Young CI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Trainer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a 3rd year DPT student going into my first clinical affiliation. I've been assigned my CI, who is a recent PT school grad (1-2 years clinical experience).

I can't help but feel as though I would have a better experience with a more experienced clinician, however am open to learning whatever I can from anyone. I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience, and what they thought?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

don't fret. I was a CI within 6 months of graduating. Granted I was also an athletic trainer before so I had some patient care experience and I am exceptional. ;) your clinical internship site wouldn't have assigned you the CI if they didn't think they could do it.

Reactions: 1 users
I can definitely see where you are coming from. I mean I know younger therapists have the DPT and all but experience, imo, seems like a much bigger deal when it comes to actual clinical practice which is SO different from what is taught in school. So I get what you're saying but, at this point, I would try to make the best of it? Maybe? Your CI could turn out to be really cool, laid back and knowledgeable which would make your first rotation pretty amazing and build up your confidence to boot! On the up side, your CI will probably be able to reinforce a lot of the stuff you learned in school while you're in the clinic because she/he just graduated themselves. I would probably roll with it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I'm a 3rd year DPT student going into my first clinical affiliation. I've been assigned my CI, who is a recent PT school grad (1-2 years clinical experience).

I can't help but feel as though I would have a better experience with a more experienced clinician, however am open to learning whatever I can from anyone. I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience, and what they thought?

Cheers

Going into my 3rd clinical rotation, my CI was only 1 year out of school. I was a bit worried she didn't have as much clinical experience as my 2 previous CIs did. However, like truthseeker said, they would not assign a CI to you if they weren't qualified to do so.

Thanks for the insight. You're all right that they wouldn't make their crappy PT a CI(I would hope) especially if younger. It's the lure of the the elder wise therapist with the secret to everything that I guess I'm trapped thinking would be the best :laugh:

I think as long as I stay driven to learn and gain skills then it'll all work out fine.

My best CI during PT school was only 2 years out of school, my worst had been working for 8+ years. The difference was that the new grad was very much into new literature and keeping up with the current evidence and the "experienced clinician" didn't even know any of the SI pain provocation tests, despite claiming that she had taken extensive coned courses for the SIJ. So in my opinion, the number of years practicing doesn't mean anything if they haven't bothered to keep up with the new literature.

Be humble. You can learn from anyone. 1-2 years of real experience is worth more than 10 years of PT school. Listen to what he says, do what he says, and finish the internship.

Reactions: 2 users
Granted I've only had 2 short term clinical rotations under my belt, but much like HillaryDPT's experience, my CI that was 2 years out was very much into keeping up with the literature and really knew his stuff. My experience with him definitely solidified a lot of what I learned and learned a lot of vestibular stuff from him as well despite being in outpatient. Best of luck to you!

Some general advice that I found helpful with a few of my younger CIs - try to bring a little 'structure' to your clinical. Set goals with your CI for things you'd like to see, practice, or learn about. Come in with lists of questions to ask your CI. Often times younger CIs are highly knowledgeable, but they just have less practice as educators to students. Engaging them in clinically-relevant conversation frequently allowed me to see more of their clinical expertise.

IDK, I’m the newly minted CI within our group. I’m the only one that has a learning program set up based on their year, compeleted curriculum, and their/my perception of their strength and weaknesses. I always ask what type of feedback system the student prefers. I work with their schools to forgo their typical in-service in lieu of weekly literature appraisals and reviews based on the weekly areas of focus because I find that skill lacking from the local schools. I am also the only who has my students follow CPG’s when applicable and guide them on how to apply literature when doing so.

The other CI’s tell me I’m crazy or that I’m going to make my students cry. Well, cry all you want, you’re still going to learn a lot.