Reviewing for pathology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffyone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, are there any subjects in anatomy or any other pre clinical subjects that I should brush up on before starting pathology residency? I feel like I forgot alot of my things from those years lol

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, are there any subjects in anatomy or any other pre clinical subjects that I should brush up on before starting pathology residency? I feel like I forgot alot of my things from those years lol
Bump

Read Molavi!

Don't read anatomy before going into pathology, read relevant anatomy (online) based on the gross specimens. You don't need to reinvent the wheel :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read Molavi!

Don't read anatomy before going into pathology, read relevant anatomy (online) based on the gross specimens. You don't need to reinvent the wheel :)
Agreed. Molavi is a must during your first year as a good primer. It loses its value the more senior you become.

If you are reading Molavi as a senior resident and you find most of the information in there to be new concepts to you, you're in deep trouble.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
There are two books that are useful at the beginning.

1. Molavi

2. Normal Histology from the Amirsys series (it might be part of ExpertPath now)

after that, good sources to supplement discipline specific texts include:

1. Rekhtman's Quick Reference Handbook

2. The Washington Manual

3. ExpertPath subscription

Avoid Mills' Histology for Pathologists. It is impractical.

Also avoid the two doorstops, Rosai and Sternberg. The first is too wordy, the second is full of errors. Neither go into sufficient detail to be useful in practice, and neither have enough quality photographs.

Reactions: 1 users
2. Normal Histology from the Amirsys series (it might be part of ExpertPath now)
This series is good if you already have a sufficient working knowledge of pathology to form a reasonable differential, and can then narrow it down to the right diagnoses.

A great at the scope reference guide.
2. The Washington Manual
Bought it back in the day but maybe only used it twice for anything useful.

Also avoid the two doorstops, Rosai and Sternberg. The first is too wordy, the second is full of errors. Neither go into sufficient detail to be useful in practice, and neither have enough quality photographs.
I read Rosai cover to cover as a second-year resident. Other than maybe being made aware of the different entities that can occur in each organ system, I didn't really learn a whole lot that I didn't already know from routine sign-out with the attendings. But Rosai certainly reads better than Sternberg. If you find reading stereo instructions fulfilling, then you're going to love Sternberg. I bought it back in 2009, have only opened it about 5 times, and now basically sits on my shelf collecting dust. I'll probably be donating it to the Goodwill or some other thrift store shortly because it's just taking up space and I know I'm never going to use it.

Also, as you advance in your training, the Biopsy Interpretation series and "A pattern-based approach" atlases by Lippencott and the "practical pathology" series by Elsevier are worthwhile. I use those routinely in my daily practice.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that as an attending, I absolutely find the AFIP fascicles to be well written and they're in their 5th edition with online access. As a fellow or attending, I would endorse having the set.

Reactions: 2 users
There are two books that are useful at the beginning.

1. Molavi

2. The Washington Manual

Agree with Molavi as good.
Mills is good IMO as a reference point for normal...Rosai and Sternberg are good books to have access to as well...none of those 3 are books to read "cover to cover" in "preparation" for residency though.

Brush up on your basic histology with whatever you used in your med school classes...we used Wheaters.

Honestly I listened to Goljan's USMLE prep lectures several times even after boards because he was just so entertaining and explained things well.

Reactions: 1 user
Strongly concur with Diana Molavi and Natasha Rekhtman.
Interestingly, they both graduated same residency program same year.

This series is good if you already have a sufficient working knowledge of pathology to form a reasonable differential, and can then narrow it down to the right diagnoses.

A great at the scope reference guide.

Bought it back in the day but maybe only used it twice for anything useful.

I read Rosai cover to cover as a second-year resident. Other than maybe being made aware of the different entities that can occur in each organ system, I didn't really learn a whole lot that I didn't already know from routine sign-out with the attendings. But Rosai certainly reads better than Sternberg. If you find reading stereo instructions fulfilling, then you're going to love Sternberg. I bought it back in 2009, have only opened it about 5 times, and now basically sits on my shelf collecting dust. I'll probably be donating it to the Goodwill or some other thrift store shortly because it's just taking up space and I know I'm never going to use it.

Also, as you advance in your training, the Biopsy Interpretation series and "A pattern-based approach" atlases by Lippencott and the "practical pathology" series by Elsevier are worthwhile. I use those routinely in my daily practice.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that as an attending, I absolutely find the AFIP fascicles to be well written and they're in their 5th edition with online access. As a fellow or attending, I would endorse having the set.

I'll second the Biopsy Interpretation series, but that's more for once you've started residency, maybe late-first to second year. I've never been a big "read the textbook" person, but I've read more of the Biopsy Interpretation series than any other. They're concise, practical, and have lots of pictures.