2010-2011 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

None

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would be sweet if UVM doesn't have essays in their secondary like previous years.....damn secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much weight Vermont puts on volunteer work? I'm wondering if I have a good chance.

Last edited:
Was it in email format? I haven't gotten mine yet!

Haven't received my secondary yet :( Hopefully will receive it soon.

Awesome, my first secondary of the year!

nothing in my inbox yet either...

looking at the past years threads, the secondaries haven't gone out until mid-July, so I'm wondering if they even are out yet....hmmm....that would be mean...

nothing in my inbox yet either...

looking at the past years threads, the secondaries haven't gone out until mid-July, so I'm wondering if they even are out yet....hmmm....that would be mean...

Ha don't worry I'm not that cruel...and I was surprised today because like you said they handed them out later last year. But I definitely did get one, filled it out (no essays) and just submitted it back a few hours ago with a whopping $95 fee.

It took like 10 minutes to complete.

Ha don't worry I'm not that cruel...and I was surprised today because like you said they handed them out later last year. But I definitely did get one, filled it out (no essays) and just submitted it back a few hours ago with a whopping $95 fee.

It took like 10 minutes to complete.

hahaha well that makes me feel a little better. I guess I'll keep an eye on my inbox.

Vermont doesn't screen do they??

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Vermont...

I hope you don't reject me because of a speeding ticket 5 years ago...

thank you..

I got TWO emails from them..they must reallly want me to fill out the secondary! :p

This residency history thing is crazy! I've lived in like 10 diff places and I need to look up approximate populations for each!?

Anyone else's application crashing when they get to the coursework portion?

Traffic problems on the server perhaps?

Ya the website keeps crashing "timeout error" or something like that...

Same problem here. I'll just finish it tomorrow I think. No difference between today and tomorrow and it is sucking today.

At the end of the "supplemental application guidelines", there's something that says "why did you apply to the university of vermont?"

(I haven't gotten to the last page because the website is broken, but is there a prompt for that question?")

At the end of the "supplemental application guidelines", there's something that says "why did you apply to the university of vermont?"

(I haven't gotten to the last page because the website is broken, but is there a prompt for that question?")

Nope there's just a drop down list with choices: size, reputation, location, or curriculum

Whats up with the speeding ticket question......

For the pre-req additional information boxes, we only need to fill it out if there's something funky about the class?

I only listed the first three bio classes I took to satisfy the "bio pre-req" and the one lab that satisfies their "one bio lab" requirement...even though I'm a bio major and took more than the minimum. That's what they want right, the minimum to satisfy the requirements and no more? That's my understanding based on what they listed in their directions.

This secondary is testing my patience... Keeps crashing or going slooooow. But imma get it done. Top of the pile :)

Is anybody writing anything in the additional information section that they provide? I feel kind of weird leaving it blank, so I was thinking about writing about why Im interested in UVM, but I'm not sure if they are just looking for extenuating circumstances and stuff like that. If I don't have to write anything for this secondary I'd rather not haha

I interpreted as putting in only what they specified below with the PhD stuff...I had thought about updating grades and stuff, but I doubt a another quarter of grades that doesn't significantly change my gpa (I mean, what's another .02 boost) really matters to them or one job I got...

Therefore, I left it blank..as I'm sure a handful of people will do, because last year's thread of secondaries, no one said anything about VT having a "prompt"..if they wanted an update, they'd probably ask for one.

for the additional information box, what do you guys think about talking about college classes you took in high school. even though I got B's in them, it does drop my college overall GPA by about .04. at the same time, i dont want to sound so uptight about it =/

i got the invite, but the website isn't letting me create a new account - did someone else have the same problem??

hi guys, did all of you fully complete your prerequistes? Does UVM require that we COMPLETE them by now rather than by matriculation? I still have a lab for biology to complete and I don't want to waste 100 bucks if it will just be an auto-reject b/c of this...

Their site is getting a little bogged down, so if you're having problems I would just give it some time. It is pretty sweet to finish a secondary in about ten minutes though.

hi guys, did all of you fully complete your prerequistes? Does UVM require that we COMPLETE them by now rather than by matriculation? I still have a lab for biology to complete and I don't want to waste 100 bucks if it will just be an auto-reject b/c of this...

anyone else?

im in the same position, maybe call them and let us know?

If your status is "We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your file is under preliminary review. The review of your file may take several (6-8) weeks.",

Does that mean we're "complete"?

If your status is "We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your file is under preliminary review. The review of your file may take several (6-8) weeks.",

Does that mean we're "complete"?

