2010-2011 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted/were complete?

I received and submitted the secondary on 06/28. My status was updated on Saturday afternoon, so the UVM adcom must be keeping busy already!

Members don't see this ad.

I received and submitted the secondary on 06/28. My status was updated on Saturday afternoon, so the UVM adcom must be keeping busy already!

Oh how funny...I got mine on the 29th and submitted it that night..
we'll see when they get to mine...lol..if they ever do :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're my "competition" since you're also from CA and love U VT haha :p
:luck:

Let's fuel this crush even more. Here's a photo gallery of UVM COM: Orientation week where students are learning how to use their tablet PC (UVM gives it for "free"): http://medphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/Class-of-2013-First-Week/G0000PWiBcGWzVCI/

Closer Day Look: http://medphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/20100507-Closer-Look-Day/G00000hvj7STbIsA/

Just an intro about UVM:
- 1.5 years basic science called the Vermont Integrated Curriculum
- The other 0.5 years will be used to do an elective of your choice in a specialty and a hospital you like to work in when you start your residency. This experience will boost your resume in the end.
- The curriculum debuted in 2004, and all the quirks have been worked out. Nonetheless, they are constantly trying to find ways to improve the curriculum.
- UVM loves technology. COMET is the online database where all the lectures are posted along with other interactive learning tools to reinforce the material you are learning. Check out the demos: http://www.med.uvm.edu/cometinfo/TB1+BL.asp?SiteAreaID=550
- The reason UVM gives students free tablet PCs (it's a Dell XT2) is because they want to save trees. However, there is free printing if you choose to print the lecture notes. - Burlington is pretty and small town.
- H/P/F grading system. The grade you get is based on your score only. This only fosters cooperation, not competition.
- From what I hear, the majority of the class attends lecture because the teachers are that good.
- Class size is small (114 students), so you get personal attention from your teachers. Avg age is 25-26. Students appeared and testified that they are happy happy happy.

The only cons I could think of UVM are:
- OOS tuition is high. COA is 71k.
- Cold in the winter.

I've read somewhere that if UVM was in CA, it would be every premed's wetdream.

Let's fuel this crush even more. Here's a photo gallery of UVM COM: Orientation week where students are learning how to use their tablet PC (UVM gives it for "free"): http://medphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/Class-of-2013-First-Week/G0000PWiBcGWzVCI/

Closer Day Look: http://medphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/20100507-Closer-Look-Day/G00000hvj7STbIsA/

Just an intro about UVM:
- 1.5 years basic science called the Vermont Integrated Curriculum
- The other 0.5 years will be used to do an elective of your choice in a specialty and a hospital you like to work in when you start your residency. This experience will boost your resume in the end.
- The curriculum debuted in 2004, and all the quirks have been worked out. Nonetheless, they are constantly trying to find ways to improve the curriculum.
- UVM loves technology. COMET is the online database where all the lectures are posted along with other interactive learning tools to reinforce the material you are learning. Check out the demos: http://www.med.uvm.edu/cometinfo/TB1+BL.asp?SiteAreaID=550
- The reason UVM gives students free tablet PCs (it's a Dell XT2) is because they want to save trees. However, there is free printing if you choose to print the lecture notes. - Burlington is pretty and small town.
- H/P/F grading system. The grade you get is based on your score only. This only fosters cooperation, not competition.
- From what I hear, the majority of the class attends lecture because the teachers are that good.
- Class size is small (114 students), so you get personal attention from your teachers. Avg age is 25-26. Students appeared and testified that they are happy happy happy.

The only cons I could think of UVM are:
- OOS tuition is high. COA is 71k.
- Cold in the winter.

I've read somewhere that if UVM was in CA, it would be every premed's wetdream.

Loooks like you've done your homework! :) I only liked it because it's next to Quebec and is quite a liberal state, so align with some of their political issues...I <3 their curriculum though...that was quite an attractive feature to me.

Hi everyone! I'm thinking of adding Vermont to my list of schools but I have already submitted my AMCAS and have gotten verified! If I re-submit my AMCAS, will I have to wait for another verification from AMCAS? Will that put my application at the bottom for other schools? I've read the application instructions but I'm unsure! Thanks in advance!!

Loooks like you've done your homework! :) I only liked it because it's next to Quebec and is quite a liberal state, so align with some of their political issues...I <3 their curriculum though...that was quite an attractive feature to me.

