Your Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lord_helmet

Now that we are all into our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th years at pharmacy school, what things bother you most about your school?

At my school, its the tuition, no books, and lack of admin help.

Members don't see this ad.

The professors who can't teach.

lord_helmet said:
Now that we are all into our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th years at pharmacy school, what things bother you most about your school?

At my school, its the tuition, no books, and lack of admin help.

Hi -- I'm in the process of applying to schools for Fall 2006. I think this thread will be of HUGE help to me, along with others who are currently looking into pharamcy schools. For those of you who have any comments regarding the pharmacy school you are currently at (specifically what you like, don't like, wish was different) PLEASE share your info!! Also, if you had the opportunity to do it all over again, would you have still chosen to attend [blank]? If not, where would you go instead? OH, please include which school you attend too! :D THANK YOU TO ALL WHO POST :)

Members don't see this ad :)
calrx...

hate to rain on your parade, but you will have complaints no matter where you go to school, and no two people will rarely have the same set of complaints. So take what one person says about a school with a grain of salt.

Medchem 400 stinks. People can avoid that by studying and testing out of it, though.

They restructured pharmaceutics so that it no longer corresponds as well to medchem during the second year. I would like that to be changed back.

Fewer electives are offered winter quarter than I would like.

The guy who teaches law class gets pissy when people get up to go to the bathroom during his 2.5 hour lecture, yet does not give us a break. Gotta sic the class reps on him.

There are no cute boys here. If you are a cute boy, please apply to and choose UW.

Nothing is a dealbreaker, though. My school has alot of positive things that far outweigh the negatives.

Everything at my campus (UF St Pete) is too strict. It's like they are afraid that the Gainesville profs won't respect them. We are graded harder with a different standard than in Gainesville for projects. G'ville students are graded by TA's. Most of our preceptors are really bitchy. They filled academic dishonesty charges on two lab groups who worked together on a stupid assignment. No one said that dividing up work was cheating. Gainesville decided that they can stay in school. I'm sure the preceptors at St Pete were disappointed.

When they assign people to groups, they assume that they can work together during times we're not in class. In Gainesville, it's feasible. On a distance campus, people in the same group may live 3 hours from each other. Yet, we have the same deadlines. We get our assignments later than in Gainesville, because the lectures are delayed, but we don't get an extra 2 hours to turn them in.

Some students at my campus have lab scheduled on the same day as another class. I have it on Tuesday, so I have to drive 4 days a week. People that live near campus all seemed to get the 3 day week. They say it's random, but this happens each semester to all the students with a long commute.

I hate taking 8 classes at once. They all have assignments, readings, quizzes, etc. They are deliberatly subjecting us to as much stress as possible to see if we crack. Last night, I fell asleep at 7:30pm from pure exhaustion. I'm up late tonight, because I have a group assignment due.

If I had it to do over, I would either go to a different school or just move closer to campus and tell my husband too bad, he can live alone.

bananaface said:
There are no cute boys here. If you are a cute boy, please apply to and choose UW.

I resent that comment! Are you saying that I'm ugly? :mad:

I hate in general a great portion of pharmacy school students who either are in it for the big money (check out prepharm forums!) or have gotten in their heads that they're going to be high and mighty DOCTORS and/or marry a rich doctor.

A respectful pharmacist I work with told me back in his day (circa 1980's) pharmacy wasn't big money and they didn't have all those "pharmacy princesses" or whatever. Seriously who pays thousands of dollars for LV handbags? (true, I may like to own one someday, but not take it for granted) Who wears stilettos and de$igner trends to school every day?? And I thought pharmacy and healthcare was for geeky dorks like me... I don't fit in and I hate it. I am pulling dean's list and I love studying pharmaceutical care (oncology maybe) but I can honestly say these are the worst 3 years of my life so far. I go to class and don't look left or right, just attend lecture and go straight home. Sometimes I feel like I'm lost, or that I missed important information. I lived alone and had SI first year and thought about going in for counseling. I later made a friend and a boyfriend but things are still difficult. I used to be happy, had a lot of nerdy friends, and was active in school and community. Luckily clinical pharmacy pays less and takes another year of being poor so I won't run into those skanky moneygrubbers after graduation. I hate pharmacy school.

