A Dose of Non-trad Motivation (Quotes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If ever you get lonely
And if ever you feel blue
Just remember that the great oak tree
Was once a nut like you.

:)

LOL, that's great.

Members don't see this ad.

I follow Paulo Coelho on facebook and he posted this recently:
Aleph jumped and now it is #5. Should I be happy? Of course. Even after 25 years of writing, I still have the same thrill. And I strongly advise you: be always proud of your achievements, celebrate you victories, and never pretend you don't care.

"Your life is an occasion. Rise to it." Mr. Magorium

Members don't see this ad :)
"I scratched my 22s but **** it I'ma keep rollin." -evidence

"Your best? Losers whine about their best. Winners go home and f*** the prom queen" sean connery

This is an original quote of my own - I wrote it out earlier today as my Facebook status so every time I signed onto Facebook it would re-inform me that my time is better spent on studying for the MCAT, and not on Facebook.

Stay committed and remain focused with unyielding zeal. The rewards will be immeasurable.

Hope it helps someone stay focused :)

azert.png

Someone told me this quote today:

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing." Harriet Braiker.

which might be good to keep in mind since more than a few non-trad premeds on up suffer from this one:

"Almost perfect still leaves room for improvement." ~(don't know)

"Without continuous personal development you are now all that you will ever become,
and hell starts when the person you are, meets the person you could have been."

Eli Cohen

I love it...so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys his post was bumped in a timely manner. I needed to read these today :)

Here's my contribution:

“It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.”

“Know who you are, and be it. Know what you want, and go out and get it!” ― Caroll Bryant

“The wishbone will never replace the backbone” ― Will Henry

I get mileage from a couple nuggets from the tennis world.

All the good stuff is on the other side of tired. Gil Reyes
At one point in your life, you'll have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't. Andy Roddick

Awesome motivational quotes!

Here's one that I have on my bookmark:

Don't Quit

Don't quit when the tide is lowest,
for it's just about to turn.
Don't quit over doubts and questions,
for there's something you may learn.

Don't quit when the night is darkest,
for it's just a while til dawn;
Don't quit when you've run the farthest
for the race is almost won.

Don't quit when the hill is steepest,
for your goal is almost nigh;
Don't quit, for you're not a failure
Until you fail to try.

-Jill Wolf

I generally hate colors in forums, but since we are bedazzling, I really wanted to. :D My favorites include the following:

"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it." - Epictetus

Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." - Earl Nightingale

"Stay hungry, stay foolish." -Steve Jobs

"Look, I've never had a dream in my life
Because a dream is what you wanna do, but still haven't pursued
I knew what I wanted and did it till it was done
So I've been the dream that I wanted to be since day one."
- Aesop Rock (from the song "No Regrets")

"The advice that people give to you speaks more to their successes and failures than to yours."

"We come unbidden into this life, and if we are lucky we find a purpose beyond starvation, misery, and early death which, lest we forget, is the common lot. I grew up and I found my purpose and it was to become a physician. My intent wasn't to save the world as much as to heal myself. Few doctors will admit this, certainly not young ones, but subconsciously, in entering the profession, we must believe that ministering to others will heal our woundedness." - Cutting for Stone

And for a rare bit of fun....

Patient: I'm a Jehovah's Witness, I can't get a transfusion. We believe that blood should not be passed from person to person
Dr. Cox: Well I'm a doctor and we believe that without surgery a patient in your condition can suffer from a major case of deadness.
Carla: Don't worry, he will figure out another way to treat you
Dr. Cox: [laughing as he walks off] Hehehe! No he won't!

That has nothing to do with motivation. I just love that quote.

I generally hate colors in forums, but since we are bedazzling, I really wanted to. :D My favorites include the following:

"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it." - Epictetus

Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." - Earl Nightingale

"Stay hungry, stay foolish." -Steve Jobs

"Look, I've never had a dream in my life
Because a dream is what you wanna do, but still haven't pursued
I knew what I wanted and did it till it was done
So I've been the dream that I wanted to be since day one."
- Aesop Rock (from the song "No Regrets")

"The advice that people give to you speaks more to their successes and failures than to yours."

"We come unbidden into this life, and if we are lucky we find a purpose beyond starvation, misery, and early death which, lest we forget, is the common lot. I grew up and I found my purpose and it was to become a physician. My intent wasn't to save the world as much as to heal myself. Few doctors will admit this, certainly not young ones, but subconsciously, in entering the profession, we must believe that ministering to others will heal our woundedness." - Cutting for Stone

And for a rare bit of fun....

Patient: I'm a Jehovah's Witness, I can't get a transfusion. We believe that blood should not be passed from person to person
Dr. Cox: Well I'm a doctor and we believe that without surgery a patient in your condition can suffer from a major case of deadness.
Carla: Don't worry, he will figure out another way to treat you
Dr. Cox: [laughing as he walks off] Hehehe! No he won't!

That has nothing to do with motivation. I just love that quote.

One of the main reasons I was reluctant to shoot for med school was the time it would take and how hard it would be. My mom told me:

"If you didn't put time into it and work hard for it, it probably wasn't worth getting."

One of the main reasons I was reluctant to shoot for med school was the time it would take and how hard it would be. My mom told me:

"If you didn't put time into it and work hard for it, it probably wasn't worth getting."

Yup. Several years ago when I was making this choice, my doctor/mentor friend said, "Look, in 10 years you'll be Jennet ten years older. Would you rather be Doctor Jennet or something else Jennet? It is really that simple."

