Your weak areas....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenCarson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid question and I'm sorry if it was asked b4, but how do you really figure out your weak areas based on NBME and UW? do you go by the areas that you don't feel confident about or what? I looked at the NBME scoring bands but have no clue. please help. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this sounds stupid question and I'm sorry if it was asked b4, but how do you really figure out your weak areas based on NBME and UW? do you go by the areas that you don't feel confident about or what? I looked at the NBME scoring bands but have no clue. please help. thanks.
I don't think that a single NBME is a good enough sample size to identify weak areas. If you've done 2-3, and you notice trends, then believe those.

I think the better indicator for me is my UW and Qbank percentages. For example, Micro and Biochem are easily my 2 weakest. I know not just because of my low %'s on those, but because I just know. If you really think about it and are honest with yourself, you probably already know your weak areas.

I know i'm biochemically ******ed because out of 2075 UWorld questions I was like 35th%-tile on biochem and ~70th+ on everything else. that's enough for me.. i already knew I suck at biochem though, the sad thing is I've already dedicated too much time to it proportionately and I'm not getting better so I'm just banking on guess-work and a biochem low-weighted exam. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know i'm biochemically ******ed because out of 2075 UWorld questions I was like 35th%-tile on biochem and ~70th+ on everything else. that's enough for me.. i already knew I suck at biochem though, the sad thing is I've already dedicated too much time to it proportionately and I'm not getting better so I'm just banking on guess-work and a biochem low-weighted exam. :xf:

dude, rapid review biochem.... i know some people vote against it, but I read it in one day, and man, it was really useful.. highly recommended from me at least.

#$&^ pharm

What, you mean you guys didn't work in a pharmacy for 3 years before med school? :smuggrin:

Strangely, I seem to be a bit deficient in some parts of phys even though I did really well in the class and on the NBME. Biochem and immunology are also not my friends. Fortunately, path and I get along just fine.

I seem to be most weak in the pre-clinical basic sciences, with the exception of cystic fibrosis questions, which isn't that bad, because if UW is a good representation of the real test, I should be able to drop a 240 if I can just get the CF questions right, even if I miss everything else.