2009-2010 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else get an email requesting a payment? After we pay are we supposed to do anything else? Theres some things about lors and interview schedules but i have no idea if we are supposed to do that...do we just submit payment and if they want more info they will ask for it?

I received it too. From what I can gather, we pay...then wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same thing. they will probably make us all pay and then reject us pre-secondary...haha...i hate this system

I got the same thing. they will probably make us all pay and then reject us pre-secondary...haha...i hate this system
lol so true...give us your money so we can pretend to look at your app that we actually already threw in the trash :). Luckily they take fap so if they reject me its not too much of a loss.

I got one too... So weird. I guess I figured there would be, I don't know, an application when you clicked on the "secondary application" link...

I am reapplying this year to UNMC, and this is definitely a new system. Also, the fee went up :(

Just got another email requesting LORs and asking me to rank times I would like to interview. Guess the fun is beginning here!

I payed and was rejected before they had even received my LORs. That seems like BS to me.. pay for a secondary just to get a rejection before your secondary is complete??? Anyone else in this boat?

I payed and was rejected before they had even received my LORs. That seems like BS to me.. pay for a secondary just to get a rejection before your secondary is complete??? Anyone else in this boat?
me

I'm sorry to hear that you two got rejected this early! Are you OOS? I think it is really hard to get an interview at Nebraska if you are OOS...

Members don't see this ad :)

me too

Wow, that's total BS! Like, give us your money so we can reject you... Sorry, that really sucks. But it's true that it's practically impossible for OOS to get in. I think like 85% of their accepted students are in state.

Just got another email requesting LORs and asking me to rank times I would like to interview. Guess the fun is beginning here!

Impatiently waiting for this (paid July 2)... did the secondary application show up online also when you got that email?

hey everyone,

I got an email from UNMC asking me to fill out the secondary and select preferred interview dates. I am OOS and I was wondering if this means I have been selected for an interview already or is it just in case I do get selected, they have my preferred interview dates?

Also, does anyone know about how many OOS applicants interview and how many are accepted? My MSAR is kinda old and I have gotten conflicting numbers on this.

Finally, for those who did the secondary, you know how they have those recommendation forms to print out? Do we actually have to print these out and have our recommenders fill them in, even if we already have our letter uploaded to AMCAS from an Interfolio account? Or do I just designate the LORS on AMCAS and I'll be good to go?

Thank you so much!

Impatiently waiting for this (paid July 2)... did the secondary application show up online also when you got that email?

yeah, once I got the email, I could access the secondary. Before I also could not.

I just got rejected too. Haha I told my mom about how they make you pay and reject you before you even get a secondary and she was like "THAT'S NOT FAIR!! YOU SHOULD WRITE THEM A NASTY NOTE!" haha...too bad med schools can basically do whatever they want because they know people will still keep applying! :( well what can you do...

I just got rejected too. Haha I told my mom about how they make you pay and reject you before you even get a secondary and she was like "THAT'S NOT FAIR!! YOU SHOULD WRITE THEM A NASTY NOTE!" haha...too bad med schools can basically do whatever they want because they know people will still keep applying! :( well what can you do...
lol its ok dude same happened to me...as OOS its hard here i guess, the msar makes it seem like its not too bad but numbers dont always tell the whole story...I got rejected asap :laugh:

lol its ok dude same happened to me...as OOS its hard here i guess, the msar makes it seem like its not too bad but numbers dont always tell the whole story...I got rejected asap :laugh:

haha yeah I am not too upset about the idea of not getting in there I am just kind of irritated that they took my money before they rejected me! Dang it! The msar definitely has it's limits...I used it to decide which schools to apply to based on OOS friendliness but it seems a little off...DEFINITELY better than having to look up all of the stats on each school's website though!

hey everyone,

I got an email from UNMC asking me to fill out the secondary and select preferred interview dates. I am OOS and I was wondering if this means I have been selected for an interview already or is it just in case I do get selected, they have my preferred interview dates?

Also, does anyone know about how many OOS applicants interview and how many are accepted? My MSAR is kinda old and I have gotten conflicting numbers on this.

Finally, for those who did the secondary, you know how they have those recommendation forms to print out? Do we actually have to print these out and have our recommenders fill them in, even if we already have our letter uploaded to AMCAS from an Interfolio account? Or do I just designate the LORS on AMCAS and I'll be good to go?

Thank you so much!

Finally got it (the day after I call...a coincidence?). I do not know whether or not they interview everyone they get a secondary from, but they should confirm interview dates sometime so I guess just wait for that.

I have the same question about the forms though. All of my letters are on Interfolio already...do we need to get the forms to our recommenders? I'll call sometime next week and ask, but if anyone knows, please post the answer!

Finally got it (the day after I call...a coincidence?). I do not know whether or not they interview everyone they get a secondary from, but they should confirm interview dates sometime so I guess just wait for that.

I have the same question about the forms though. All of my letters are on Interfolio already...do we need to get the forms to our recommenders? I'll call sometime next week and ask, but if anyone knows, please post the answer!

I was told that we should ignore that requirement. But you could always contact them to double check.

anyone OOSs have their interview scheduled yet?

i got the email about preferred interview dates, but nothing has been scheduled yet for me. maybe i'm just being impatient, but I think it has been about two weeks.

I am an OOS..and i paid via the link..but am I suppose to send them my LORs now or do I wait for a secondary?

I have not received a second email from them.

Im confused!! someone please help!!

I am an OOS..and i paid via the link..but am I suppose to send them my LORs now or do I wait for a secondary?

