You Wanna Do What!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I wonder why, for instance, the matching stats for neurology residencies tend to be so low. It doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Blessing or a curse? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

EM - Lots of variety, good pay, and shift work is nice.
Anesthesia - A lot more in depth than I originally thought, lots of procedures, and amazing pay.
Surgery - I love working with my hands but don't know if I can make the hours.

I find most medical specialties interesting but I don't think I could see myself doing them forever like I can with EM, anesthesia, or surgery. The only specialties I am absolutely opposed to are pediatrics (I hate kids...), OB/GYN (...and pregnant women), dermatology, and family practice.

EM - Lots of variety, good pay, and shift work is nice.
Anesthesia - A lot more in depth than I originally thought, lots of procedures, and amazing pay.
Surgery - I love working with my hands but don't know if I can make the hours.

I find most medical specialties interesting but I don't think I could see myself doing them forever like I can with EM, anesthesia, or surgery. The only specialties I am absolutely opposed to are pediatrics (I hate kids...), OB/GYN (...and pregnant women), dermatology, and family practice.

lol. i guess we are the opposite. even though EM, anesthesia and surgery are good paying, i dont think i can commit myself to that. personally, i see myself doing pediatrics, family practice, or psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thing we all have different tastes, or we'd all have to compete for the 10 Integrated Plastics spots!!

I call dibs!!!

;)

I can't post anymore!!! I have a nice round number of posts!

Last edited:
Good thing we all have different tastes, or we'd all have to compete for the 10 Integrated Plastics spots!!

I call dibs!!!

;)

I can't post anymore!!! I have a nice round number of posts!

I count 901 ... I think you ruined it!! Plus, you need to get up to 1000. You get a little status under your name that says '1K Member' and you feel like a big dawg (or a loser who spends too much time on SDN like I do :smuggrin: j/k).

ps: your MCAT is pretty.

I count 901 ... I think you ruined it!! Plus, you need to get up to 1000. You get a little status under your name that says '1K Member' and you feel like a big dawg (or a loser who spends too much time on SDN like I do :smuggrin: j/k).

ps: your MCAT is pretty.

I was at 888 for a bit. Then I tried for a "Top" on Class of 2013, then got cheated when someone deleted a post.

Thanks, my MCAT is pretty, but 3 app cycles before an acceptance is ugly :)

I was at 888 for a bit. Then I tried for a "Top" on Class of 2013, then got cheated when someone deleted a post.

Thanks, my MCAT is pretty, but 3 app cycles before an acceptance is ugly :)

You'll see love this cycle for sure. Good luck with everything. :thumbup:

I'm impressed, that test was pretty spot on for me:

1. Medical Oncology
2. Radiation Oncology
3. Pulmonary/Critical-care Medicine
4. Neurology
5. Neurological Surgery
6. Cardiology

My top choices are:
1) Ortho Surg
2) Gen Surg
3) CT Surg
4) Cards

I want to be in a specialty with procedures since I am a very hands on person. I think just talking to patients all day, as in FP, Peds, IM, would be boring.

*Wrong thread/forum, sorry!

Last edited:
I must admit that the survey and my interests matched pretty darn well. For me it's something Critical Care related, and interesting as well. Being a true Type A personality (aka workaholic) I'm very interested in General Surgery, Trauma Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Critical Care Medine, and Emergency Medicine.

My top three specialitys are psychiatry, neurology, and anesthesiology.

My top three according to the pathway evaluation program are dermatology, radiation oncology, and preventative medicine. Im taking this evaluation with a grain of salt because it doesnt really ask you, your interest in a subject matter. A big factor other than lifestlye and money is are you interested in the subject matter. Luckily for me Im interested in pharmacology and neuroscience, so i have a decent list of specialities to choose from.

I must admit that the survey and my interests matched pretty darn well. For me it's something Critical Care related, and interesting as well. Being a true Type A personality (aka workaholic) I'm very interested in General Surgery, Trauma Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Critical Care Medine, and Emergency Medicine.

:highfive: