A Dose of Non-trad Motivation (Quotes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for awhile and I've been noticing lately that quite a few posters seem to be in need of a solid dose of motivation. I searched a bit, and while there might be some similar threads floating around SDN I didn't find anything that was quite what I was going for (I apologize if I missed something obvious) so I thought I'd try to start a motivational quotes thread for the non-trads since it seems a lot of us could use one that's easily accessible here.

Here are a few of my faves, then add your own, relate experiences if you feel so inclined.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

"I get pretty impatient with people who are able-bodied but are somehow paralyzed for other reasons."-Christopher Reeve

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucius

"Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you."
~Marsha Norma

&

for perspective

"Dreams will get you nowhere, a good kick in the pants will take you a long way."
~Baltasar Gracian

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I love this!

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'” --Erma Bombeck

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. --Confucius

Reactions: 1 user
How about this:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowliness, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

For all of those who think its too late to go into medicine, DO IT NOW! and don't wait more time and regret it. Time will still pass by no matter what..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"People on ludes shouldn't drive."

--Spicoli

Never mind, I thought the title said "Non-motivational quotes"

Desiderata-Max Ehrmann 1927

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

;)

(Seen attributed to both Ralph Waldo Emerson and Oliver Wendell Holmes)

One of my favorite quotes:

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

-Dr. Randy Pausch

black_skeleton_sitting.preview.png

MORS ULTIMA LINEA RERUM EST

Quintus Horatius Flaccus

How about this:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowliness, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

For all of those who think its too late to go into medicine, DO IT NOW! and don't wait more time and regret it. Time will still pass by no matter what..

So true. I've built my life around measures that would let me avoid doing what I wanted to do. I took the easy way out. It's time to change that.

What keeps you going isn't some fine destination but just the road you're on, and the fact that you know how to drive. -Barbara Kingsolver

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S. Eliot

Quotes I live by.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.
-- Sartre

If it's green, it's biology.

If it stinks, it's chemistry.

If it doesn't work, it's physics.

Sorry, but to me, nothing stunk like microbiology lab--especially when someone knocked over a concentrated bottle of staph. aureus. Microbiology lab is all about sharing the full experience of bad smells with all of the class!:rolleyes:

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity." -Oscar Levant

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." -Blues Brothers

And my personal favorite: "I recently broke up with my girlfriend who I impregnated on the first date. Don't worry, she miscarried. Ok. And I haven't even begun to think about asking anyone else out mostly because I'm concerned the stress lovemaking would put on my body would cause me to pass out, much like I do when I defecate." -Scrubs

"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." --David St. Hubbins, This is Spinal Tap

(Sorry, couldn't help that one.)

"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." --David St. Hubbins, This is Spinal Tap

(Sorry, couldn't help that one.)
"This amp goes to 11!"

"Well behaved women never make history"

I don't TOTALLY agree with this (e.g. Bush was pretty persistent, and look where that got us...), but it's a good one for med school!

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. -- Calvin Coolidge

I guess the secret is to be persistent about the right things.

As the Red Queen said to Alice, “Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!”

First you get the money

Then you get the "powar"

Then you get the women :cool:

i know some of the non-traditionals didn't do well in undergrad or like me, are worried about failing because of the family i support. I found this incredibly motivating.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hz_s2XIAU[/youtube]

here is another one as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc&feature=related[/youtube]

"I CAN is 100 times more important than IQ" ~Unkown

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me."

- Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski (1998)

"You have to make a mountain of cr*p before you can **** a diamond."
- My creative writing professor from way back -

"Luck is the outcome of HARD WORK. " - F.G.

but pretty funny, and i'm not even in yet....

“Studying in medical school is like having sex while you are drunk. You never actually finish, you just keep going until it’s not worth it anymore.”

(my appologies for not properly citing the person this came from, but I couldn't find it. saw it here :
http://mvmedstudent.wordpress.com/funny-quotes/)

"Stand Tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all, the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence; the gift of revulsion against it's implications; the gift of foresight - something utterly foreign to the blundering short-term ways of natural selection - and the gift of internalizing the very cosmos."
-Richard Dawkins

Ib ta die ishk hey rota hey kya?
Agey agey deckie hota hey kya.

An Urdu couplet which roughly translates:
"Why are you crying now. Just wait and see how bad it will get."

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Beautiful!:thumbup:

Ib ta die ishk hey rota hey kya?
Agey agey deckie hota hey kya.

An Urdu couplet which roughly translates:
"Why are you crying now. Just wait and see how bad it will get."

lol. And that saying is supposed to be motivational?

“If I want to be great I have to win the victory over myself... self-discipline.”
--Harry S Truman

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”
--Jim Rohn

Age doesn't matter unless you are cheese.

If you are not democrat by 18, then you have no heart. If you are not republican by 40, you have no money.

"When I told my doctor I couldn't afford an operation, he offered to touch-up my X-rays."

Oh, wait, inspirational.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be.
Now put foundations under them.
.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Henry David Thoreau

As you believe so shall it be done unto you. Old Testament, but basic principles behind the secret and a lot of other religious works.

What you think about you bring about, so make it really good.

A

I have been destroyed, beaten, pushed and forced into a one dimensional mold to make so many others happy. I am done with the niceties of politics. I will be myself, a nice self, but myself. -- Anonymous

"Inconceivable." I do not think that word means what you think it means.
--Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

"a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"

Willy Wonka

"Inconceivable." I do not think that word means what you think it means.
--Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Oh, that's good. I hadn't thought of that as an inspirational statement until now.