1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

your background on science classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by LaEzEnT, Apr 6, 2007.

1. LaEzEnT

Pre-Dental
    I’ve been reading a lot of the topics on here. One thing I notices people giving advise or people asking what classes (usually sciences) to take? Well, I would like to know what are your ways of studying or what are your foundations on science background? Honestly, for me one science class with a lap is enough to kill most of my studying over other general classes and not an easy A. I think two science can be done but really hard to get A’s and here I see people taking two to three or even more in one semester. How are you guys managing it? Thank you

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Once you start it's not that bad...for me the first one was the worse. But then again, science always kind of came naturally to me, it just made sense. I personally have to work harder in english because it's such a subjective class, it's really hard to predict your own grade. So sciences were a breeze because the more you study the better your grade will be. Honestly, take it easy, start with one science class, don't kill yourself, cause then you're just going to hurt your transcript. Once you get a hang of the whole sciences thing (which you will) then slowly increase your load. The most important thing for me in studying is just staying on top of things, don't procrastinate a lot because believe me, it's really hard catching up, there is a lot of material that they cover. Read the chapter before class so you have a better understanding, things like that. Good luck!

4. Nasem

Pre-Medical
    For me, I am a returning student (Graduated in '04)

Right now I am only taking General Chemistry 1 along with lab (only 5 credit hours) but thats because of 2 main reasons:
    1) I work a fulltime job as a software designer (40-50 hrs a week)
    2) my university did not offer the other classes I needed at appropirate times (night classes), if they did, I would have probebly taken something like biology also which I think would have killed me but oh well.

HOWEVER, because I have alot of pre-dental classes to take and I wanna be ready for 2009 cycle, I am going to quit my job last week of august and go pretty much full load into september semester.
    This coming fall, I'll be taking:
    General chemistry II (3 credit)
    General II lab (1 credit)
    Organic I (4 credit)
    Biology I (3 credit)
    Biology lab (1 credit)

thats only what...12 credit hours, it might sound like not a whole lot, but those classes are the main foundation of all my schooling and I REALLY wanna do well.....so if the adcoms question me as to why I only took 12 crdt hrs, I'll tell them exactly that.