"You're #1"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilybriscoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I actually got a call from a PD (at a program that I will not name) who left me a message saying "just so you know, we just submitted our rank list and you were #1." I was shocked! I didn't have any indication beforehand that I was a favored applicant.
Okay, a few questions:
1) Does this happen often?
2) Should I call her/him back?
3) Should an applicant worry if their #1 choice doesn't call them?

Please forgive me; the point of this post is not to brag - though, of course, this news makes me happy :) . I also thought I would like to know if another applicant got a similar call. So hopefully this is informational.

Lily

Members don't see this ad.

lilybriscoe said:
Hi guys,
I actually got a call from a PD (at a program that I will not name) who left me a message saying "just so you know, we just submitted our rank list and you were #1." I was shocked! I didn't have any indication beforehand that I was a favored applicant.
Okay, a few questions:

Please forgive me; the point of this post is not to brag - though, of course, this news makes me happy :) . I also thought I would like to know if another applicant got a similar call. So hopefully this is informational.

Lily

1. It's not supposed to happen at all, so probably not.
2.No.
3.No.

They are trying to game the match by telling you so that if you really do want them first, then there is a good chance they will get you provided you rank them very highly (in their hopes, first, that is, if they really did rank you first as they said).

lilybriscoe said:
Hi guys,
Okay, a few questions:

Lily

OK, I'll come clean. That was me calling. It was wrong of me to try and bend peoples' rank lists away from the programs I want. Lo siento.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have guessed. You are pretty cut-throat! :smuggrin:

monkey7247 said:
OK, I'll come clean. That was me calling. It was wrong of me to try and bend peoples' rank lists away from the programs I want. Lo siento.

:laugh:

lilybriscoe said:
Hi guys,
Okay, a few questions:

Lily

Congrats :D - Although this is probably outside the rules, I think it is on the up and up in terms of the program acutally ranking you #1. If they did it today and called you after 12 noon PCT then there is no way that you could change your rank list to match. So I do not think that they are trying to manipulate you in any way. As far as calling back I would seek advice from your OSA.

Just an opinion

lilybriscoe said:
Lily

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Although, it's great news for you, I want to emphasize that this happens infrequently. I never heard anything from USC until the morning of the match.

rubensan said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Although, it's great news for you, I want to emphasize that this happens infrequently. I never heard anything from USC until the morning of the match.

Hmm, I don't remember meeting you @ Columbia, SC.

;)

rubensan said:
Dear monkey,
University of Southern California.

Oh, the other USC (I knew that).