Haha. I better have since I'm attending UVM COM in a couple of weeks. :laugh:

Hi everyone! I'm thinking of adding Vermont to my list of schools but I have already submitted my AMCAS and have gotten verified! If I re-submit my AMCAS, will I have to wait for another verification from AMCAS? Will that put my application at the bottom for other schools? I've read the application instructions but I'm unsure! Thanks in advance!!

add all the new schools you want to AMCAS. as you are already verified, the new schools will get your AMCAS data almost immediately.

many people waiting on a MCAT score submit AMCAS with only one school, then add more schools once they are verified and have their scores, so as not to waste time waiting for verification.

Of course. Many of my classmates are from CA (from UC schools).

Hot diggity! Since I'm from CA...that'll be nice. Although I've never been to VT, it's just a state that would fit my lifestyle very wellllll......

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview.

Our interview season runs from September through April."

Just got this update this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're my "competition" since you're also from CA and love U VT haha :p
:luck:
Don't worry...I am a non-trad...if you are a trad, I don't really think I'm your competition:) I (possibly in a completely delusional way) think that there are certain "seats" in a med school class. A white 22 year old male with a ton of research experience is not going to get my seat, and I'm not going to get his:)

Just got this update this morning.
Did they email you when they updated or did you just check?

Don't worry...I am a non-trad...if you are a trad, I don't really think I'm your competition:) I (possibly in a completely delusional way) think that there are certain "seats" in a med school class. A white 22 year old male with a ton of research experience is not going to get my seat, and I'm not going to get his:)

Did they email you when they updated or did you just check?

Haha I am traditional....so I guess we're not competing for the "same seat"...but :luck: to us both! Funny that you refer to a 22 y/o white male with a ton of research experience...I'm none of those things...with the exception of maybe having a "decent amount" of research experiences...

status updates have come from the online application center; though the update says that if invited for an interview, it will be via e-mail.

:scared: My status hasn't been updated yet. Is that a bad thing?!

Yeah, I submitted mine the next morning after a received it b/c the website was so backed up. Ugh..just so anxious.

:scared: My status hasn't been updated yet. Is that a bad thing?!

I hope not! Mine hasn't been updated either... I submitted the day after I got it. Hopefully they're just reviewing apps in the order they were submitted.

Come on Vermont! Give me your sweet lovin'. I submitted my secondary in june... just hoping for that invite.

did anyone write anything in the "additional comments" box? does anyone have an opinion on this?

did anyone write anything in the "additional comments" box? does anyone have an opinion on this?

I didn't. From what I've seen, I think the additional comments are for explaining discrepancies in your application and stuff like that.

for the additional comments section, do you think we should include plans for the next year if we're gonna be out of school?

for the additional comments section, do you think we should include plans for the next year if we're gonna be out of school?

IMO, if they didn't ask for it..they don't care. I didn't even notice an additional comments section on this application that said anything worth writing about...(meaning it's not your typical "is there anything else you would like to share blah blah blah")

Any applicants from Florida?? I have never been to Vermont but I am already falling in love with the school. Definitely one of my top choices :)

Has anyone had their status change to something other than 'you are in a pool of applicants that may be interview?' I mean it seems like a good thing but who really speaks adcom-ese?

Muffyd. I think that is the notification that 1) your file is definitely complete and 2) someone has actually looked at your file and decided not to reject you. Two good things in my opinion, alas not a lock for an interview however.

Muffyd. I think that is the notification that 1) your file is definitely complete and 2) someone has actually looked at your file and decided not to reject you. Two good things in my opinion, alas not a lock for an interview however.

I submitted the very first day and mine still says the whole "6-10 weeks for someone to review". Are you guys who have updated statuses IS or OOS?

Has anyone had their status change to something other than 'you are in a pool of applicants that may be interview?' I mean it seems like a good thing but who really speaks adcom-ese?

yeah I would say it's probably a good thing, but it would be helpful to know if anybody has gotten rejected at this stage. From what I've read UVM likes to hold applicants in pools and waiting lists...

Unless anybody has actually been offered an interview, my guess is they aren't actually handing out invitations yet... probably waiting a little bit until they get a better feel for the applicant pool. Interviews are still at least 2 months away, after all.

Pretty much all you can do at this stage is be happy it's not an outright rejection and hold on to that hope that you'll be one of the ones who gets an interview... I know that's what I'm doing...

I submitted the very first day and mine still says the whole "6-10 weeks for someone to review". Are you guys who have updated statuses IS or OOS?

