your life while studying for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

'11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious, how your life is like when you are studying/studied for DAT?
your habits/fun time/sex life... :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
[QUOTE='11]just curious, how your life is like when you are studying/studied for DAT?
your habits/fun time/sex life... :cool:[/QUOTE]

You forgot to add Miserable.....

lots of fun! i cant sleep well, i cant go out without feeling guilty...im a hermit...and im gaining weight from the stress and the lack of physical activities. the most fun i have is when i click on the "end test" button to see my results...i then spend the next hour obsessing over my mistakes! ya..no...its totally awesome :p

No life man. None....But let me tell you..once you see your scores and that the hard worked paid off every second of studying was worth it.

[QUOTE='11]just curious, how your life is like when you are studying/studied for DAT?
your habits/fun time/sex life... :cool:[/QUOTE]

Studied? Well, I "studied" for a month. On the phone/talking with gf 3-8 hrs per day. Took 2 days to take one entire TopScore test once. Once, I told her..."you know what? I've read 1-2 chapters of bio in the last week alone. Whereas before, I'd read 4-5 in one day! I really, really need to get back to studying!" Well, I think the gf took the pressure off this test! I've been out of college for 3 yrs, and I've only "studied" for a month! It's not that hard a test! Don't stress over it!

You DON'T need to know the answer to answer the questions correctly! The questions are written that way!

I studied for 2 months. Took one day a week off and sunday for church. Other than that, I just studied. It was so miserable, especially the week b4 the test. It all paid off though, I got a AA of 22. Best thing was 29 on ochem. Can you believe that! Just study!

during the month and a half I studied...I still went out at least twice a week at night to bars and clubs with friends. I tried to surf a coupel times a week too. I think I had sex all of 3 times during that month and a half with my GF, and one of those times was break up sex...and then I worked part time...that's pretty much it.

however, since the DAT on July 18th, I've surfed almost every day, drank a **** load, started playing music again and spent way way way too much time watching cheerleader tryouts on ESPN

dude wats up with everyone posting their scores on sdn.
they're getting all 20s. of course we have no life, but
reading those posts makes it worse!!!! and this forum
is soooo addictive.

keibee82 said:
dude wats up with everyone posting their scores on sdn.
they're getting all 20s. of course we have no life, but
reading those posts makes it worse!!!! and this forum
is soooo addictive.

Didn't u hear 20 is average now for DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
This dat studying is the pretty freakin ****ty. No going out, no movies, no dating, no clubs, no working out for the past 2 months. Instead, just studying and freaking out more and more when i see the scores from SDN.

Well my routine is the same everyday for the past 3 months and I have 1 week before my test. Work full time from 8-5pm go home eat dinner and sleep until 8:30pm. Go to school and study from about 9:00pm-2:00am. Be in bed by 3ish. Then wake up at 6:30am to go back to work. Kinda sucks but its not too bad.

Oh and I quit drinking too. Use to drink almost everyday or every other day but now im on a mission until next week haha.

I think people should have a balance between fun and studying. Personally, I don't think I could ever deal with studying or classes if I couldn't unwind in some way. For the 7 weeks I studied, I studied for 1-4 hours a day, and spent the rest relaxing and hanging out with friends. If I hadn't done that, I doubt I could have even continued studying.

Envision said:
lots of fun! i cant sleep well, i cant go out without feeling guilty...im a hermit...and im gaining weight from the stress and the lack of physical activities. the most fun i have is when i click on the "end test" button to see my results...i then spend the next hour obsessing over my mistakes! ya..no...its totally awesome :p

hahahahahaha. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
SOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!! Especially the part about feeling guilty if you're doing anything else besides studying.

I'm scared about taking the test but also REALLY looking forward to it.
Does that even make sense?

Fariba said:
hahahahahaha. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
SOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!! Especially the part about feeling guilty if you're doing anything else besides studying.

