Stanford pathology resident program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nancy2118

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am interested in Stanford pathology, but I can't find it on scutwork. Can anyone provide some insights? Like SP schedule, case load, working environments, attendings, fellow residents etc, compared with like hopkins? Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am interested in Stanford pathology, but I can't find it on scutwork. Can anyone provide some insights? Like SP schedule, case load, working environments, attendings, fellow residents etc, compared with like hopkins? Thanks a bunch.

There is no review for Stanford. Here is the review for JHU. There are some posters here from those two program but I dont know how often they frequent this forum. I think they graduated already.

http://pathinfo.wikia.com/wiki/Johns_Hopkins_University_Program

That place is a dump. No interesting cases. Low Volume. Undesirable part of the country. And the hospital is not well funded and doesn't have world class art lining its walls.

Members don't see this ad :)
That place is a dump. No interesting cases. Low Volume. Undesirable part of the country. And the hospital is not well funded and doesn't have world class art lining its walls.

LOL, you can't go wrong with either program. They are both top programs in Surgpath. I like Stanford's surgical pathology criteria site. It has helped me many times for presentations, etc. Apply to both and go see for yourself. Sunny Cali or cold winters of JHU should also be considered. :D

That's very helpful. thanks.:eek: Any stanford graduates?

I remember wondering about this myself last year when I was applying. Typical SP week: we are on a 3 day cycle people say (gross, preview, signout) but I really I think of it as more a 7 day cycle (gross, preview, signout, gross, preview, signout, frozens). Gross days you're there until about from 8-6:30-7:30 I would say. There are PAs in the room with you at all times, and usually they try to pair you with a 2nd year. If you have questions while grossing, you can ask and everyone is helpful. Preview days are typically the longest. There's a 25 case cap initially (and a few less for the 1st couple preview days so you have a chance to learn the computer system), and you will probably preview until 10 or 11. During that time, you'll look at all your cases obviously, pull priors, write your draft report (what you think the diagnosis is, and a tumor table if appropriate). I haven't had a ton of time to read on preview nights; I tend to do most my reading on the weekends and other evenings. The morning lectures are good too, most are appropriate for your level. Obviously there's scope session and such that are way beyond the pgy 1 level, but they are still good to go to.

Signout days are the shortest generally, you're probably done around 6:00 or 6:30. Sometimes, the day before your gross day, even though you might be finished writing up cases or off frozen section call, it's can be nice to get ready because you often need to show your big specimens to the attendings before grossing them in. It'll make the next day go faster if you have that out of the way, but it is not required.

There are two types of preview/gross/signout: breast/gyn/gen and gi/gen. On breast/gyn/gen preview days, you also preview cytology and are responsible for writing up 2 FNAs in the morning, and then in the afternoon, you sign those out with cytology. During these days, you also need to go to cytology and the techs will teach you about intepreting pap smears. You can also go along for FNAs On gi/gen preview days, you also do stat liver/gi biopsies and sign those out. You also preview the cytology with the person previewing gyn/breast/gen, but you aren't responsible for writing up the FNAs. On signout day, you sign out with 2-3 attendings, from 9-12pm usually. Then you spend the afternoon writing up cases, finding attendings to show cases, and doing follow-up (stains and such). Frozen section day you get the frozen pager from 9 am-6pm, and you have a fellow with you until 2 pm, and then it's usually just you from 2pm-6pm.

Weekends - you get all of them off during the first two years except on surgical pathology. On surg path, if you gross on a friday, you'll also gross on a saturday (and there's a 2nd year and a PA). If you preview on a friday, you'll need to preview over the weekend too. If you signout or do frozens on a friday, you have the weekend off.

Other stuff - conference is from 8-9 everyday. There is lunch conference from 12:30-1:30 Mon-Wed that you are expected to go to, and usually a gross room conference from 1:30-2. There's CP lunch conference on Thurs and Fri too, but not everyone goes to those because it's nice to have the extra hour to get more work done.

In short, surg path is a busy rotation, but manageable. You still get enough sleep, you still have a chance to enjoy weekends. The people, the attendings, fellows, other residents are all really great too. Teaching across the scope is very good, and the more senior residents and fellows that I've encountered are all very helpful. I've even had some of them go out of their way to do extra work (like come in on the weekend) to help the first years. It's really a great place I think.