Your compensation model?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookymonster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mine: 100% production, RVU-based

Practice setting: Not-for-profit inpatient unit, supplemented by ECT. Could add outpatient work but no desire

Pros: Tremendous flexibility in the amount of work I can take on, and I'm incentivized to help/care for patients, rather than avoid work (which was my moonlighting experience as a resident).

Cons: Production can rise and fall with unit census, as beds often get blocked due to low staffing. Occasionally the medical center forces me to go to things like orientations, workshops, and computer trainings, and anything that is not direct patient care is completely uncompensated.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine: 100% production, RVU-based

Practice setting: Not-for-profit inpatient unit, supplemented by ECT. Could add outpatient work but no desire

Pros: Tremendous flexibility in the amount of work I can take on, and I'm incentivized to help/care for patients, rather than avoid work (which was my moonlighting experience as a resident).

Cons: Production can rise and fall with unit census, as beds often get blocked due to low staffing. Occasionally the medical center forces me to go to things like orientations, workshops, and computer trainings, and anything that is not direct patient care is completely uncompensated.
You should have some 'admin time' or something similar to bill for those meetings/obligations.

Inpatient psychiatry requires some subsidy from the hospital either in form of compensation for call or administrative time for meetings. Collaboration of care, record review, court testimony, team meetings, insurance authorization, etc take lot of time. I am salary based, but because of salary compensation for limited outpatient practice I make the same. How much are you paid per rvu because that could make a lot of difference. Also how many beds you carry along with how many phone consults and er consults you do also varies as some parts of our jobs are time intense with low rvu. Quality and ability to spend time on inpatient setting also depends on insurance company allowing patient stay more than hospital administrators.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that I do get paid to take call, which is only about once a month, as it's a pretty big group. It is a flat fee that is rather low, considering the number of beds we cover, but should hopefully be raised with renegotiation.

I don't spend very much time at all on insurance review (I guess we have good reviewers), no time on court testimony in our state. Phone consults are also very rare. I can volunteer for ER and inpatient consults but seldom have to. I avoid doing things I cannot capture, such as getting collateral over the phone, and defer that to team members or try to bring them in for family meetings. Team meetings are ~10 minutes a day and collaboration of care is all stuff I can bill for.

I could post the numbers you mentioned, perhaps when more people describe their compensation models. Overall am more interested in models of compensation rather than the levels.

Salary based with possible production bonus if funds are available each year (usually 1-2% of salary).