Decided that I like the sound of Dr. Jennet (subbing in my real name) better.

First heard this when Dennis Green lost his job as the Vikings' head coach:

"My hand is on the plow and the best thing when your hand is on the plow is to look forward."

It has stuck with me since then. I later searched for this quote and found it is a variation of Luke 9:62.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFn47a_Ny0Y[/YOUTUBE]

Kerri Strug falls and sprains her ankle -- and then gets up and vaults again.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD-oqGceF3A&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Oscar Pistorius, a lifelong double amputee who also runs the 100meter dash.

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, chances are, it doesn't lead anywhere."

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD-oqGceF3A&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Oscar Pistorius, a lifelong double amputee who also runs the 100meter dash.

Love that his nickname is "Blade Runner".

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity." - A. Einstein

Just found this one about a week ago, thinking it needs to be in ink on my body somewhere (in a shortened form, of course):
"Without continuous personal development you are now all that you will ever become,

Eli Cohen

"Your best? Losers whine about their best. Winners go home and f*** the prom queen" sean connery

Oh man, the Rock is absolutely the motivational piece of America I need sometimes. That line is one of the most overlooked poetic beauties of the '90s, especially from THE Scot.

This quote from Calvin Coolidge, as always gets me back to the grindstone:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, 'press on' has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race."

I have this one posted on my desk at work to keep me on the right path:

There will be many obstacles on your road to success, so don't build your own.

Just found this one about a week ago, thinking it needs to be in ink on my body somewhere (in a shortened form, of course):

Eli Cohen

Heh, I actually posted that one a bit earlier in the thread. I agree it's a great one. It really really hit home with me when I read it the first time.

How on earth could you shorten it into a tattoo? :confused: I had enough trouble shortening the quote in my sig to fit on my RoadID. I went with "I hope to use everything you gave me" which is still pretty long.

Heh, I actually posted that one a bit earlier in the thread. I agree it's a great one. It really really hit home with me when I read it the first time.

How on earth could you shorten it into a tattoo? :confused: I had enough trouble shortening the quote in my sig to fit on my RoadID. I went with "I hope to use everything you gave me" which is still pretty long.

I actually spent some time thinking about that last night, and I'm thinking I would have to go with something that would make no sense to someone who read it, but would remind me every time I saw it. Would have to be more than just "Hell", that could go wrong =p "don't meet your hell" or something along those lines would work, though. I usually let ink 'stew' in the back of my mind for a year or two before I actually get it done, so I'm sure something will click.

I have this one posted on my desk at work to keep me on the right path:

There will be many obstacles on your road to success, so don't build your own.

I really like this one!

+1

I am going with one of the quotes in my signature

Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records. - William Arthur Ward

Comes handy specially during tough times.

Last edited:
I am going with one of the quotes in my signature

Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records. - William Arthur Ward

Comes handy specially during tough times.

Any more hard times quotes? I went through a rough patch just now. Would love some more.

Any more hard times quotes? I went through a rough patch just now. Would love some more.

I made an investment in myself because no one else was going to do it for me. -my own quote

If you want to be somebody else and you're tired of fighting battles with yourself. If you want to be somebody else. Change your mind. - Sister Hazel

Last edited:
This is a great thread! Here are some quotes that I personally love:

"Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be."
-Samuel Johnson

"One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."-Ida Scott Taylor

"It is only by introducing the young to great literature, drama and music, and to the excitement of great science that we open to them the possibilities that lie within the human spirit -- enable them to see visions and dream dreams."
-Eric Anderson

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
-Howard Thurman

"I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most, even our dreams."-Aunt May, Spiderman 2

Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all.
-Eduard Christoff Philippe GÈrard Renaldi (From the Princess Diaries movie for anyone that read the books or enjoyed the movie :D)

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them."
-William Shakespeare

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited:
"To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour."

― Winston Churchill

Here are a few that get me through pressing times when my weaknesses try to get the best of me.

"Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." -Rumi

"Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own truth." -Rumi

"Your brain is like a garden. What you plant in it is what will grow." -Unknown.

"Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,
But, he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn’t," but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you’ll never do that;
At least no one has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle it in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "couldn’t be done," and you’ll do it."

By Edgar Guest

Reactions: 1 user
"It isn't where you came from, it's where you're going that counts."

Ella Fitzgerald

"I'm awesome"
-me

jk, but really I do sometimes just have to tell myself that to get through stupid stuff like homework for a worthless/pointless class.

Dr Robert Kelso said:
If it's one thing I know, son, is nothing worth having in life comes easy

My dad said:
Life's hard, so deal [with it]!!

My deceased best friend said:
He who hesitates, masturbates

I've used these three quotes to get me where I am right now. Live them! Embrace them.

Even if the last one from my buddy does pertain more to getting women, it still has value if you adapt it to life in general. I post that phrase in more "relevant" terms by saying, "It rarely hurts to try"

I'm not sure who's quote this is but it pertains to medical school most definitely (once you get here)

Know your limits, then push them!

MCAT Writing Sample inspired:

"A true leader leads by example."

Source: Examkrackers, I think.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
— Arnold Schwarzenegger

Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less.
— Norman Mailer

Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn’t have it in the beginning.
— Gandhi

There are a million reasons why you can't. Focus on the few reasons why you can.
— Kara Goucher

Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.
— Dan Brown

Reactions: 1 user