How does my Resume look? Any recommendations for things I'm missing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoMuchMCATAhhhh

SoMuchMCATAhhhh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Hopefully this is a good place to ask this question- I apologize if there's already a thread for these sorts of things, but I'm sort of new here and haven;t stumbled upon any such thread!

Anyways! I'm potentially applying to Medical Schools next summer, and I wanted to get some input on how my potential application would look- especially with the EC's (are there any other things I should be sure to do?). Any input would be nice!

Stats:
Oregon Resident
-University in the Northwest (Physiology Major; Chemistry/ Education Minors)
-cGPA: 3.77; sGPA: 3.78
-MCAT: 33-34 (I haven't taken it yet; however this is what I've been averaging, so let's pretend this is what I got;I hope to do better though!)

Shadowing:
-CVOR, Radiology Lab, Pathology Lab, Catheter Lab, Nursing Home ~60 hours
-Private General Practice (Primary Care) ~80 Hours
-(hopefully soon) Cardiologist at a local Medical Center; ~would be around 30 hours

Volunteering
-Volunteered at a Local Hospital in the ER, Oncology Unit, and Special Procedures unit; ~110 hours
- (In the upcoming year) Joined a non-profit organization that goes out into rural areas and sets up portable health clinics and runs them ~30ish hours anticipated

Research
- Inorganic Chemistry/ Molecular Engineering based Research Lab; spent one year, and plan to spend the next there as well. (No papers published, but hopefully will be able to take on my own project this upcoming year).

Extras
-Was a Resident Adviser at my University for a year,
-A Science Tutor in a tutoring center
-A Teaching Assistant in a General Biology Course, as well as an Educational Psychology Course.
- Will have been on the board of an Asian American student association at my university for 4 years
- Gave a series of lectures in Retirement Centers about Diabetes, and how to use different Diabetes monitors.
- Helped organize a couple Blood Drives at my High School

** Also, OHSU is probably at the top of my list in terms of where'd I want to go to school

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're on the right track. I may suggest cranking up volunteering to help underserved populations or putting more hours towards the non-profit organization/rural health clinic opportunity. Try to at least reflect on what the volunteering means to you and helping others as many medical schools' missions are to educate physicians who will help serve underserved populations. This may make it easier for you on your personal statement and secondary applications. Best of luck!

Looks great. So why do you want to be a doctor?

Thanks! In deciding to be a doctor, I never really had that profound experience or moment- it was really a gradual decision I came to. But ultimately, I decided on wanting to be a doctor because I feel as if it really brings my two biggest passions together- my passion for science (the natural world and physiology have intrigued me and clicked with me since I was a kid) and also for my passion for education (thus the education minor!). As a doctor, I think often times it's overlooked how much teaching they really do- as a doctor you don't just diagnose and prescribe, but you do a lot of teaching (helping patients understand their ailment, teaching them about their meds, how they can change their lifestyle to maintain their well being). So in short, the fact that I get to learn about all this cool stuff, and then apply it in a clinical setting that allows me also serve as an educator, is really exciting, and I don't see any other profession that can do it in the same manner!

And thanks Lamel and premed3445; I'll certainly look into more work with the rural/ underserved populations!

Thanks! In deciding to be a doctor, I never really had that profound experience or moment- it was really a gradual decision I came to. But ultimately, I decided on wanting to be a doctor because I feel as if it really brings my two biggest passions together- my passion for science (the natural world and physiology have intrigued me and clicked with me since I was a kid) and also for my passion for education (thus the education minor!). As a doctor, I think often times it's overlooked how much teaching they really do- as a doctor you don't just diagnose and prescribe, but you do a lot of teaching (helping patients understand their ailment, teaching them about their meds, how they can change their lifestyle to maintain their well being). So in short, the fact that I get to learn about all this cool stuff, and then apply it in a clinical setting that allows me also serve as an educator, is really exciting, and I don't see any other profession that can do it in the same manner!

And thanks Lamel and premed3445; I'll certainly look into more work with the rural/ underserved populations!

That's a good answer! :)