Your Credentials if you matched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OBfan

Hey guys congrats on Matching. I would love to know your stats. I think it could help a lot of us who will be matching next year.
Thanks
Step 1
Step 2
GPA
IMG?
AMG?
Citizen/Non Citizen
Research

Thanks and all the best to those of you who are scrambling!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it'll really be that helpful?

I think it might be more beneficial for the current third years to show who matched where with their credentials, and a one-liner about why they wanted that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys congrats on Matching. I would love to know your stats. I think it could help a lot of us who will be matching next year.
Thanks
Step 1
Step 2
GPA
IMG?
AMG?
Citizen/Non Citizen
Research

We matched into psych. We had a pulse and family issues.

My 100th post! Does that make me a senior member? :clap: :clap:

I think it might be more beneficial for the current third years to show who matched where with their credentials, and a one-liner about why they wanted that program.
That sounds great. Thanks!

I'm sorry to continue the tangent, but... you can make yourself what ever you like. I happen to be a walking carpet.

though, congratulations none-the-less, we can only all aspire to such greatness (us sub-centarians that is )

Obfan,

You didn't match? That's a shame, you told me your stuff and you seemed decent to me.

Dude if you didn't match, you're not alone. A good buddy of mine didn't match and on top of that, he left a program where he believes his program director wrote him the nastiest review ever. He's been telling me this guy is a control freak who likes to screw people over. I'm actually worried this guy might never get in based on what that director did to him.

Anyways, I told you this before, you seemed solid to me from our discussions. Hope everything works out.

Obfan,

You didn't match? That's a shame, you told me your stuff and you seemed decent to me.

Dude if you didn't match, you're not alone. A good buddy of mine didn't match and on top of that, he left a program where he believes his program director wrote him the nastiest review ever. He's been telling me this guy is a control freak who likes to screw people over. I'm actually worried this guy might never get in based on what that director did to him.

Anyways, I told you this before, you seemed solid to me from our discussions. Hope everything works out.

Hey buddy,
I wasnt in this match. Ill be in it next year. Thanks for asking though. Sorry to hear about your friend. that really sucks!!!!

All the best!!

Yeah,

Just goes to show you, you want to pick a place you'll be happy to go. The worst programs I've seen treat you like a slave.

Anyways, from what you told me, I think you won't have a problem getting into a program.

I am confused: I thought psychiatry was non-competitive and pretty much everybody matched into a residency... That's what was said on another post... Is this wrong; are there a lot of people who don't match...

One thing that people in psychology do who don't match is to cold call programs and offer free assistance in turn for a position. Maybe this would help???

Psychiatry is relatively non-competitive, but people can still not match if they only apply to a few highly competitive programs or are marginal applicants. But I think there were a lot of open psych spots for the scramble. I don't know where though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 220
Step 2 Score not back yet
GPA ? - honors in psych and medicine sub-I. High pass in neuro and EM.
AMG - University of Rochester
Citizen.
Research - worked on a 5 year research project in psychoneuroimmunology during all of med school, but study not complete and no publications yet. Also got SCID trained, along with several other psychometrics, and in performing EEG's.

Matched to UCSD. Location is obviously a reason, but combined with a reputable non-malignant psych program in CA with tons of research, well balanced, great PD, and were just very encouraging of me.

Step 1 220
Step 2 Score not back yet
GPA ? - honors in psych and medicine sub-I. High pass in neuro and EM.
AMG - University of Rochester
Citizen.
Research - worked on a 5 year research project in psychoneuroimmunology during all of med school, but study not complete and no publications yet. Also got SCID trained, along with several other psychometrics, and in performing EEG's.

Matched to UCSD. Location is obviously a reason, but combined with a reputable non-malignant psych program in CA with tons of research, well balanced, great PD, and were just very encouraging of me.

Thanks for the feedback. Lets keep it going.

You should check out this report:

Charting Outcomes in the Match

You will find Psychiatry starting on page 52. It shows how many people did and did not match based on step 1 score, number of programs ranked, AOA, publications, and research. There are separate graphs for US seniors and non-US seniors.

Enjoy.

I am confused: I thought psychiatry was non-competitive and pretty much everybody matched into a residency... That's what was said on another post... Is this wrong; are there a lot of people who don't match...

The above is true, but don't everyone will match.

My program had 2 open spots this year. The program chose not to fill them even though I knew several who wanted it.

Whopper has a point. I know of FM residency programs that have done the same thing. There may be a "magic formula" for matching, but everyone doesn't have access to it.

The above is true, but don't everyone will match.