I'm scared about taking the test but also REALLY looking forward to it.
Does that even make sense?

i can relate to that :)

6AM-up and to the gym
800-back,showered,eaten breakie
8-12 studystudystudy
12-1 fooding/facebook/sdn
1-7 studystudystudy
7-8 more fooding/facebook/sdn
8-2(ish) studystudystudy

repeat.

amsie said:
6AM-up and to the gym
8-12 studystudystudy
1-7 studystudystudy
8-2(ish) studystudystudy

repeat.

wow 2 hours of gym AND 16 hours of studying. now thats super human

amsie said:
6AM-up and to the gym
8-12 studystudystudy
1-7 studystudystudy
8-2(ish) studystudystudy

repeat.

I almost followed the same plan except I woke up at 9:00 and worked out at about 8:00p.m. So not as extreme as you, but it wasn't bad

my life now = plenty of alcohol + drugs + sex + prostitutes and videogames. test in 2 weeks
:)

Yeyyy said:
my life now = plenty of alcohol + drugs + sex + prostitutes and videogames. test in 2 weeks

Great, hope your syphilis treatment goes well... Good luck on the dat!

amsie said:
6AM-up and to the gym
8-12 studystudystudy
1-7 studystudystudy
8-2(ish) studystudystudy

repeat.

1st of all - OOOOOOH MYYYY GODDDDD, WHAT AN ADORABLE PUPPY!!!!! SOOO CUTE!!!!

2nd- how can you study 16 hours!?!?! That's madness!! How long have you been doing this for? I envy your stamina. I cannot go more than 8 hours every day, I really can't. Especially since I need like 8 hours of sleep a night to function (not gonna be very helpful in dental school, but I'm working on it)

3rd- you wouldnt be able to get me out of my bed at 6am to do ANYTHING let alone go to the gym! More power to you, man!

However... I think it is ABSOLUTELY vital to excercise during this stressful time and think it actually helps you concentrate! To anyone else who may be stressed out: definently try to incorporate some kind of workout in your daily schedule (someone mentioned doing the "hibbity" - I think that definently qualifies as a good workout)

Good luck to everyone and just hang in there, it will all be over soon.

Fariba said:

2nd- how can you study 16 hours!?!?! That's madness!! How long have you been doing this for? I envy your stamina. I cannot go more than 8 hours every day, I really can't. Especially since I need like 8 hours of sleep a night to function (not gonna be very helpful in dental school, but I'm working on it)

3rd- you wouldnt be able to get me out of my bed at 6am to do ANYTHING let alone go to the gym! More power to you, man!

However... I think it is ABSOLUTELY vital to excercise during this stressful time and think it actually helps you concentrate! To anyone else who may be stressed out: definently try to incorporate some kind of workout in your daily schedule (someone mentioned doing the "hibbity" - I think that definently qualifies as a good workout)

lool he is not the only one that is studying 16 hours a day. i am planning to stay up 24 hours a day next week to finish studying.

amsie said:
6AM-up and to the gym
8-12 studystudystudy
1-7 studystudystudy
8-2(ish) studystudystudy

repeat.

16 hrs!!! :eek:

issa said:
lool he is not the only one that is studying 16 hours a day. i am planning to stay up 24 hours a day next week to finish studying.

24 hrs!!!!! :eek:

"superwomen" & "gunners"

wow. there are some crazy people in here. maybe im the weird one but i only studied for 2 weeks before the test and i hung out with friends everynight including going to disneyland for a weekend. i know that i didnt score off the charts but i think i did good enough to get in somewhere. i think that relaxing and having a little fun makes it easier to stay focused and remember stuff while youre studying.

I gained sooo much weight from the inactivity, so glad to finally be back in the gym. Like someone said before, when you see your scores, you realize that its all worth it.

i sleep in till noon then head to the library.

i study 3-5 hours a day in the dungeon. i've been doing that for about a month with a few 2-3 days off at a time because i feel like the material needs to marinate.

i'm an efficient studier so when i do study i'm totally focused and hardcore. my brain usually starts to hurt around the 5th hour so to chill out and unwind i listen to insanely loud rap music or depeche mode on the drive home from the library. i'm already planning on blasting missy elliot after driving away from the testing center.

i come home and make dinner while talking to my new kitten. it's my first social interaction for the day. my bf usually comes home shortly after that and we watch idiots on tv. soon enough he starts to watch his boring shows and i pull out a packet of math problems to chew over while i let my cat attack my feet.

overally, it's not too bad...but yes, YES it is.