Just wait for an email...they make everyone pay and then decide whether or not to send them a secondary...sort of backwards if you ask me...but I am bitter because I got rejected after paying before I even got a secondary...haha

hey everyone,

sorry to ask this again, but does anyone know the number of OOS applicants that are invited for an interview to UNMC and out of those invited how many does the school accept, OOS of course. I searched the forum and came across the 2010-2011 MSAR, but it only shows the number of matriculating OOS students to UNMC. I want to know the number accepted. Thank you very much in advance for any help.

okay does anyone know how to pay or how to check if you paid? i have so many secondaries i lost track and i don't have a receipt from them. When i try to login it says i do not need to complete the secondary at this time
so confused...

okay does anyone know how to pay or how to check if you paid? i have so many secondaries i lost track and i don't have a receipt from them. When i try to login it says i do not need to complete the secondary at this time
so confused...

They will email you a reciept. I am guessing you paid though, because the link changed to the "do not need to complete secondary" after payment (for me at least).

My interview is confirmed for October 2, anyone else confirmed yet???

They will email you a reciept. I am guessing you paid though, because the link changed to the "do not need to complete secondary" after payment (for me at least).

Yeah, i just got my confirmation email today! I'm pretty excited, but I'm OOS and I don't know how pumped I should be, lol; I wanted to know how many OOSs get interviews and how many OOS get accepted.

Yeah, i just got my confirmation email today! I'm pretty excited, but I'm OOS and I don't know how pumped I should be, lol; I wanted to know how many OOSs get interviews and how many OOS get accepted.

What day are you interviewing?

And about the OOS thing... do you have any Nebraska ties? I think that can help. But if you got an interview as an OOS, I would guess that they thought your application looked great! I found some stats on their website (source: http://webmedia.unmc.edu/medicine/kdybdall/webpage/admindemo.pdf They are from 2005 so keep that in mind). 807 applied, 17 got in. That probably doesn't help much, bc it doesn't say how many they interviewed. Good luck!

What day are you interviewing?

And about the OOS thing... do you have any Nebraska ties? I think that can help. But if you got an interview as an OOS, I would guess that they thought your application looked great! I found some stats on their website (source: http://webmedia.unmc.edu/medicine/kdybdall/webpage/admindemo.pdf They are from 2005 so keep that in mind). 807 applied, 17 got in. That probably doesn't help much, bc it doesn't say how many they interviewed. Good luck!

thanks a lot for looking that up, I really appreciate that. I've been trying to find out the interview numbers too and it has been difficult. Regardless, I'm still very happy about just even getting an interview! My interview is scheduled for two weeks after yours. UNMC is a really fantastic school. I can't wait to be on campus! Good luck with everything, cae2009!!

I am confirmed for August 28. Anyone else applying UNMC early decision?

mmm just got rejected from here baby, no pain no gain

Rejected...I wonder if they even looked at my app or just saw that I was from MA & didn't have a 40+ on my MCAT. What a waste of money :mad:

icon1.gif
confused

Wait for them to send you a follow-up email.

Last edited:
Are there any essays on the secondary?

Are there any essays on the secondary?

naw man, you just have to get some form notarized and then send in a pic with your name on the back (in addition to lors, obviously).

Me, too.

I got an e-mail saying that they were waiting for my MCAT scores (I took it on July 2nd, scores came back August 4th). First thing in the AM on August 4th, I got an e-mail saying I had been rejected. Oh well... 1 down, 14 to go! lol

Hi everyone,

I'm an OOS applicant (from Kansas). I received an e-mail today about making the $70 payment for application processing. My situation is that I took the MCAT earlier this month, and won't get my results until early September. Will they make a decision on my application before the MCAT? (meaning will they send me the secondary before they get my MCAT results?)

I am debating whether or not I should pay the application fee...It seems like they reject some people right after they pay and that would be such a waste of money if that's what they're doing. Any advice?

I'm an OOS female.

I am debating whether or not I should pay the application fee...It seems like they reject some people right after they pay and that would be such a waste of money if that's what they're doing. Any advice?

I'm an OOS female.

Cho15, probably not a good idea. Based on other people's experience, you need to pay before they complete other steps in the application process, including asking you to complete a secondary.

Hi everyone,

I'm an OOS applicant (from Kansas). I received an e-mail today about making the $70 payment for application processing. My situation is that I took the MCAT earlier this month, and won't get my results until early September. Will they make a decision on my application before the MCAT? (meaning will they send me the secondary before they get my MCAT results?)

Hey. I would go ahead and pay--you need to pay to access the secondary anyway and get your app rolling along. Wouldn't you rather have it completed, just waiting on your scores in Sept?

To rephrase...I am awaiting scores on 9/1 and have everything submitted except that. (They will allow you to complete the secondary w/o scores) Good luck!

Cho15, probably not a good idea. Based on other people's experience, you need to pay before they complete other steps in the application process, including asking you to complete a secondary.

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting I pay the application fee or not pay it? I don't want to shell out 60 dollars and then get rejected right away. If that's what's going on with most OOS applicants, I'd rather save my money.

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting I pay the application fee or not pay it? I don't want to shell out 60 dollars and then get rejected right away. If that's what's going on with most OOS applicants, I'd rather save my money.

Cho15, you should pay it if you want to apply to UNMC. If you already submitted your AMCAS application to them- you're already invested. I would pay the $70 and see what happens.

Can someone PM me the secondary prompts? I'd like to update the first post and the secondary application thread. Thanks!

So if we get a secondary - the 2nd email asking for a preferred interview date, does this mean we got an interview? Or do they make an interview decision after reading letters?? I'm confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.