My program had 2 open spots this year. The program chose not to fill them even though I knew several who wanted it.

Doesn't that make life worse for the rest of the interns - more frequent call schedules, etc.?

Doesn't that make life worse for the rest of the interns - more frequent call schedules, etc.?

That's a good question. I would rather go to a program that fills all its spot rather than one that "chooses not to fill them." Why would they choose not to fill them again? Arrogance? Pride?

I didn't see anyone mention it, but this post was actually quite humurous. Psych credentials: a pulse and family issues.... :laugh:

Hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves, what kind of psychiatrists will we be?

Hi guys,

Congrats to everyone who matched to their preferred program. I am a British graduate from Cambridge (Class of 1999), with masters (not in psychiatry), currently practicing as a GP in the UK. What are my chances to match to a decent program in Psych? (like Mayo, for instance)

Hi guys,

Congrats to everyone who matched to their preferred program. I am a British graduate from Cambridge (Class of 1999), with masters (not in psychiatry), currently practicing as a GP in the UK. What are my chances to match to a decent program in Psych? (like Mayo, for instance)

I think that Mayo is pretty competitive for an IMG, even for a Cambridge grad. While interviewing there, I was told by the chairman that they wanted USMLE scores in the 90s from IMGs.

In order to make your application competitive, as an IMG, I think that you need a combination of good USMLE scores and psych experience or research. As you are switching specialties, I suspect that a convincing personal statement would also help.

In hindsight, if I were to change anything about my application, I would have tried to schedule my exams so that I had my ECFMG certificate prior to applying on September 1. I missed out on a number of good programs, because I did not have the certificate early enough.

You should also be aware that many brand name psych residency programs only rarely interview IMGs. This said, there are plenty of very solid programs without brand names that do.

Thank you, Adam, for this response and for the previous one. I am currently studying for USMLEs (Step 1 is going to kill me, Step 2 is a cake walk). Does visa status have any influence on shortlisting? My SO is a US citizen from the Twin Cities area, and the only reason for the relocation. It is a bit disheartening (though not surprising) to hear that IMGs are not particularly welcome at the brand name programmes. What do you mean when you refer to the solid non-brand name programmes? Could you give me some examples, please?

I think that there are certain IMGs who are at a particular disadvantage, namely, those who come from develping countries. If you look at many "top" programs, you will often find at least one IMG from places like England, Spain, France, Germany, etc. You will rarely find IMGs from India, Pakistan, China or any African or Latin American country. I don't know if this is racism (most applicants from developed countries are white, whereas those from developing countries tend to be black/brown), or if it reflects a belief that developed countries have better medical education. Also, there is the issue of language. Whatever your interpretation, I think it would certainly be possible for you as UK graduate to match at even the top-most programs, assuming that you do well on the USMLE, etc. BTW, what is the area of your master's degree?

My masters is in genetic epidemiology, and unfortunately has nothing to do with psych (although currently I am involved in primary care based psychiatry research, and hoping to get a few papers out of it). I have been somewhat hopeful about Mayo because I noticed that they do have IMGs from Europe, and they even have two faculty members from Russia (with Russian MDs, but Mayo residency). But who knows... BTW, Ivy schools (and Mayo) aside, what are the good residency programs in psych? Thank you.

I think that there are certain IMGs who are at a particular disadvantage, namely, those who come from develping countries. If you look at many "top" programs, you will often find at least one IMG from places like England, Spain, France, Germany, etc. You will rarely find IMGs from India, Pakistan, China or any African or Latin American country. I don't know if this is racism (most applicants from developed countries are white, whereas those from developing countries tend to be black/brown), or if it reflects a belief that developed countries have better medical education. Also, there is the issue of language. Whatever your interpretation, I think it would certainly be possible for you as UK graduate to match at even the top-most programs, assuming that you do well on the USMLE, etc. BTW, what is the area of your master's degree?

Don't you think that in general, IMGs from Spain, France, Germany etc have worse English "skills" compared to ones from, may be, India. So I don't think language is that big an issue but may be the fact that only very few excellent IMGs from these European countries come to US, while there is a virtual glut of IMGs from India, Pakistan etc. Many of them have very little prior experience in Psychiatry. Lesser number of IMGs in "top tier programs" might also reflect that these programs are more sought after among AMGs which obviously makes it tough for IMGs. After all, the programs would prefer "their own" first, which is perfectly understandable.

Thank you, Adam, for this response and for the previous one. I am currently studying for USMLEs (Step 1 is going to kill me, Step 2 is a cake walk). Does visa status have any influence on shortlisting? My SO is a US citizen from the Twin Cities area, and the only reason for the relocation. It is a bit disheartening (though not surprising) to hear that IMGs are not particularly welcome at the brand name programmes. What do you mean when you refer to the solid non-brand name programmes? Could you give me some examples, please?