I can't wait to crush this bastard and eat it for lunch! RAWR!

Fariba said:

thanks! she comes in five weeks,right after i take the test.she was my "you studied really hard all summer" present :)

i know my study plan sounds inhuman,but im in freak-out mode since i have less than five weeks till the test,and my parents are on my case bout doing well, bigtime.

PS: issa, im no guy!

Wow very dedicated people here! Eeek.... after reading all the comments here and looking at the calender, I'm starting to freak. I really need to start studying more and train myself to sleep less.

Right now, I mapped out a 50 hours a week study schedule, it fluctuates here and there based on my work schedule, but on average about 6 to 8 hours a day of quality study time. I slot in two hours for a good work out. Though my vice is sleep, I get about 8 hours a night. I need to break the habit, but I love it way too much!

And I'm definitely on board for fun and hang out time in the evenings. I typically study in the mornings so I see doing fun things after as my reward for being good and studying/working all day.

Weekends, I am up early and at the libaray cracking it out and at night I usually hit the clubs or games or whatever else is going on. But ofcourse for the time being no more wandering back home at 4am, I make it a point to get back in time to get enough sleep so I can hit the books the next morning. It's defintely nice to take a break and get your mind off of things even if its just for a quick game of poker or making calls.

Yeyyy said:

if you get into a dental school that shares classes with med schools, you may be educated enough afterwards to diagnose yourself to see which STD's you have too!!!

I guess I'll play...

7:30am - wake up
8:30 - 5pm - work
5:30 til dark (usually 8:30) - manual labor working on building a fence in my front yard
8:30 - 10:30 do whatever...eat, drink beer, tv, hang out with wife
10:30 - 12:30 (or 1ish) - Study
Sleep.

Wake up and do it again.

Except today
5am - up work for 1 hour
6:30 - surf 2 hours
9 - 5 - work
5-8:45 - damn fence
9 - now - beers, pizza, maybe more...?

I guess everyone is having fun while studying for that stupid test

Fariba said:

how fun is studying after drinking beer
lol

lifeisgood said:
I guess I'll play...

7:30am - wake up
8:30 - 5pm - work
5:30 til dark (usually 8:30) - manual labor working on building a fence in my front yard
8:30 - 10:30 do whatever...eat, drink beer, tv, hang out with wife
10:30 - 12:30 (or 1ish) - Study
Sleep.

Wake up and do it again.

Except today
5am - up work for 1 hour
6:30 - surf 2 hours
9 - 5 - work
5-8:45 - damn fence
9 - now - beers, pizza, maybe more...?

amsie said:
id just like to say that i took an achiever test today and i did five points worse on it than the last kaplan test i took. talk about an ego-killer.

dont sweat it too much, man....just keep going, its one practice test. on the upside, now you know what you need to work on...good luck! :)

amsie said:
6AM-up and to the gym
8-12 studystudystudy
1-7 studystudystudy
8-2(ish) studystudystudy

repeat.

My summer break schedule
2pm = get up
2~3pm = fooling around, eat breakfast
3~6pm = study or play game
6~9pm = GYM
9~12Am = study
12~5am = TV and Music and STUDY all at the same time.

;)
amsie said:
id just like to say that i took an achiever test today and i did five points worse on it than the last kaplan test i took. talk about an ego-killer.
haha
add 7 to 9 points on what you get on achiever to fugure out what you are going to get on the actuall test

[QUOTE='11];)
haha
add 7
to 9 points on what you get on achiever to fugure out what you are going to get on the actuall test[/QUOTE]

um, if i get a 25, ill buy everyone on sdn a case of cristal.