Yyeeehhhaaaaa Beeeooootttches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lvspro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:D
I miss jet swearing, spitting copenhagen on lesser beings, and otherwise raising hell around here.

Actually, I'm excited about the fact that I was told that after I pass step 3, I can moonlight in the department for 6 bones a day, and I'm only 6 weeks into internship. :cool: :cool:

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

how much is 6 bones?

johankriek said:
how much is 6 bones?

600 bucks for 8 hours... I'm just thinking about how amusing this number must be for the attendings pulling in like 2x this for the same shift... or is that 3x?

Members don't see this ad :)
lvspro said:
600 bucks for 8 hours... I'm just thinking about how amusing this number must be for the attendings pulling in like 2x this for the same shift... or is that 3x?

I just got a sign on bonus, I wont say the amount, not polite to brag right ;)

I am jealous - if you moonlight in house it counts toward your 80 hour week...since my average last month was 97 hours a week I think i have to pay the department.
I have a friend in Ohio who moonlighted (moonlit) his first month by taking call for the neurosurgeons at his hospital he made $800 for o/n during the week an extra $200 if he rounded with them in the morning and I think it was $200 more if it was on the weekend.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger....i will just keep repeating that!

Yup
It seems to be a pretty good deal, so I'm just geeked to have this opportunity. Anyhow, most of our weeks are around 60-70 hours, so I can pick up like 1 day/week, and still not violate my 80 hr limit. 2 things to be addressed here... 1. Yes the 80 hr rule is in effect, 2. I can't frigging believe I get weekends off if I'm not on call... as an intern, to boot!!!
Anyhow, the further I go along in the program, the more I'm realizing I made the right choice.

lvspro said:
Yup
It seems to be a pretty good deal, so I'm just geeked to have this opportunity. Anyhow, most of our weeks are around 60-70 hours, so I can pick up like 1 day/week, and still not violate my 80 hr limit. 2 things to be addressed here... 1. Yes the 80 hr rule is in effect, 2. I can't frigging believe I get weekends off if I'm not on call... as an intern, to boot!!!
Anyhow, the further I go along in the program, the more I'm realizing I made the right choice.

Where are you? Sounds like a sweet program!

rufio173 said:
Where are you? Sounds like a sweet program!

WSU/DMC... Detroit baby!! Go tigers, Pistons, Wings.... and... uh... Lions?!

lvspro said:
WSU/DMC... Detroit baby!! Go tigers, Pistons, Wings.... and... uh... Lions?!

No call and weekends off is the way to go. I'm in that situation also, but it will change when I start hitting my ICU and surgical months. Live for the moment...

Hey lyspro, let me know if/when you bump into Trevor the Urology intern. I've got some funny dirt on him.

Trisomy13 said:
No call and weekends off is the way to go. I'm in that situation also, but it will change when I start hitting my ICU and surgical months. Live for the moment...

Hey lyspro, let me know if/when you bump into Trevor the Urology intern. I've got some funny dirt on him.

I consulted uro the other day for a traumatic foley insertion in a pt from the ER. I think it may have been him that came up to see my dude.
I've always wondered how the fack someone could feel resistance during insertion and decide "Well maybe if I just really ram this foreign object in there..."
Anyhow, it's good to hear that you're enjoying one of the nicer residencies.

Trisomy13 said:
I'm adding that to my list of phrases that trigger the DNR on my chart.

Ditto.
I grabbed my own junk when we deflated the baloon, only to find that it wasn't in the bladder :eek:
On exam, his bladder was full as hell, and the foley had like 75-100 cc of sanguineous material in it... not something I'll soon forget in my up and coming years as an anesthesiologist.

Bump
tis bout that time o year

Changes

The only inter-dept moonlighting opportunities we have is at the start of CA-2, after you pass S3, are in good standing, and are willing to work in a relatively busy SICU. I don't know the pay, but when I find out, i'll let everyone know.

we have the same as before.. not inter-dept, but extra anesthesiology call. two weekend shifts:

Back-up from home Friday 11pm til Monday 7am, pays 1K regardless of whether you are called in or not (more commonly you are there for at least a few hours sat/sun but i have seen some no-hitters)...

and a Saturday 7a-5p in-house shift for $1250.

we have the same as before.. not inter-dept, but extra anesthesiology call. two weekend shifts:

Back-up from home Friday 11pm til Monday 7am, pays 1K regardless of whether you are called in or not (more commonly you are there for at least a few hours sat/sun but i have seen some no-hitters)...

and a Saturday 7a-5p in-house shift for $1250.