I remember the status changing to something else when they've actually looked at your application. You're either put in the pool to be invited to interview...or something else. Beware...THE REVIEW OF YOUR FILE MAY TAKE MORE THAN 8 WEEKS (more like 10+)...and calling the admissions office doesn't do anything to speed up the process.

I remember the status changing to something else when they've actually looked at your application. You're either put in the pool to be invited to interview...or something else. Beware...THE REVIEW OF YOUR FILE MAY TAKE MORE THAN 8 WEEKS (more like 10+)...and calling the admissions office doesn't do anything to speed up the process.

oh, by complete, I simply meant that they have our materials and I don't need to do anything else. I'm sure they haven't looked through it in detail as if they were choosing me for an interview...

oh, by complete, I simply meant that they have our materials and I don't need to do anything else. I'm sure they haven't looked through it in detail as if they were choosing me for an interview...

Oh haha, I know. Just in case other people wanted to know more information about the process after you turn in your secondary.

This website is killing me! Every time I go to the application it freezes, and also knocks me off my internet connection! This secondary is so easy, but I can't finish it! ugh.

Hello,

Can someone please help interpret the following information:

"One year or eight credits each of biology, physics, general chemistry and organic chemistry. One year of laboratory must be included with each of these prerequisites"

versus

"You Will Need:
Biology 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year
Physics 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year
G. chem 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year
O. chem 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year"

The first quote says 1 year of coursework + 1 year of respective lab whereas the second quote says 1 year of coursework AND lab together.

Hello,

Can someone please help interpret the following information:

"One year or eight credits each of biology, physics, general chemistry and organic chemistry. One year of laboratory must be included with each of these prerequisites"

versus

"You Will Need:
Biology 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year
Physics 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year
G. chem 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year
O. chem 6 credits of coursework + 2 credits of lab = 8 credits OR 1 year"

The first quote says 1 year of coursework + 1 year of respective lab whereas the second quote says 1 year of coursework AND lab together.

It means the same thing. In the first statement, it's simply saying "one year of Biology (lab and lecture)--it does't mean whether it's together or not, or at least that's not their intention. That statement simply means have at least eight units of Biology related coursework, six of which should be lecture, two of which is lab...Together, that makes up one year-ish.

It means the same thing. In the first statement, it's simply saying "one year of Biology (lab and lecture)--it does't mean whether it's together or not, or at least that's not their intention. That statement simply means have at least eight units of Biology related coursework, six of which should be lecture, two of which is lab...Together, that makes up one year-ish.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

Uhhhh I cant decide whether or not to write anything in for the additional info on classes like:

"I got a C+ because I was a freshman and had problems adjusting to college life, but I quickly learned how to properly prepare for college exams so next semester I got a B in another pre-req"
Not sure if thats a good or bad idea

do they send out an emial when we are complete? the status says they have all of our info but i don't know if that means i'm complete or not...

do they send out an emial when we are complete? the status says they have all of our info but i don't know if that means i'm complete or not...

I do not think so or at least I never got such an e-mail.

you won't receive a complete email. The "We have received..." message on the Applicant Center means you are complete.

they're not big on emails, compared to other schools. post-interview waitlist status don't get emailed either, everyone finds out via online status check.

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview.

Our interview season runs from September through April."

So here's the outline for UVM:

1. Application Complete (your waiting in the "pool" for weeks to months)
2. Interview Invite
3. For OOS applicants, the majority of you will be waitlisted. Rejected if you REALLYYY bombed your interview.
4. Write Letter(s) of Interests or Intent (they love letters).
5. Wait Wait Wait (for a couple of weeks up to the date of orientation)
6. Keep writing LOI and call them to express your interest.
7. Accepted. Rejected if orientation passed.

Many of you will be stucked in the "pool," and many will be stucked WLed. Just wanted to give you a heads up of how UVM run their process.

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Congratulations! My status has yet to change.

Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted/were complete?

So here's the outline for UVM:

1. Application Complete (your waiting in the "pool" for weeks to months)
2. Interview Invite
3. For OOS applicants, the majority of you will be waitlisted. Rejected if you REALLYYY bombed your interview.
4. Write Letter(s) of Interests or Intent (they love letters).
5. Wait Wait Wait (for a couple of weeks up to the date of orientation)
6. Keep writing LOI and call them to express your interest.
7. Accepted. Rejected if orientation passed.

Many of you will be stucked in the "pool," and many will be stucked WLed. Just wanted to give you a heads up of how UVM run their process.

Thank you for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.