2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for school to start!! I can't wait to be a student again!!! :D

I'm also having a good time right now as an MS0. After multiple years of maintaining a high GPA, studying for the MCAT, and applying for med schools, it's such a relief to know where I'll be next year!

agreed. knowing where I'm going is the best feeling ever. since I have my housing taken care of too, my stress has been replaced with excitement :)

Members don't see this ad.

agreed. knowing where I'm going is the best feeling ever. since I have my housing taken care of too, my stress has been replaced with excitement :)
Yes, knowing where I'm going - that's this amazing feeling! I couldn't put my finger on the specific things that made me feel so peaceful after getting the call from Dr. Mehta...the waitlist was really tough feeling so much in limbo! My heart goes out to the other waitlisted guys still hanging on still feeling that teetering sensation :( It really helped to focus all your energy on getting revved up for whatever other school you got into (or if not, on perfecting your AMCAS app) and then if Case does call, it'll just be delicious icing on the cake :D

Now, when I have my new address set, it's going to be a huge rush of relief, then sliding happily towards July 8!

Members don't see this ad :)
Meat: is that sc2? i probably wont have time to play sc1 or 2 at all in med school... T_T

Meat: is that sc2? i probably wont have time to play sc1 or 2 at all in med school... T_T

Ya, the background is SC2, I'm playing the beta as I post this. Overall the multiplayer is solid, but there is room for improvement in race balance. Also, the newly released battle net in patch 13 (Bnet 2.0) blows. It consistently knocks people offline, lags them out, and has serious communication / friend finding problems.

I'm still stoked for the release though.

And really, you won't have ~30 minutes / 1 hour free time a day to play video games during medical school? Sure we're going to be studying quite a bit, but from the students I talked to, Case's relaxed curriculum leaves plenty of free time to spend as you please.

This is the OFFICIAL VC7777 is missing post:

Evidence:

1. VC7777 has not posted for TWO consecutive days. TWO.
2. VC7777 is a certified bada**, someone would clearly want to steal his life
3. One time I saw this movie "Face Off", maybe someone took his face and took over his family / SDN account
4. Eggplants are stockpiling
5. Gary Coleman has passed away.

Coincidence? I think not.

Those are the facts guys. I suggest an immediate search and rescue to VC7777's city of residence.

ztu7k.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to post again, but the situation has grown dire. Thank you for all the support so far.

Visit this site to learn more about the missing: VC7777

http://vc7777.ytmnd.com/

5. Gary Coleman has passed away.
Coincidence? I think not.
:eek: He died?!! What you talkin' bout?

I get the feeeeeeeeeeling that vc7777 will emerge rapidly as 5000 closes in. :ninja:

Edit: Oops, doublepost.

But while I'm at it:

When searching for apts, did anyone looked at actual houses/duplexes?
Those who have hunted - what were the best areas, or best things you saw?
Areas to avoid? I have the "east Cleveland = die" warning fresh in my mind from the tourism vid XD

Last edited:
Reading this forum is so much fun =)
And on that note, I will see all of you in Cleveland :D
(Special thanks to Myuu for your epic post!)

When searching for apts, did anyone looked at actual houses/duplexes?
Those who have hunted - what were the best areas, or best things you saw?
Areas to avoid? I have the "east Cleveland = die" warning fresh in my mind from the tourism vid XD

Here's some info, off the top of my head. I'll write more if I have a chance to really think about this and look at a map in more detail:

QUALIFIER (to anyone looking in the area): I have lived here (in Coventry) for a number of years. This is my perspective, but may be very different from others, including those currently attending CWRU-SOM/CCLCM. Of course, you should do your own research, etc. Hopefully, though, I've offered up some places to start looking for those who might be stuck. On a final note, as with all cities/neighborhoods, there are great places to live that are not in any of these neighborhoods and there are crappy places to live in the neighborhoods I've listed.

Caveat Emptor (I think that's appropriate in this context.)

There are Duplexes (side by side and up/down) on Hampshire Road (from Hampshire Lane to Overlook/Euclid Heights intersection). There are multi-unit houses in Little Italy. There are houses with rooms to let on Edgehill from Kenilworth to Overlook intersection. There are also scattered houses on Overlook (near intersection with Edgehill) and on the south side of Mayfield (from Coventry to Kenilworth). These are all on the north side of Euclid Heights Blvd. If you're worried about the neighborhood, I woud focus on Little Italy, Overlook/Edgehill, Coventry Village, Cedar/Fairmount (although I know less about the houses, here).

Throughout these neighborhoods, you will find the 1920's style apartment buildings. Some of these buildings have been converted into condos, while others have apartments for rent.

Most of these neighborhoods are fairly close to the SOM: either a very short drive or walking/biking (if you've got 15-30 minutes to spare, it's nice outside and you don't mind a fairly steep hill.

For reference, I think the Waldorf is on Overlook (the other side of Edgehill) and The Triangle is on the corner of Mayfield and Euclid. North of Euclid, near the hospitals/SOM is mostly University Circle - lots of museums and cultural spots - not much residential until you get a little further away.

