2009-2010 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we get a secondary - the 2nd email asking for a preferred interview date, does this mean we got an interview? Or do they make an interview decision after reading letters?? I'm confused...

I would like to know as well

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So....yeah there goes 60 dollars. I submitted the secondary application fee and pretty much less than 24hrs later got an e-mail rejecting me even before the secondary. A "preliminary rejection" as they called it.

What a selfish money stealing system. At least be honest and tell people they don't have a chance before the shell out the money....

I was complete 2 days ago (8/25) and got the preliminary rejection today 8/27. Did they really even look at my app? 33/4.0 OOS.

Is it just me or does that rejection letter sound like their secondary? You have a chance to explain why you should be considered.
I'm definitely going to contest it the preliminary rejection though. NE has a good program.

Last edited:
So for the secondary, do we have to have our professors fill out those pdf recommendations even if we already sent in regular LORs through AMCAS?

FYI, if you submitted LORs through AMCAS, you dont need to submit the evaluation forms.

Got an interview invite, do they have student hosts?

No, I called Jackie and she told me that they do not have a student host program.

I'm staying at the Best Western Seville Plaza. Right next door to Creighton and about a mile from UNMC.

yup, i called the office and asked about the LOR and she said AMCAS alone would be fine.

well, gotta start looking for a hotel then i guess.
looking forward to eating dead cows nebraska is known for

does anyone know how unmc looks at mcat scores, I took the mcat twice and I got a much lower score the second time around. do they look at the highest or most recent score or some combination maybe? :confused:

hey future potential UNMCr's! i am currently in my third year at UNMC and wanted to let you all know what a great school it is - being in the hospitals now really shows me how well prepared the first two years were not only on content but also interviewing skills, physical exam, etc. goodluck to all those applying. if you have any questions about UNMC, the interview, or anything like that please feel free to PM me, i'd love to help out!

Members don't see this ad :)
6 days out from the interview! Anyone else scheduled for Oct 2?

Anyone hear yet who applied early decision?

I couldn't handle the wait any longer and called the admissions office just now. "Your application has been moved to the regular applicant pool." :(

yup, cae, i was there yesterday.

was really impressed by the school...and food.

creme brulee??

Haha... yes the food was good! I thought the virtual reality and simulation lab were very cool. Its going to be a long wait to hear back!

Congratulations, that's great. I have my interview on the 9th and I'm really excited. Hopefully that's me in a few weeks (or months).

Anyone else going to be there November 6th? The admissions office told me the Best Western was a good place to stay... any other recommendations? Just FYI, s: 8/28, ii: 9/30, OOS. Do we mail the notarized form and picture or can we just bring it to the interview? How many applicants attend each interview day? Best of luck to everyone!

i interviewed earlier this month. i recommend best western as well since they have a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius and pick you up as well. their online rate for me was cheaper than their special med school interview rate. i mailed in my form/picture. and i believe there were about 30 applicants each interview day since they only do it once a week.

good luck
you'll like it there

Anyone else going to be there November 6th? The admissions office told me the Best Western was a good place to stay... any other recommendations? Just FYI, s: 8/28, ii: 9/30, OOS. Do we mail the notarized form and picture or can we just bring it to the interview? How many applicants attend each interview day? Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know about any programs or scholarships/grants that nebraska gives to OOS med students?? im looking at the 67k/year total costs and thinking :eek: - but i have an interview invite. does neb. do it like some schools where after a year of med school you can pay instate tuition $$? any other ways that they lower the price? thanks for any insight!

They do offer some OOS students an in-state tuition scholarship, but I'm not sure how many they award.

Judy, the financial aid director explains it all at the interview. Things are going to be looking very costly for OOS'ers in the coming years due to budget cuts :(.

which best western did you stay at, i called the kelly inn one and they said that they did not have shuttle service to and from the airport, i remember the admissions office telling me that they did. maybe i heard wrong.

best western seville plaza.

i agree, while i loved unmc, i can't afford OOS tuition. we'll see

They are putting in an outdoor ice skating rink in the middle of the med school campus???? :confused: I am from Omaha and it really isn't freezing cold all that long around here (usually only late Dec-early Feb) They must be trying to drum up some business for the ER and Orthopedic surgeons.:laugh:

So i'm having a hard time finding school-specific information about UNMC. It looks like a cool school but does anyone know of any information that makes it unique? Is the curriculum systems based, PBL. I have an interview here and trying to find anything unique about the school - anyone else that has interviewed here or researched the school know of anything?

