Interviews, acceptances and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovecoffee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
thought i'd start a new thread where we can discuss interviews coming up for people...also where people can post views about decisions - acceptances and rejections, sound out being confused about some schools or frustrations about rejections.
we're all agonizing about the wait, so why not start a committed thread to the wait process...
empathy is key :)

I haven't heard back AT ALL.
I am an international student (India) - I've applied to UPitt, UMich, Emory, BU, Columbia, Yale, UMinnesota - for health management and policy.
Also, rushing in to send out last minute applications to JSPH and Carnegie.
The only PhD program I'm applying to is for policy analysis at RAND Pardee Graduate School.

SO YEAH - thats a lot of schools. I wasn't sure of myself.
My stats:
GRE: 500 V, 710 M
GPA: 3.75
a year and a half of work experience

Wishing you all the very best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard from any schools either. I've applied to many of the same you have, a mix of MPH and PHD, though mostly epidemiology programs, with a few sociomedical, sociabehavioral, and general programs mixed in.

My list includes, U Minn, UPitt, Univ Illinois-Chicago, South Carolina, UNC, BU, Brown, Yale, Colubmia, and UConn.

Are rolling or one-time admissions reviews more common?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's still early - not even February. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

I haven't heard from any schools either. I've applied to many of the same you have, a mix of MPH and PHD, though mostly epidemiology programs, with a few sociomedical, sociabehavioral, and general programs mixed in.

My list includes, U Minn, UPitt, Univ Illinois-Chicago, South Carolina, UNC, BU, Brown, Yale, Colubmia, and UConn.

Whoa, that's alot of schools too - and I thought I had a long list. Most people tell me its not normal to apply to that many. Oh well. Best of luck.

I heard from BU today - my first acceptance :)
Great school/program but exhorbitantly expensive - so thats a downer!

I had a call from one of my schools - they were asking questions about my reasons for applying to a certain department. I was caught completely unprepared! In retrospect, I wonder if it was a phone interview :confused:

I had a call from one of my schools - they were asking questions about my reasons for applying to a certain department. I was caught completely unprepared! In retrospect, I wonder if it was a phone interview :confused:

What school and program was it?
If it was a phone interview, I think you usually get a heads up on that. It may have been one though.

I was accepted into Emory in December, and I was accepted into Yale and Tulane two weeks ago. Those are all of the schools I have applied to, so I guess I have been lucky. But now I don't know where to go!

oops, see response below.

Last edited:
I was accepted into Emory in December, and I was accepted into Yale and Tulane two weeks ago. Those are all of the schools I have applied to, so I guess I have been lucky. But now I don't know where to go!

Congrats sembrey! Would you mind posting your stats?

As far as the decision - I have a colleague who loved her MPH experience at Tulane, studying international sexual health. She became a project officer for an NGO in Madagascar upon graduation, working on a project directly related to her studies.

I attend Colorado State University and have a 3.7 GPA in Biomedical Science. I received a GRE score of 1320 with a 640V and 680M. I had about 4 years of research experience while in college, and I have travelled pretty extensively including some healthcare volunteer work in Nicaragua and Indonesia.

I was accepted into Yale a couple of weeks ago, and was waitlisted at Emory today (1/27). Now I'm just waiting to hear from Harvard, Hopkins, and Columbia? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Whoa, that's alot of schools too - and I thought I had a long list. Most people tell me its not normal to apply to that many. Oh well. Best of luck.

I heard from BU today - my first acceptance :)
Great school/program but exhorbitantly expensive - so thats a downer!

Haha...I know its a lot and I am not even sure I'm definitely going to go to school even if I get in. The SOPHAS stuff makes it so much easier though, its so easy to just click and add another school to the list lol. And actually most of the people I am around (psych students applying to PhD programs) are applying to even more programs than I am, so it doesn't seem to odd.

Congrats on BU!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I hate stuff like that.

One of the reasons I try to avoid answering my phone if I don't recognize the number.

Has anyone heard from Hopkins yet?

Did anyone apply to the MPH program at UPenn?

It's still early - not even February. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Alot of people seem to have heard back - judging from acknowledgements here and the fall 2009 thread.
But then again, I just about made all the deadlines for school... so I might hear back a little later.