I don't know what the rent is at the Waldorf/Triangle, but current rents (for a 1BR/1Bath apartment) appear to range from about $500-900, depending on location, landlord and amenities (ie. heat/water/electricity/cable/internet/phone/roof - okay, I'm kidding about one of these things). Some are furnished - most are not. Also, most of these places are in the 44106 zip code, which is shared by both Cleveland and Cleveland Heights.

Members don't see this ad :)
For reference, I think the Waldorf is on Overlook (the other side of Edgehill) and The Triangle is on the corner of Mayfield and Euclid. North of Euclid, near the hospitals/SOM is mostly University Circle - lots of museums and cultural spots - not much residential until you get a little further away.

I don't know what the rent is at the Waldorf/Triangle, but current rents (for a 1BR/1Bath apartment) appear to range from about $500-900, depending on location, landlord and amenities (ie. heat/water/electricity/cable/internet/phone/roof - okay, I'm kidding about one of these things). Some are furnished - most are not. Also, most of these places are in the 44106 zip code, which is shared by both Cleveland and Cleveland Heights.
Rent at the Triangle for a 1BR/1Bath is... more.:cry: Is it worth it? Probably not (which doesn't stop me from living in a studio in the triangle, anyway).:shifty:

A note to people looking at Cleveland Heights: you would get (very) discounted access to the Cleveland Heights Community Center (of which I'd be extremely jealous, though more for the ice access than the fitness equipment).

I'm planning on heading out to Cleveland later this week to start apt. hunting. :soexcited:
Would like a roommate. Anyone still looking let me know.

....I really want to be the first poster on the 100th page of this thread but I don't want to act out some manic train wreck soliloquy even for 4 posts. Sigh.

I have no such inhibitions.:ninja:
The Threadninja strikes again!

Thank you musictomed, that is EXTREMELY helpful!! I've been going through the various websites for rental places and it's a bit tough to gauge beforehand what the place is like. I already have my tickets for Friday-Sun to investigate the best of what I've found and sign a lease. I'm extremely excited and a bit nervous at the same time, since I plan to definitely not move again for at least 4 years. And I am new to renting houses instead of apts! I've started setting up meetings with landlords :D

Btw that word always makes me laugh. It's quite reminiscent of the feudal system.

The Threadninja strikes again!

Thank you musictomed, that is EXTREMELY helpful!! I've been going through the various websites for rental places and it's a bit tough to gauge beforehand what the place is like. I already have my tickets for Friday-Sun to investigate the best of what I've found and sign a lease. I'm extremely excited and a bit nervous at the same time, since I plan to definitely not move again for at least 4 years. And I am new to renting houses instead of apts! I've started setting up meetings with landlords :D

Btw that word always makes me laugh. It's quite reminiscent of the feudal system.

Glad I could be of assistance.:welcome:

There are lots of signs up for available apartments in the area I outlined. As far as staying in one place for 4 years, getting into a good situation is a bit of a crap-shoot even if you do your homework before. If you end up in a place that's not what you had in mind, you'll already be here and in a much better position to figure out where you might want to be for years 2-4.

You're probably already planning on doing this, but ...

if it's possible, print out a few maps of the areas I outlined - they're pretty much either east or south of the medical school. Then, if you get here early enough, drive around the place. You'll see LOTS of "for rent" signs with phone numbers on them. And, I would imagine, the motivated managers would be happy to meet with you during the gaps in your days here.

Oh, and I'll try to call my landlord sometime in the next day or two to see if he has any places available. They're not houses but he's a pretty good guy: cares about his buildings and his tenants - very reasonable rents. He does his own renting and building repairs. If you don't mind my asking, why are you focused on a house rather than an apartment? I also might be able to give a former landlord a call to see what he might have.

Last edited:
Check your emails guys, we're now official students, registered and all.

I finished the process and now I have an EMAIL! :love:

Check your emails guys, we're now official students, registered and all.

I finished the process and now I have an EMAIL! :love:

I've already started setting up my filters and labels! :D

Rent at the Triangle for a 1BR/1Bath is... more.:cry: Is it worth it? Probably not (which doesn't stop me from living in a studio in the triangle, anyway).:shifty:

A note to people looking at Cleveland Heights: you would get (very) discounted access to the Cleveland Heights Community Center (of which I'd be extremely jealous, though more for the ice access than the fitness equipment).

Ice Access? :) Drop in hockey at all?

This Case/Cleveland thing just keeps getting better. :) You play Myuu? I recall you saying you skate..

I'm terrible at it, but I try anyway!

Afterall, I have to maintain this image somehow...

15006_715046898277_15606306_40066845_3143211_n.jpg

The email saying "You are now officially a registered CWRU Medical Student" scares me...what does that mean for other waitlists you are on? I'm scared to set up my ID and all because I know once I officially matriculate I can't get pulled from a waitlist. I'm guessing matriculating would be more obvious than getting an email, but I'm just paranoid. Any ideas?

Insert page filler here.

The email saying "You are now officially a registered CWRU Medical Student" scares me...what does that mean for other waitlists you are on? I'm scared to set up my ID and all because I know once I officially matriculate I can't get pulled from a waitlist. I'm guessing matriculating would be more obvious than getting an email, but I'm just paranoid. Any ideas?

