Arch Guillotti
Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Miller 4 vs. Glidescope +/- bougie.
Why do you use a miller 4 versus a miller 3?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Miller 4 vs. Glidescope +/- bougie.
McNinja and I talked about something relevant the other day - does anyone have any data or anecdotal experience putting the bougie through an LMA?
never used bougie with glidescope. is using bougie with glidescope straightforward? what about using it with regular et tube stylet.
i find the rigid stylet for the glidescope annoying at times (e.g., i can't advance past a point with more of a comfort zone).
You said my comment wasn't accurate at all. I think for the reasons mentioned above, my comment is pretty accurate, although it doesn't hold true in all situations. Ie, while most of our intubations are urgent/emergent, most of yours are scheduled/elective. So different rules & procedures apply. That's all I'm sayin.I thought I was pretty clear. What part didn't you understand?😕
So am I the only person out there that uses a Miller 2 on pretty much every single adult? I've done several hundred intubations now, and I think I've used a Miller 3 hmmm...MAYBE twice? Definitely once that I can recall. For everyone else, I've found the Miller 2 to be more than adequate. Plus, since it's a lot shorter than a Miller 3, you can get more of an angle with it without damaging the lip & teeth.Why do you use a miller 4 versus a miller 3?
In residency we had a psych patient that liked to perch open safety pins on her valecula. She got to wear she could take a Mil 4 with 2 of Versed and not even cough. Trained a whole generation of ENT docs.
Honestly, there are some times I'd reach for the Miller 4.....to lift the heart closer to the chest for better chest auscultation for instance..., or perhaps to test for lower esophageal sphincter tone, etc.., the list goes on...
Awake intubation?? Are you an anesthesiologist? If I tried an "awake" intubation in HALF my patients, they would DIE before I even had the awake/difficult intubation cart down here from Anesthesia. These patients come in TANKING, often after getting solumedrol, mult nebs, CPAP, the whole 9, and NOTHING is working, and sats are in the tanker as EMS brings 'em in the ED. And the guy's huffin & puffin so bad, he's only got a few more minutes goin before he'll get so hypoxic, go into respiratory failure, and brady arrest.
A few minutes is all you need for an awake intubation although I doubt any ED residencies are teaching this.
So that's pretty much all I was saying. Hence why you can't apply all the Anesthesia rules & methods in the ED. While some may very well be applicable (the basics never change), there are other constraints & limitations that make other rules & methods inapplicable & unrealistic in the ED environment.
Because as mentioned above, the algorithm calls for things like LMAs, doing cases under MAC, and awake intubations. That's not what we're dealing with in the ED. Here's the algorithm I'm referring to:
![]()
I think maybe I wasn't clear in my earlier response. You're referring to an ED doc's backup/rescue devices (and what some of us may call OUR ED difficult intubation algorithm). My earlier comment was in response to the Anesthesiologist's comment, so I was speaking in terms of HIS Difficult Intubation Algorithm (the flowshart above), which again, is VERY different than our stepwise approach, and has options not applicable to the ED at all. My simple point was, you can't take stuff like that and just say "well you shoulda gone down that pathway in the ED" cuz it's not MADE for the ED, and much of it isn't an option & doesn't apply.
And I agree with you 100% that we should have bougies, LMAs, and some version of video-assisted intubation (I'm a big fan of the C-MAC because it has all the features of the Glidescope but is a MUCH better educational tool as well).
Hopefully that clears up what I was trying to say.
I would not even know where to look for a Miller 4. I don't really understand why anyone would use it since it is the same length as a Miller 3. In my experience almost everyone can be intubated with a Miller 2 although some anesthesiologists swear by the Miller 3 as their failsafe blade.
I certainly didn't learn the technique in residency. The one time I've tried it, was for a patient that I anticipated was going to be a challenge. I got our "anesthesia team" (3 CRNAs) on standby, topicalized and gave it a shot. I had to borrow a fancy tube from the CRNAs, but it worked like a charm.
Glad to see I'm not alone 😉In my experience almost everyone can be intubated with a Miller 2
I dunno about any, but it certainly isn't taught in my residency program. And the Anesthesia difficult airway cart (with the bronchoscope) rests with - you guessed it - Anesthesia. We have our bag 'o tricks though in the ED though (bougie, LMA, Rich Levitan's telescoping blade (forget what the real name is), intubating LMA, lighted stylette).I understand you operate under very different constraints in the ED. A few minutes is all you need for an awake intubation although I doubt any ED residencies are teaching this.
Your comments are always welcome thoughI will say this and leave it be because I don't have much of an interest in trolling the ED forum anymore😀.
Couldn't agree more.I know the OR and ED and 2 different beasts.
That's inevitable. And we're always happy to have ya accessible.The ED guys I work with do a pretty good job the vast majority of the time although we do go down there and bail those trolls out every now and then🙂.
Fair enough.The OR is not always controlled and we do not always follow the difficult airway algorithm to the letter. Some of the more chaotic and challenging airways I have been involved in there was NO option of waking the patient up.
I can't speak for the majority, but definitely not taught to us. Would be cool to learn though. We do have a nasotracheal fiberoptic scope in the ED though, which can just as well be used for the orotracheal route.Does this statement reflect the majority? I guess I am somewhat surprised that people may not be learning awake intubation in EM residency...it is part of our didactic and simulation curriculum and something that is used in the ED when needed. Fiber optic nasal tracheal, fiber optic oral tracheal through a Williams airway, and awake VL/DL are all taught and used as indicated.