The waiting is the worst. I applied at the end of November to Hopkins, still waiting. Applied to SOPHAS mid-December, and then my apps were sent out early Jan to GW and Emory... still waiting!

I try to console myself that there are not actually that many people commenting on the board. So yeah there are like 3 or 4 people who said they have heard back from Hopkins, but the other 1500 applicants are still waiting too.

Don't worry about not hearing back from Emory... I applied at the end of November and just heard back a week ago. They're quite nice tho, and if you call the department they'll tell you your application status over the phone. I had waited about 8 weeks and couldn't take it anymore and finally broke down and called, and they told me I was accepted. It's worth a shot, but don't freak out just yet.

I was accepted into Yale a couple of weeks ago, and was waitlisted at Emory today (1/27). Now I'm just waiting to hear from Harvard, Hopkins, and Columbia? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SuperHero...did you hear from Yale by email or snail mail? I'm living in Kampala, so i'm really hoping that they don't only send it by snail mail. The waiting is killing me.

Has anyone interviewed at Minnesota for their MHA program yet?

Has anyone interviewed at Minnesota for their MHA program yet?

No not yet.

One document from my application was missing - so had to resend which I did last week. So this will delay my process. But very keen on their MHA...

hopkins, mph

applied 27/11
admitted 26/1

gre 770/740/4.5
toefl 114
gpa 3.92, medicine, india
1 publication + 3 presentations

Congratualtions! good for you. I'm from India as well. Did you get any funding?
What's your concentration?

I talked with someone on the adcom and she said that there is very little funding, if any, offered to masters students at jhsph

When u say very little funding what does it mean?I know JHSPH is reputed to be a bit stingy, but from their website, there are quite a number of institutional scholarships(all competitive i know) & assuming they are all given out every year should take care of about 30~40 Masters students. Am just curious! I wonder what the criteria are 4 giving out these funds eventually...

I received notice by mail today that I was accepted into the MPH Epi program at U Minn. :) One down, six more programs to go!

Hey, for those already accepted to Hopkins, did the Apply Yourself website show an update in a timely fashion? It says that it will post a message when a decision is made, but it seems like many of you heard via snail mail.

Have the rest of you seen this site? You can type in 'mph' or 'public health' to see when people heard back from various schools across the past few years.

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

I was accepted to the University of Minnesota Epi program today! I'm so excited! :D

Now it's just waiting for the rest of them...

I have been accepted to Pitts and Emory.

Waiting to hear back from 8 more schools.

I was accepted to BU, GWU and Drexel... waiting on 4 others.

admitted to:
yale - by mail on 1/24
unc - by phone call 1/28
tulane - by mail 1/31

Any lurkers here hear from PhD Epi programs?

thanks kurly. i got accepted to the maternal and child health program.
Congrats! When did you submit your UNC app? Did you interview with the maternal and child health department?

I applied to 4 schools in the Management/Policy Departments:

Accepted to BU and Emory in mid December (I applied in mid November).
Accepted to Yale on 1/31
Waiting on Columbia...

Last edited:
Congrats! When did you submit your UNC app? Did you interview with the maternal and child health department?

i submitted on 12/24. was complete on 01/15. i did not have an interview so the call was a pleasant surprise as i thought there were interviews for the mch dept at unc.

I had a Yale phone interview with an alum on Friday, and it wasn't too bad. She asked about my interest in the program, where I see myself in 3-5 years, etc. She took many opportunities to talk up the program. At the end she said the purpose was to make sure that I'm normal, and she was "happy to report" that I am, in fact, normal. That's reassuring.

Accepted:
Emory
GW

Still waiting:
JH
Tulane
LSHTM- has anybody heard yet?
Oxford- has anybody heard yet?
BU
Yale
Harvard

newname, congrats for you and that's hilarious that she officially certified you as normal. :)

How did you hear back from GW - snail mail, email, phone? I am still waiting!

Also, did anyone apply for Emory's half online, half on-campus CMPH program? And have you heard anything? I check OPUS like 5 times per day. I hope no one at Emory looks at site usage stats or they will think I'm a nut. :rolleyes:

Just got a rejection on 1/30 from Berkeley via email :( Still waiting on Columbia, Boston, Yale, and Tulane.