During my interview day at UC, the dean of admissions told us that if you've attended an orientation at one school, you can't matriculate at another one if you're accepted off their wait-list later. So, its okay to accept loans, set up id's and whatever else you need to do because if you end up going to another school they'll void everything. The only req. is that you haven't attended an orientation. Hope this helps, what other waitlists are you on?

During my interview day at UC, the dean of admissions told us that if you've attended an orientation at one school, you can't matriculate at another one if you're accepted off their wait-list later. So, its okay to accept loans, set up id's and whatever else you need to do because if you end up going to another school they'll void everything. The only req. is that you haven't attended an orientation. Hope this helps, what other waitlists are you on?

P.S. I got accepted off of the waitlist today!

Congratulations! Are you going to accept the offer? Thank you, that does help, and that's what I figured. AMCAS Recommendations say that once you start orientation or are enrolled in a school you can't get accepted to another school, and I wasn't exactly sure what "enrolled" means, but I guess it doesn't say "registered" so it's okay. I'm waitlisted at UC Davis and UCSD.

I'm terrible at it, but I try anyway!

Afterall, I have to maintain this image somehow...

15006_715046898277_15606306_40066845_3143211_n.jpg

Haha nice! I'm far from decent either but I refuse to give up. We'll have to play some time!

HI All
Coming out to Cleveland later this week to look at apt's. I recall hearing somewhere to stay away from some landlords and area's. I was wondering if anyone would PM me with their impressions/ suggestions.
thanks everyone

same here! i'm going to cleveland next week and interested in apartments by coventry, or closer. does anyone have specific landlords or buildings they recommend, or ones they recommend staying away from? how about streets/boundaries of safer areas? any help would be appreciated :)

HI All
Coming out to Cleveland later this week to look at apt's. I recall hearing somewhere to stay away from some landlords and area's. I was wondering if anyone would PM me with their impressions/ suggestions.
thanks everyone

Would someone mind just posting that information here? You probably don't want a 100 people asking you the same thing...

Would someone mind just posting that information here? You probably don't want a 100 people asking you the same thing...

You might want to go back and check out post #4944. Most of the neighborhoods I outlined are pretty safe, but I'm a guy and have been living in the area for a while, so my perspective may be a little skewed.

As far as landlords are concerned, I would check out the places and see what you think. If I remember correctly, Cleveland Heights is somewhat particular about buildings keeping up with various codes and inspections. I'll call my landlord and see if he has any apartments available. You might find a better landlord than he, but you'll definitely find worse - he's a pretty good guy. Hopefully, I'll have more information, tomorrow. I'll post if I do. The city isn't very big and city hall is pretty accessible if you want to visit there for more info.

On a completely different note, this thread is only one good rant away from hitting 5,000. No takers? As I'm still relatively new to the thread, I don't think I should be the one to capture the glory, but it's been awfully quiet, lately. :sleep:

You might want to go back and check out post #4944. Most of the neighborhoods I outlined are pretty safe, but I'm a guy and have been living in the area for a while, so my perspective may be a little skewed.

As far as landlords are concerned, I would check out the places and see what you think. If I remember correctly, Cleveland Heights is somewhat particular about buildings keeping up with various codes and inspections. I'll call my landlord and see if he has any apartments available. You might find a better landlord than he, but you'll definitely find worse - he's a pretty good guy. Hopefully, I'll have more information, tomorrow. I'll post if I do. The city isn't very big and city hall is pretty accessible if you want to visit there for more info.

On a completely different note, this thread is only one good rant away from hitting 5,000. No takers? As I'm still relatively new to the thread, I don't think I should be the one to capture the glory, but it's been awfully quiet, lately. :sleep:

It's about 23 good rants, but the eye of Myuu is upon thee.

And I have 8AM rounds tomorrow morning, so, uh. Let's get to this, shall we?

Which is to say don't all wait until 8AM tomorrow morning.:mad:

Hmm okay since we're building up posts, I guess I'll ask these questions I've had for a while but didn't want to ask until I arrived on campus:

1. How much time do Case students have to study for the USMLE (ie: number of weeks between end of second year and start of third)?

2. When do students usually do research - is it typically done during the school year or are you all pretty busy with work?

3. Do people play computer games during medical school in their limited spare time as a way to relax or is this seen as somewhat of a childish pursuit?

Thanks. :)

Hmm okay since we're building up posts, I guess I'll ask these questions I've had for a while but didn't want to ask until I arrived on campus:

1. How much time do Case students have to study for the USMLE (ie: number of weeks between end of second year and start of third)?
I defer this to iceman!

2. When do students usually do research - is it typically done during the school year or are you all pretty busy with work?
Edit: We have a scheduled 3-month research block, but you can do research whenever. I think the research block is allocated in some sort of system by which you don't actually get to pick. You can research whenever you want, though. Some students do! Also, a lot of people do research over the summer.

3. Do people play computer games during medical school in their limited spare time as a way to relax or is this seen as somewhat of a childish pursuit?

Thanks. :)
And yes, people do play video games.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.