I think a lot of that depends on how confident your faculty are, and your hospital protocol is (based on negative outcomes, politics, etc). I was just discussing this the other day, because I think it's sad that once there's difficulty intubating the patient, it's an immediate call to Anesthesia. Why don't you let the ED go through the (ED) difficult intubation pathway, and troubleshoot until you actually NEED help, vs. just defaulting to "oh we'll call Anesthesia now." Cuz if you're good, and you can't tube cuz you have no view etc, Anesthesia's gonna have the same trouble, and be doing the same thing you're doing; going down the pathway. We can do that too 😉Also, in the nearly 3.5 years I've been at my shop, I've not seen or heard of anesthesia coming down to intubate one of our patients. If push came to shove, I'd have no problem calling or supporting someone in calling anesthesia to come help. I guess we are fortunate to have a vast array of toys in our ED and are trained to use them.
i'm kinda embarressed to say, but i've never used a miller blade. maybe i should use it for my next intubations to get a hang of it.
(sometimes you can insert the blade detached from the handle and the re-attach after some repositioning)
Mallampati may not be the the best to decide who is difficult to intubate, but it is a gauge that one can easily communicate over a discussion forum to give us a better sense of what the airway looks like pre-intubation instead of just describing a short neck and obese patient. I've seen some obese short-necked patients have Mallampati's of 1 that were easy intubations.
I think a lot of that depends on how confident your faculty are, and your hospital protocol is (based on negative outcomes, politics, etc). I was just discussing this the other day, because I think it's sad that once there's difficulty intubating the patient, it's an immediate call to Anesthesia. Why don't you let the ED go through the (ED) difficult intubation pathway, and troubleshoot until you actually NEED help, vs. just defaulting to "oh we'll call Anesthesia now." Cuz if you're good, and you can't tube cuz you have no view etc, Anesthesia's gonna have the same trouble, and be doing the same thing you're doing; going down the pathway. We can do that too 😉
But there have been a few rare instances over time where some cowboys bravado has caused a real mess. Everyone needs help sometime and should never let their pride get in the way, no matter who the help is coming from.
Yes, cowboy bravado is bad. My colleague last month had to bail out an anesthesiologist who did rapid sequence intubation on a nightmare airway in the OR for an elective surgical procedure. My colleague got the tube where the anesthesiologist couldn't. Alas...the patient has severe anoxic brain injury.
Yes, I'm serious. The guy brady'ed down and went into PEA, when the nurses called the code. Bad anesthesiologist I guess.
I agree 100%. I've seen airways beat up to mush after multiple unsuccessful prehospital intubations, so I can imagine you've seen the same from the ED. It's hard, but we should all know when to stop and ask for help.This is the crux of the proverbial turf war between anesthesiology and the ED. I would be more than happy to never come down for another ED intubation in my life. However, if I am going to be there I want the airway. I do not want to deal with an airway after multiple repeated attempts have roiled the waters. The ED guys where I work are pretty good and we don't really get involved too much (for which I am thankful). But there have been a few rare instances over time where some cowboys bravado has caused a real mess. Everyone needs help sometime and should never let their pride get in the way, no matter who the help is coming from.
The other thing I really wanted to comment on is the "However, if I am going to be there I want the airway" comment. I can defintiely appreciate that. But also please keep in mind that many times, Anesthesia isn't called cuz we actually NEED Anesthesia YET; it's more of "lets get 'em down here on standby, IN CASE we have trouble." When you come with the mindset of "if I'm down here, I'm doin the intubation," you're taking away the experience from a provider that you WANT to gain as much expertise as possible. A simple "ok lemme help you out" or even a "K I'll give you one attempt" would go along way for education (and kindness) without compromising the patient's condition. Thankfully I don't have this issue cuz all the Anesthesiologists know me well and trust me, but this is the most common complaint I hear from other residents (when Anesthesia shows up, even as backup, they simply take over). Something to keep in mind...
I hear ya loud & clear 🙂Unfortunately, hence the eternal pissing match between specialties. As I have said before, the ED where I work handles their business the VAST majority of the time. I don't even mind letting anybody in the ED "take a look" while I am there. What I do resent is cowboys who refuse help even when it is there.
Even if I am in a quasi-stable scenario with potential for serious badness, I do not hesitate to call for help. I don't let my pride get in the way either.
I understand you operate under very different constraints in the ED. A few minutes is all you need for an awake intubation although I doubt any ED residencies are teaching this.
I hope all EM residencies are teaching this. We did awake intubations all the time for indicated patients. Ketamine sedation, topical anesthesia, etc. Usually fiberoptic or william's airways or even awake DL. This seems like normal airway stuff that any recent EM grad should be comfortable with. I also enjoyed all the comments from the Cincinnati anesthesiologist who ran down to rescue the EM doc at UC. I just finished 4 years of residency there and have seen one intubation by anesthesia in the ER. EM does all tubes (trauma, medical, whatever). We have better airway equiptment in our simulation lab than they do in their OR! Anesthesia may know a lot about airways, but they sure aren't around 24/7 in most hospitals and last time I checked most patients with airway emergencies can't wait for anesthesia to drive in. EM docs need to be proficient in emergent airway management and training in a program where anesthesia comes into the ED for a bunch of airways is crap.
More power to you. I think all ED programs should teach awake intubation. If you do it right you don't even need to give sedation.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.