My stats:
GPA: 3.45 (major: psychology)
GRE: 610(v)
690(q)
6.0 (writing)
also had over a year of public health work experience, plus a year and a half doing child advocacy, and international experience and volunteering. i'm hoping that one of the other schools works out!

Just got a rejection on 1/30 from Berkeley via email :( Still waiting on Columbia, Boston, Yale, and Tulane.

My stats:
690(q)
6.0 (writing)
also had over a year of public health work experience, plus a year and a half doing child advocacy, and international experience and volunteering. i'm hoping that one of the other schools works out!

Digitalis,

Sorry to hear about the rejection. My stats and work experience are similar to yours, that makes me a little nervous.

When did Berkeley officially receive your application?

Thanks and hopefully you'll get positive news from other schools.

Chnmnstn

newname, congrats for you and that's hilarious that she officially certified you as normal. :)

How did you hear back from GW - snail mail, email, phone? I am still waiting!

GW sent an email. Then 3 days later I got a packet in the mail.

Digitalis,

Sorry to hear about the rejection. My stats and work experience are similar to yours, that makes me a little nervous.

When did Berkeley officially receive your application?

Thanks and hopefully you'll get positive news from other schools.

Chnmnstn

I applied pretty late - I was right up against their Dec. 1 deadline and one of my recommenders submitted a letter a day late. But I feel nervous about the other schools bc I've seen on these boards that if you hear by late January, then you're either the top of the bottom of the stack :(

I applied to their Health & Social behavior program - which one did you apply to?

Good luck! I hope you get in! :)

I applied pretty late - I was right up against their Dec. 1 deadline and one of my recommenders submitted a letter a day late. But I feel nervous about the other schools bc I've seen on these boards that if you hear by late January, then you're either the top of the bottom of the stack :(

I applied to their Health & Social behavior program - which one did you apply to?

Good luck! I hope you get in! :)

With your stats, I think it's fairly likely that you will be admitted into all of your other programs (assuming that your statement and LORs are decent). Berkley is more competitive than the others you applied to, so don't be nervous! I'm almost certain you'll get into Boston...and Tulane, Yale, and Columbia are very realistic as well. Just give it some more time.

My stats:
690(q)
6.0 (writing)

also really sorry to hear about berkeley. i've been smitten by berkeley ever since i visited in 2005, spring break. my stats are almost the same... i have a 1210 with a 3.75 GPA and about a year and a half work ex.
I think you'll definately get into BU, cause i just got in there. You're strong. Good luck to you.

hey thanks. i haven't been offered funding. and i doubt i will be offered any funding by jhsph at least. if i enroll (and that's a big if) i plan to customize my course rather than choose one of the default concentrations on offer (customized to study chronic diseases with a focus on the epidemiological transition in the developing world). hopkins allows this flexibility.

what about you??

I've applied for health policy and management. i wanna make sure i keep my options open to come back to india... JHSPH is affiliated to the Public Health Foundation of India, so I'm hoping to pursue research focussing on issues in the indian context.... Actually all of the schools ive applied to offer such research opportunities... so thats how i hope to customize my degree.
I've applied to Columbia, Yale, Emory, UPItt, UMinnesota, UMichigan, Berkeley, JHSPH and Carnegie. I've been accedpted to BU so far. Waiting on the rest.

Hi everyone:

I received a phone interview offer from Hopkins for their MHA program...has anyone else interviewed for this program (either in-person or phone)? I'm a bit nervous since this will be my first interview, and it's quite a short notice since the interview is this Friday. If anyone has tips on which questions to expect, I'd really, really appreciate it! :)

Another acceptance today :)

So far...
Accepted to Cornell MHA on 12/7 (they contacted me by phone)
Accepted to BU MPH on 12/16 (they contacted me by mail)
Accepted to Yale MPH on 12/22 (they contacted me by mail)
Accepted to Tufts MPH on 2/4 (looked at application tracker)

Waiting on Columbia, Brown, Harvard, and NYU Wagner

Another acceptance today :)

So far...
Accepted to Cornell MHA on 12/7 (they contacted me by phone)
Accepted to BU MPH on 12/16 (they contacted me by mail)
Accepted to Yale MPH on 12/22 (they contacted me by mail)
Accepted to Tufts MPH on 2/4 (looked at application tracker)

Waiting on Columbia, Brown, Harvard, and NYU Wagner

This is awesome. good for you!