Just one more, just one more."

...you compulsively check your e-mail only to cry and curl up into a little ball when you aren't near a computer.

...you get the shakes after not hearing anything from any school for more than a week.

Members don't see this ad.

..... you wait anxiously at your mailbox each day to grab the mail from the truck as soon as it pulls up.

going through the day's mail, you chuck the birthday cards aside in your search for "official" news.

you go apoplectic and then spit invectives when a primetime sitcom character "decides" he's going to go to med school at the last minute: "i made a call, and my mcat's are still good. i start in a few weeks!" gah!

Members don't see this ad :)
You wake up at all hours of the night and immediately think of how you're gonna check your email early morning

You plan your day around cheking your emails, mailboxes, and phone calls inquiring about your status.

You eat cupcakes to feel better (maybe just me!)

Everytime your phone rings, you pray really hard and your heart sinks

Evrytime you have a new email, you pray really hard and your heart sinks

You com onto SDN to see if there are any movements in the schools you applied to.

Very little can distract you from thinking about your applications

You find yourself dreaming of your 1st day of med school

The VERY first thing you do whenever you have free time is check your email

An admissions director knows your voice personally when you call inquiring about your status

Each day you wake up for ONE reason.....and that's for potentially good news

When you receive a rejection letter, a ball forms in your throat and you hope no one is around

You're broke from the process and it's still early, so you work overtime

You try being optimistc but pretending gets boring

Your cell phone phone book includes the admissions offices of the schools you applied to

etc. etc. etc.

You eat cupcakes to feel better (maybe just me!)

:laugh:

...you've gained 15 pounds since submitting AMCAS by eating comfort foods (candy or macaroni and cheese for me :) ).

Ya'll are wierd.

simple solution, get a blackberry. that way you don't have to always be around a computer... and you've turned the tables, instead of you going out of your way to check your email, your email follows you to your phone and you'll be notified whenever you do get an email so you're not always checking your email needlessly.

the new tmobile blackberry pearl is da bomb.com

it's too bad SDN doesn't have a mobile/PDA version...i guess it's a good thing or else i'd be completely addicted 24/7

simple solution, get a blackberry. that way you don't have to always be around a computer... and you've turned the tables, instead of you going out of your way to check your email, your email follows you to your phone and you'll be notified whenever you do get an email so you're not always checking your email needlessly.

the new tmobile blackberry pearl is da bomb.com

good advice but only useful if we had any money leftover to buy it after applying to a trillion medical schools!! :(

:laugh:

...you've gained 15 pounds since submitting AMCAS by eating comfort foods (candy or macaroni and cheese for me :) ).

Unfortunately, I'm finding this one to be true.

Unfortunately, I'm finding this one to be true.
ditto...I've gained 10lbs since I finished my masters...normally, I'd be losing it, but this process is making me fat.

ditto...I've gained 10lbs since I finished my masters...normally, I'd be losing it, but this process is making me fat.

Weight gainers unite! I keep telling myself that after I get an acceptance, i'll shape up my act...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the best service to have a Blackberry or Palm Treo? What kind of prices are we talking for a small amount of minutes and unlimited internet?

What's the best service to have a Blackberry or Palm Treo? What kind of prices are we talking for a small amount of minutes and unlimited internet?

tmobile is my favorite b/c you only have to pay $20/month for unlimited internet and email usage (it doesn't support hotmail, but most any other type of email). you can couple that service with any of their calling plans which are very reasonable and even competitive. not only that, you can get the blackberry pearl for $250 with a 2 year agreement..i sound like a tmobile rep!

about the mobile/pda version of SDN, does anyone know the specific address for it (www.studentdoctor.net is not mobile/pda supported as far as my phone's web browser is concerned).

going through the day's mail, you chuck the birthday cards aside in your search for "official" news.

you go apoplectic and then spit invectives when a primetime sitcom character "decides" he's going to go to med school at the last minute: "i made a call, and my mcat's are still good. i start in a few weeks!" gah!

Which primetime sitcom would that be?

... Drexel's applicant status page is now your home page.

Thank you baba..I'm not going to try and spell the rest. I've heard t-mobile is best, so I'll look into it. Anybody have problems with t-mobile's service (and if so, where)?

When you meet your mailwoman in your mail room every day that you are home to do so AND she even knows your mailbox off by heart, and always knows when there is something in it.

......You change your voicemail message in case one of the schools calls because you want it to sound more professional
.......You become addicted to SDN
.......All you converse about is med school stats and chances of getting accepted/rejected
........You're checking everyone else's stats in hopes of being "within the right formula" for each school you're applying to
......you check your email everywhere you go & see an accessible computer
.......you can't focus on anything without thinking of your apps
..... you check you're status at every medical school in the state of Illinois at least 3X per day
....you call your parents' house on a regular schedule just in case something was mailed there
......you're sitting here trying to come up with more reasons why you're addicted to the app process
:eek:

...you yell at people on mdapps because they didn't choose your top school.

Neither, those are both really old technologies. Get with the new stuff and buy a pocketpc phone. It runs circles around both the blackberry and the palm, plus you can use word, excel, powerpoint, and internet explorer. I use a PPC6700 from sprint and I pay $15/month for unlimited EVDO(broadband speed) internet plus $35 for cell minutes. The regular SDN site works great on a pocketpc, but I use http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/ because it is quicker and easier to read on a small screen.

I'm fairly technology dumb. With the cell-phone I'm fine, but is it easy to make the transition to using the pocketpc with all the other stuff? I don't want to pay for all those great services, but be lost.

I'm fairly technology dumb. With the cell-phone I'm fine, but is it easy to make the transition to using the pocketpc with all the other stuff? I don't want to pay for all those great services, but be lost.

I think it is very easy to transition to a pocketpc. The layout of the OS will be very familiar if you have been using a windows PC. Plus if you have trouble, there are forums for these things so you can browse those when you aren't wasting time browsing sdn.:laugh:

tmobile is my favorite b/c you only have to pay $20/month for unlimited internet and email usage (it doesn't support hotmail, but most any other type of email). you can couple that service with any of their calling plans which are very reasonable and even competitive. not only that, you can get the blackberry pearl for $250 with a 2 year agreement..i sound like a tmobile rep!

about the mobile/pda version of SDN, does anyone know the specific address for it (www.studentdoctor.net is not mobile/pda supported as far as my phone's web browser is concerned).
http://www.studentdoctor.net/pda/index.asp

Surf until your fingers hurt.

... start failing your classes