There are many programs that provide great opportunities and I am hesitant to start listing them.

My masters is in genetic epidemiology, and unfortunately has nothing to do with psych (although currently I am involved in primary care based psychiatry research, and hoping to get a few papers out of it). I have been somewhat hopeful about Mayo because I noticed that they do have IMGs from Europe, and they even have two faculty members from Russia (with Russian MDs, but Mayo residency). But who knows... BTW, Ivy schools (and Mayo) aside, what are the good residency programs in psych? Thank you.

Your masters may help you for Mayo, as the chairman, Dr. Mrazek is leading a research effort focused on psychiatric genetics, specifically mood disorders.

http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/gene_unit/

If I were you, I would make sure to make a prominent mention of this on the personal statement you send to Mayo.

Are you interested in a research based career or a clinical one?

Hey Jollygood
I am an IMG who matched into the Mayo program this year.I would be happy to help with any questions you may have.
It was the first on my list and I feel it was the best that I interviewed at.

i was thinking the same thing when comparing what my friend who is an IMG from germany got and she was applying to psych as back up.

anyhow sorry about not matching ob. try not to mope around and do some externships and research. i didnt match last time and my last year has been a blast doing rotations in south beach and beverly hills. of course the interview trail was fun. (ok i admit mobile was not as fun as vegas but it was an experience nevertheless. btw, book ur vegas interview for near new years.)

pm me for more info.

hennepin is a good program for IMGs. good people and after 2nd year lifestyle is great. only county program i have seen that is close to the LA county programs. (vs nyc county programs.)

Don't you think that in general, IMGs from Spain, France, Germany etc have worse English "skills" compared to ones from, may be, India. So I don't think language is that big an issue but may be the fact that only very few excellent IMGs from these European countries come to US, while there is a virtual glut of IMGs from India, Pakistan etc. Many of them have very little prior experience in Psychiatry. Lesser number of IMGs in "top tier programs" might also reflect that these programs are more sought after among AMGs which obviously makes it tough for IMGs. After all, the programs would prefer "their own" first, which is perfectly understandable.

I agree that many Indian and Pakistani graduates speak impeccable English (often better than most Americans, though with an accent). However, I was referring specifically to graduates from England, which is where the original post came from.

I think that a masters in genetic epidemiology is highly relevant to psychiatry. It doesn't matter if you studied skin cancer, the general principles are the same as for psychiatric disorders. I would definitely emphasize this training in your application.

Thanks
Step 1
Step 2
GPA
IMG?
AMG?
Citizen/Non Citizen
Research

Step1: 224
Step2: 225
Grades: High pass in Psych and Neuro
AMG- University of Rochester
Research- Project on Music therapy in Huntington's disease, one on Looking at the fear response in monkeys and looking at c-foss activation in the Extended amygdala, and an independent project looking at the War Paradigm in Medicine.
Matched: UNM, amazing faculty (lots of semi-retired internationally known people interested in education) and rural program-- going out to Navajo and Hispanic populations throughout New Mexico. Well integrated with faculty in the public health and anthropology departments at UNM.

Hm. I don't even remember my stats. And I matched into IM anyway. A pretty decent IM program though . . .

Step 1 -3 were > than 200, but not mindblowingly stellar. In the 210s, I think.

First two years at my school were honors-pass-fail. Clinical years were honors-high pass-pass-low pass-fail

I did honor the psychiatry classroom course as an MS-II. The only class I honored. I think I honored the third-year rotation too, but it showed up as High Pass on my transcript because at my school psych and neurology are done together and I got a high pass in neuro. I don't even remember what I got in medicine, I think it was just a pass because it was pretty impossible to do better than that. I didn't honor any of my third year rotations. High passes, I think in OB/Gyn, peds, psych/neuro, CAMC (outpatient peds/IM/FM), and maybe surgical subs (which was a joke of a rotation --they don't even have it anymore), but I don't remember. No low passes 3rd year. Low pass 4th year in pedi cards, but after the Match. Again, though my psych program would have had that info. Honors 4th year in the STD clinic. High pass in everything else 4th year, I think, except for my acting internship which was a pass. And I totally could be misremembering all of this. I did not have any psych rotations 4th year.

No real research, though I did have a publication my fourth year of a palliative care "fast fact". But that happened AFTER the match. Though it was on my CV when I transferred into psych.

I'm a citizen and an AMG.