One more change to above...
Screw the friggin lions!! I've had it with supporting this team for 20+ years.

Hey trisomy, if you don't mind posting, are you at WVU? I interviewed at that place a few yrs back, and really liked it. I got along really well with their chief (the dude in the newsletter that was in some 3rd world country), and seriously considered that place. The probation thing kinda scared me though, and location ended up trumping in the end. The reason I ask is that when I interviewed there, I remember them having something similar.

Hey trisomy, if you don't mind posting, are you at WVU? I interviewed at that place a few yrs back, and really liked it. I got along really well with their chief (the dude in the newsletter that was in some 3rd world country), and seriously considered that place. The probation thing kinda scared me though, and location ended up trumping in the end. The reason I ask is that when I interviewed there, I remember them having something similar.

that must be like being a Pirates fan in baseball... sigh

i'm not sure which chief you are referring to, but i'm not surprised. most people here are extremely easy to get along with, or to avoid. both seem to provide the same endpoint = good work environment. the paid shifts have been in place for a few years now, and are good for morale and recruiting. combined with a low cost of living, it's nice to make rent money in one day.

the probation thing looks like it will be going away in a month or two, as soon as we hear back from the RRC regarding our July site visit that went extremely well.

the location thing... that won't change but it works for some people. what it lacks in restaurants and concrete, it makes up for with outdoor activities and natural beauty. that's the party line, anyway. i'm happy enough with it.

LOL, that wasn't a very good 4th quarter for Kitna...not that the Packers really deserved to win that game given their performance in the 3rd quarter.

that must be like being a Pirates fan in baseball... sigh

i'm not sure which chief you are referring to, but i'm not surprised. most people here are extremely easy to get along with, or to avoid. both seem to provide the same endpoint = good work environment. the paid shifts have been in place for a few years now, and are good for morale and recruiting. combined with a low cost of living, it's nice to make rent money in one day.

the probation thing looks like it will be going away in a month or two, as soon as we hear back from the RRC regarding our July site visit that went extremely well.

the location thing... that won't change but it works for some people. what it lacks in restaurants and concrete, it makes up for with outdoor activities and natural beauty. that's the party line, anyway. i'm happy enough with it.

The stocky dude, goatee, and had a buncha tats was the chief. I think he had (this is not PC) an irish name, I just can't remember it right now. Ask your pain guy/chairman, the dark haired dude, italian last name(again, not so PC), he'll likely know who it is.

I had a feeling you were from WVU. I loved that place dude. Lotsa hills, trees, scenery. I just had an overall good vibe there. btw, gl w/getting rid of probationary status. I'm convinced that once that happens, people will see that place for the cool spot it is.

LOL, that wasn't a very good 4th quarter for Kitna...not that the Packers really deserved to win that game given their performance in the 3rd quarter.

I found myself cheering for GB at the end of the 3rd.
How bout that QB stepping in to fill some big shoes:thumbup: I was impressed.

The stocky dude, goatee, and had a buncha tats was the chief. I think he had (this is not PC) an irish name, I just can't remember it right now. Ask your pain guy/chairman, the dark haired dude, italian last name(again, not so PC), he'll likely know who it is.

I had a feeling you were from WVU. I loved that place dude. Lotsa hills, trees, scenery. I just had an overall good vibe there. btw, gl w/getting rid of probationary status. I'm convinced that once that happens, people will see that place for the cool spot it is.

i think i might know who you mean now. is he uh, black irish? :laugh:

luckily we've managed to match some quality folks even with the probation status, probably due to better applicants in general. i'm guessing once we're off that we'll just see an increase in overall number of applicants.

i think i might know who you mean now. is he uh, black irish? :laugh:

luckily we've managed to match some quality folks even with the probation status, probably due to better applicants in general. i'm guessing once we're off that we'll just see an increase in overall number of applicants.

Exactly!!
Very cool cat.

I'll bet you're right on above. Again, kewl place man.