You want heroes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's awesome. But I always shake my head when I think about the dude just holding the camera and filming :joyful:

Members don't see this ad :)
Although if the other guy hadn't been filming there wouldn't be any video footage of the hero being a hero. :)

Not that it's entirely off subject but I have had the privilege of taking care of several heroes in my career and I feel grateful for the opportunity. I recently cared for a Vietnam vet who was one of two survivors of a Huey that went down and he carried the other guy for five days following the crash until they were rescued. I also took care of a paratrooper who jumped during D-day and took a blast from a German shell. He was knocked down by the blast and a chunk of shrapnel the size of a fist lodged into his rifle butt. He told me he knew God saved him during that blast and he carried that rifle for the rest of the war, until he reached Germany. It always makes me feel humbled and grateful for everything I have as a result of their deeds. Just throwing that out there.

Reactions: 4 users
My mom, aunt and grandma immigrated from a war torn country in Eastern Europe in 1948 (they were in a refugee camp during the war). My mom still talks about how EVERYONE in the refugee camps believed Americans were the most generous and compassionate people in the world. Coming from places where everyone's focus was on staying alive (and the rotating conquerors, Russia and Germany, put ZERO value on human life), there was something different and special about America's philosophy. Its people spent their resources and lives to help people they didn't even know.

Someone they didn't know sponsored them to come to the US (western Michigan), housed them on a very comfortable dairy farm, and helped my grandma get a job and get the family their own place. They knew a LOT of people that got the same treatment.

None of those people had to lift a finger. In fact, what they did cost them money, time and energy.

I remember the story below being covered for like 2 or 3 days last year. A middle class girl who seemed like her ONLY interest in life was going wherever she had to go and doing whatever she had to do to make other people's lives better. She was idealistic, and considering where she put herself, it's not exactly a huge surprise what happened. But it's a pretty good example of the altruistic philosophy that made so many people consider us the world's moral leader. I thing this girl was a hero.

And she reminds me of how much I despise the world of politicians that find profit and opportunity in exploiting disasters, wars, and terrorism. We ALL know how big, important and "great" they are. We rarely know anything about people like Kayla Mueller, and people like her never ask us to know them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayla_Mueller

And I know that philosophy wasn't/isn't unique to Americans, but I think there was something new when a country with ridiculous post-war power spent it's enormous resources actually trying to help the world, not trying to take it over (and yes, there were uncountable inconsistencies in how we treated certain nations vs others, not to mention how we treated certain of our OWN people. But in general we supported anyone who wanted the same freedoms we had).

Things are quite different now. The current political agenda of certain folks could not be more opposed to what got us the respect we once had, and the way the world is, I'm really not sure there's much going back.

Reactions: 4 users