OOS. 35Q/3.7something

Guys, relax...Last cycle, I submitted the very first day and I got an invite on Aug 20'ish. Relax...

Haha I didn't mean to come off anxious (if you're referring to me). I understand the processes never make sense, I was merely curious.

~6000 applicants
~4500 complete secondaries
~3000 get the "pool" status message

(these numbers per UVM admissions staff, direct from the horse's mouth so to speak)

the pool message is a good thing, unless it still says that at the end of March - because if it's that late, you haven't been selected for an interview and won't be, either.

Last edited:
~6000 applicants
~4500 complete secondaries
~3000 get the "pool" status message

(these numbers per UVM admissions staff, direct from the horse's mouth so to speak)

the pool message is a good thing, unless it still says that at the end of March - because if it's that late, you haven't been selected for an interview and won't be, either.

That is super helpful, thanks!!
MSAR also says ~550 interviewed.

So it looks like....2/3 of those who apply complete the secondary, 2/3 of those get the pool message, 1/6 of those are interviewed, and 1/5 of those get an invite.

Every hurdle counts:)

That is super helpful, thanks!!
MSAR also says ~550 interviewed.

So it looks like....2/3 of those who apply complete the secondary, 2/3 of those get the pool message, 1/6 of those are interviewed, and 1/5 of those get an invite.

Every hurdle counts:)

I would like to add that generally, they accept twice the number of people who matriculate. So, they probably accept about in the 200's for a 114 student class. Let me know if you guys have any questions! I would love to student host some of you guys.

P.S. When it comes to waiting, try to occupy yourself. Try to save up money to buy the latest gadget or save up in general. Try to publish an article, volunteer, etc. It's going to be a long year.

I still got the "application is under review" message and I submitted my secondary in June. Anyone still have this message?

ok, more info:

you won't ever get email from UVM unless it's an invitation to interview or an offer of acceptance. not even for the post-interview waitlist status that nearly everyone gets. therefore, the Online Applicant Center is your friend. check it every so often. it's great when you have those oh-so-frequent "what happened to my application??" anxiety attacks.

for those of you who crave admissions numbers (who among you doesn't these days??), i found http://www.eduers.com/Medical/A-Z_Directory.html to be invaluable. i know the site looks like crap, but the stats are the same ones that one could pay good money for in the USNEWS book.

for those of you who have already applied here, you've made a strong choice. for those on the fence, just do it already. $95 is steep for a secondary, i know - but trust me when i say you'll make worse investments this cycle. i've been living here for four years now and it's a pretty cool place. this weekend i'll be at the Vermont Brewers Festival in Waterfront Park, downtown Burlington.... and that's just about as fun as you might think it is :)

Hey all,
first time poster here :)
I have a question about selecting the course requirements. I know that it is meant to be a partial list, but the only applicable courses that they listed for me are general biology and one semester of gen chem--all of the rest are a bunch of random math classes that I took. The rest of gen chem, physics and ochem aren't even available for me to select. Did anyone else have this issue? Should I call, or just make a comment in the optional section? Or can I trust that they'll look at my AMCAS to see that yes, I did indeed take physics and ochem?

I assume complete means they received all your letters too right? Damn you pre-med committee! FINISH MY LETTER!:confused:

I checked the online application center and I saw this:

Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Our interview season runs from September through April.

:(

did anyone actually fill out anything for the course descriptions after choosing our prereqs?

I checked the online application center and I saw this:

Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Our interview season runs from September through April.

:(

I think this is just the standard, "You are complete" status. Everyone has gotten it. They probably won't start extending interviews for at least a couple weeks (don't know this for sure though). Think of it this way, at least they decided not to reject you, haha.

I think this is just the standard, "You are complete" status. Everyone has gotten it. They probably won't start extending interviews for at least a couple weeks (don't know this for sure though). Think of it this way, at least they decided not to reject you, haha.

I didn't get that, mine just says complete I guess they aren't considering me for an interview

My status now reads "Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months"

Hopefully this message is a step in the right direction..as in "we've reviewed your app but we'll contact you later since we're not yet extending interviews"...rather than, "we don't really like you, but if we don't have anyone better, we'll interview you"

I didn't get that, mine just says complete I guess they aren't considering me for an interview

maybe not right this minute, but you are certainly not out of it. UVM interviewed until the first week of April last year (which i guess would be this year:oops:).

doesn't your message also say something about waiting up to 10 weeks for the next update?

Status
Not open for further replies.