Rejected pre-secondary today. What a money sucking system! :mad:

I payed secondary app fee and received payment receipt. It showed up on my bank statement for like a day and now its record is nowhere to be found. Are they just holding cashing the fee because they are waiting on stuff or have I just been thrown out? Can anyone shed some light?

I payed secondary app fee and received payment receipt. It showed up on my bank statement for like a day and now its record is nowhere to be found. Are they just holding cashing the fee because they are waiting on stuff or have I just been thrown out? Can anyone shed some light?

That seems strange. Have they asked you to create an account on UNMC's secondary application system? You can check the status of your paid fee there. Or you can call them.

I did create an account and it says that my payment has been accepted but no record in my bank account. I am wondering if this is bank error or the med schools fault

Only a few weeks til UNMC starts handing out acceptances :thumbup:. It's been a long wait already!

Yayyyy I'm excited. When did you all interview? Come on UNMC :):love:!

I interviewed Nov. 6th. The Sorrell and the clinical skills lab were awesome! It's made the wait that much harder.

Mid-december-Jan did they say, when final decisions will go out?

Hey Y'all,
I was rejected w/o submitting a secondary and would like to ask for my app to be reconsidered. Unfortunately, I didn't save the email that explained how to go about doing this. Could someone please post the rejection letter that includes instructions for requesting reconsideration?
Thanks a bunch!
Jen

Has anyone besides EDP got an acceptance yet? Does anyone know when the first round of acceptances are supposed to go out?

Has anyone besides EDP got an acceptance yet? Does anyone know when the first round of acceptances are supposed to go out?

I emailed Gigi Rogers and she said anytime b/w Mid Dec- March. Also, I think they said at our interview that it doesn't really matter if you interviewed early or late.

Hopefully the AdCom will meet this week and start sending out acceptances. I would love an early Christmas gift from UNMC :xf:.

1.) Has anyone here interviewed at both Loyola and UNMC? I hear they both have phenomenal facilities, but was a little curious on the comparison. I'm a NE resident, but like most medical students, I'd like to have some options and look outside of the state.

2.) What is the mentality of the z-score system? I'm a little worried if it invokes too much of a competitive environment that is succinctly absent from the actual field of health care/service to others. Any thoughts? I know a lot of the Jesuit Schools (Loyola, CU, etc.) are on a pass/fail system. It seems that these schools then advertise the "relaxed, personable, community" feel in contrast to the Z-score-like schools.

Thanks!

Since z-scores assess competencies relative to the mean, I think it is a good way for both faculty and the student to determine proficiencies/deficiencies relative to the class average and would be helpful when determining how to prepare for Step I. Pass/Fail won’t give you any critical feedback for personal assessment. I know at UNMC they use a z-score formula for determining admission and also determining scholarships. Based on interactions with students at UNMC I think it's pretty relaxed there. I didn't get the impression that it is a competitive environment at all.

1.) Has anyone here interviewed at both Loyola and UNMC? I hear they both have phenomenal facilities, but was a little curious on the comparison. I'm a NE resident, but like most medical students, I'd like to have some options and look outside of the state.

2.) What is the mentality of the z-score system? I'm a little worried if it invokes too much of a competitive environment that is succinctly absent from the actual field of health care/service to others. Any thoughts? I know a lot of the Jesuit Schools (Loyola, CU, etc.) are on a pass/fail system. It seems that these schools then advertise the "relaxed, personable, community" feel in contrast to the Z-score-like schools.

Thanks!

I have interviewed at both schools. You're right, both schools have phenomenal, comparable facilities. I actually liked Creighton and UNMC, but found that Loyola actually has the best features of both schools (e.g Creighton's cooperativeness, and UNMCs facilities and curriculum). Of course that's going by my personal preferences for a school. I know people that go to UNMC and they admit that it's more competitive than people let on.

has the first round of acceptances been sent out yet? i remember them telling me mid dec. They've made us wait long enough!!

Status
Not open for further replies.