I guess this is probably a nationwide thing and not just specific to my school. I hear California schools are tough... are there lots of nerds like me? Should I have gone there instead of the 'ol south?

crying moo said:
I guess this is probably a nationwide thing and not just specific to my school. I hear California schools are tough... are there lots of nerds like me? Should I have gone there instead of the 'ol south?

I am a nerd like you. In undergrad, I had science nerd friends. At UF, most people are into socializing. I have nothing in common with them. I go to class, then I head home. When they let you pick groups for projects, I have to wait, then put myself in the left over group with all the other nerds. It doesn't really matter, as long as I pass.

drgroulx and moo, im right there with you on that. At buffalo, tons of students are exaclty the way too say. Its all spot on. I am the only one that wears non designer t-shirts and old running shoes (i have no A&F or holister clothes or nothing like that). Im pretty much a loner, i have few aquatences but no real friends in the program. I have a couple friends i met during my undergrad that i hang out with (kids i run with mostly). I basically go most of the day i really dont talk to anyone, i jsut go to class and go home. Its my third year and im doing some pharm sci reseach with a professior that im enjoying alot, even thinking about a pH.D afterwards but you never know. The pharm sci kids are totally different that the pharm D kids.

Funny story, i was in the elevator going to lab and some biology kids and pharmacy kids got on. THe pharmacy kids got off adn the bio kids where still on and commented to each other something like, what the hell do those pharmacy kids dress up for every day, its like they are going to a business meeting all the time. It was pretty good, and me being dressed normal slipped under their radar

3 A.M. registrations here -- yuck! And people actually get up that early and register for EVERY elective so they get filled before you get a chance to register. It's a campus wide thing tho (other professional schools on campus are stuck with it too).

bananaface said:
If I revise that to "no cute, single, straight boys who are 27+/- 5 years", will you still be offended?

Nope. I'm 21 :)

Sosumi said:
3 A.M. registrations here -- yuck! And people actually get up that early and register for EVERY elective so they get filled before you get a chance to register. It's a campus wide thing tho (other professional schools on campus are stuck with it too).

Our most popular elective is via lottery. You sign up online and the computer picks who gets in. The deadline is today. So, if I don't get picked, I think I'll take clinical toxicology.

bananaface said:

seriously! no one told us pharmacy school was going to be almost 80% girls!

I love pharmacy school so far. I work too much and have crappy time management skills but that has nothing to do with the school itself. I have noticed that a lot of people dress nicely - you see some designer stuff but mostly a lot of business casual. I can't afford to dress that way but it doesn't bother me to see someone in dressy pants and heels with a collared blouse.

I wish this school weren't in this stupid city. I would be far more social if there were bars I could walk to.

oh! but what does bug me about my classmates are the people who get all anal about everything and unhappy about high Bs and low As.

the hard part was getting in people, just make sure you understand the stuff, the number on the top is not a big deal. Even if you're going to do a residency a GPA under 3.5 is not going to kill you. Also, this isn't undergrad anymore, we don't have (as many of) the idiots to bring down class averages and put you in the top 1/3. Guess what, we were all those top 1/3 students and now it's your turn to be in the bottom 1/3. Get over it.

njac said:
seriously! no one told us pharmacy school was going to be almost 80% girls!

I am now looking forward to starting next fall more than ever... :love: :laugh:

njac said:
oh! but what does bug me about my classmates are the people who get all anal about everything and unhappy about high Bs and low As.

the hard part was getting in people, just make sure you understand the stuff, the number on the top is not a big deal. Even if you're going to do a residency a GPA under 3.5 is not going to kill you. Also, this isn't undergrad anymore, we don't have (as many of) the idiots to bring down class averages and put you in the top 1/3. Guess what, we were all those top 1/3 students and now it's your turn to be in the bottom 1/3. Get over it.

That is a great point!! I hate the competitive nature in undergraduate classes. I always try to help people when I can, but when I need clarification on something I feel that many people are hesitant to help me. Hopefully if and when I get into pharmacy school that will all change. :confused:

Dana, that sucks....i really think this is unique to the St. Pete campus though. For the most part, our preceptors are really good. The campus directors really work with us and are very helpful.

There really isn't anything I would complain about at my campus and for the most part I don't have problems with the school in general. I kinda wish that I was more able to participate in Gainesville events though. That's the one thing that I miss out on by being at a distance campus.