Your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ergo_sum

psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These comments were made on the psychologists forum. I have condensed a few posts here. My response follows later on in that thread. Anyone care to comment?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=244987

>>Also, based on my personal experience, working with many foreign medical grads who are psychiatrists, I often see inappropriate diagnoses, poor/dangerous medication choices, and frequent communication problems due to langauge barriers and poor communication skills and/or cultural differences. I have personally caught several egregious errors in prescribing and tx.

...The data suggests (but is not dispositive) that foreign medical grads (mostly from India and Asia) are the worst offenders in terms of medical malpractice issues related to prescribed medications. Yes, this seems like a sweeping generalization, but that is what the research has shown. Sorry if that bothers you.

...It is the FMGs who end up harming patients, more often, than the non-physician prescribers.

Why is this? Several reasons. FMGs typically receive inferior training. They usually have 5-6 years of formal education (typically, a Bachelor's in Medicine is the degree earned without prior undergraduate training). They are often trained in medical schools with poor facilities, poorly trained faculty, and do not have access to medical technology or state-of-the-art treatment techniques and information. They come to the US and must pass the USMLE I and II and then complete a residency, where they actually learn to be physicians, but often, that process is like building a house on quicksand. Without a proper and strong foundation to start, any structure built thereafter will be subject to slowly sliding into the quagmire.<<

Members don't see this ad.

You might get a better response in the Asia forum. In the UK/Ireland/Western European countries, psychiatry is quite developed. I think part of the problem could be that psychiatry is a "vague" field of medicine to begin with, with oftentimes difficult diagnoses arising from comorbidities, thin line btw diagnostic categories (mood d/o), and etc. Add to that the way psych diseases are viewed around the globe (i.e. "bio-psycho-social" model), and there could be the problem. Most western countries will use the ICD-10 and the DSM-IV, but I don't know if they use the same in asian countries (I presume they use the ICD-10, but I don't know.) Also, some countries may have a higher prevalence of disorders over another, so exposure to a particular condition may be less. Add to that differences in prescribing protocol and different names for drugs or different availability of drugs, and you might have a problem.

Anyway, I'll move this to another forum.