Your opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RCT PC CRN

RCT-PC-CRN
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does sound better?

"I consider myself a strong candidate for dental school, with a 4.0 post-baccalaureate GPA, a Masters Degree in Computer Science, and a 98.7 percentile ranking on the DAT."

OR

"I feel that I am a strong candidate for dental school, with a 4.0 post-bachelor GPA, a Masters Degree in Computer Science, and a 98.7 percentile ranking on the DAT."

I appreciate your opinion. This is my first sentence so bit concern about it.

Members don't see this ad.

neither is good. why would you put down your stats in a statement? the schools already have them and they judge whether or not there good enough. your suppose to talk about yourself and what makes YOU, not your stats, unique and good enough.

remember to be humble, if you blab about your test scores then they'll think thats all you have to you

neither is good. why would you put down your stats in a statement? the schools already have them and they judge whether or not there good enough. your suppose to talk about yourself and what makes YOU, not your stats, unique and good enough.

remember to be humble, if you blab about your test scores then they'll think thats all you have to you

amen

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree!

As mentioned above, your stats are in your app. This is your opportunity to elaborate on why you would be a good dental student and future dentist. What experiences have led you to this decision? You can briefly mention your success with the DAT and your other accomplishments without just listing your stats.

If you decide to put it in there anyway, I definitely wouldn't make it your FIRST sentence!!!!!

In fact, I wouldnt mention the percentiles at all.

I disagree. You have to brag on your application, that's the whole point. But you have to do it subtly, so you don't SOUND like you're bragging. However, I agree that OP should focus on something other than stats.

I would say that sentence is better for summing up why you're a great candidate at the END of the essay, not at the opening (that's where you can sound boastful). And substitute those numbers with some other stuff, like personality traits and skills that cannot be seen on the rest of the app.