Your goals in pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taken2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to share, what are your goals in pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to go to retail for a little while, just to get the experience, and then go on to the economical aspect at a pharmaceutical company.

sweetmurphy said:
Clinical Research or scientific research in a pharmaceutical company :) -I want to get a PharmD/PhD

Members don't see this ad :)
My goal as of now is to graduate with the lowest GPA possible, get a job working mail order or 7-on-7-off night shift somewhere so i don't actually have to ever talk to the general public.

I like to set lofty goals...

WVUPharm2007 said:
My goal as of now is to graduate with the lowest GPA possible, get a job working mail order or 7-on-7-off night shift somewhere so i don't actually have to ever talk to the general public.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WVUPharm2007 said:

:laugh: :laugh:

Two of my friends who are in Rho Chi are having a competition to see which one of them can graduate with the lowest GPA of any Rho Chi member. Once you're in, they can't kick you out!

Sosumi said:
Two of my friends who are in Rho Chi are having a competition to see which one of them can graduate with the lowest GPA of any Rho Chi member. Once you're in, they can't kick you out!

What do you need to be a Rho Chi member? Does it very from school to school?

my ultimate goal is to open up several pharmacies that specialize in compounding and integrate clinical aspects of pharmacy. immediate goals are to graduate and do a residency.

Rho Chi membership is offered to the top 20% of each P2 class.

ButlerPharm.D. said:
Rho Chi membership is offered to the top 20% of each P2 class.

Oooo yikes. At least it will give me something to strive for... hee hee

I have always wanted to work in a critical care setting and then eventually specialize as an oncology pharmacist.

Once I graduate, I'd like to work in retail for a little while. It's an easy way to make money, and I'll owe Walgreen's two years for their scholarship. If I get sick of retail, I'd like to do clinical research.

Members don't see this ad :)
FAMU2010 said:
I have always wanted to work in a critical care setting and then eventually specialize as an oncology pharmacist.

Ditto.:)

I seems my goal is to accummulate so much student loan debt that I will be forced to work a 7 on 7 off hospital staff job, and work a fulltime retail job in between so I can afford to eat.

pharmeronadell said:
I seems my goal is to accummulate so much student loan debt that I will be forced to work a 7 on 7 off hospital staff job, and work a fulltime retail job in between so I can afford to eat.

:laugh: I feel you on that. I'm not sure when I'll break even after adding pharm school loans on top of undergrad loans! :eek:

Yeah, that's why its important to make sure you enjoy the work, or at least some little aspect of it. Otherwise you'll go crazy! In the end, the money makes no difference, what's left of it becomes someone else's.

My goal is just to survive pharmacy school if I ever get in.

blueclassring said:
my ultimate goal is to open up several pharmacies that specialize in compounding and integrate clinical aspects of pharmacy. immediate goals are to graduate and do a residency.

That's interesting, as I'm interested in compounding. I was wondering if you are looking at a specific residency that relates somehow to compounding?

starsweet said:
That's interesting, as I'm interested in compounding. I was wondering if you are looking at a specific residency that relates somehow to compounding?
there are actually quite a few compounding residencies...

but that's a discussion for another forum...

bbmuffin said:
ours is top 10%

Ours is, too. You need over a 3.5 GPA to get there.

starsweet said:

There's a course offered in North America to obtain a compounding specialty, we had a presentation on it by someone who runs a compounding pharmacy.

It's not a residency as such, there's just a national club for compounding pharmacists and they hold that course - i'm not sure how often, annually perhaps.

But, to be honest the "art of compounding" is relatively rare.

Requiem said:
There's a course offered in North America to obtain a compounding specialty, we had a presentation on it by someone who runs a compounding pharmacy.

It's not a residency as such, there's just a national club for compounding pharmacists and they hold that course - i'm not sure how often, annually perhaps.

But, to be honest the "art of compounding" is relatively rare.

www.pccarx.com

their calender of events is here:
http://www.pccarx.com/calendar.aspx

it appears they offer their basic 3 day training monthly...
and boot camp for students is offered once a year...

you can also pay them to come in and do it at your school instead of making the trip to houstin

My goal right now is to make through Pre-Pharm. requirements for USN. Then when I'm at USN then it'll change to making it through Pharmacy school, then etc... :scared:

FAMU2010 said:

That is what I want to do as well, cool!!

i`ll most likely be working in retail between my school years anyway, since we get close to 4 months off in the summer. after graduation, i might go into clinical research.

I've been a tech in a retail pharmacy for about 3 1/2 years and I just don't know if I can stomach any more retail after graduation... I'd like to do a residency. Possibly in pediatric or psychiatric pharmacy.
Or something with geriatrics...I knew a pharmacist who worked in several different nursing homes; she had X # of patients assigned to her and she evaluated their medical treatment on a regular basis; she did this without a residency.
I'm afraid if I did retail to make the extra money at first, I would sort of lose a lot of the practical knowledge learned in school and never get out of it! :eek: