Oklahoma St. vs. Kansas St.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zgoldsmith23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents, this is my first post of SDN and it has come down to decision-making time for me. I have narrowed it down to OSU in Stillwater or KSU in Manhattan. I have visited both school and both schools cost virtually the same. I have declared my major as an An Sci with Pre Vet emphasis. I liked some things about each school but am having a TERRIBLE time deciding. I guess what I am asking is: which one is the better choice in terms of looking towards getting into Vet School and having the overall better programs. Let's face it, those rankings are a croc anymore so I don't really pay attention to those.

Also, I am worried about coming from Memphis, TN to a school where I know nobody. Any future UG C/O 2014s out there?

Thanks so much guys!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ladies and gents, this is my first post of SDN and it has come down to decision-making time for me. I have narrowed it down to OSU in Stillwater or KSU in Manhattan. I have visited both school and both schools cost virtually the same. I have declared my major as an An Sci with Pre Vet emphasis. I liked some things about each school but am having a TERRIBLE time deciding. I guess what I am asking is: which one is the better choice in terms of looking towards getting into Vet School and having the overall better programs. Let's face it, those rankings are a croc anymore so I don't really pay attention to those.

Also, I am worried about coming from Memphis, TN to a school where I know nobody. Any future UG C/O 2014s out there?

Thanks so much guys!! :)

There is an exact thread on this somewhere a little ways down, for the stillwater vs manhattan lifestyle of things, which might help.

I don't think one or the other is better in terms of getting into vet school. If you can become an official state resident at one, that might increase your odds, but I don't even know if thats possible as a student, when it comes to vet schools. you'd have to talk to the schools themselves.

Thanks cowgirla! I understand what you mean and am checking that thread out now. My parets plan to buy me an apartment and I will declare residency in either OK or KS while they, in TN, allow me to apply to UT Knox's Vet School as an instater too.

I really like both and they seemed so similar to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks cowgirla! I understand what you mean and am checking that thread out now. My parets plan to buy me an apartment and I will declare residency in either OK or KS while they, in TN, allow me to apply to UT Knox's Vet School as an instater too.

I really like both and they seemed so similar to me.

Declaring residency may not allow you to be a resident on vet school terms though. Most of them require that you live and work, without attending school, for at least 12 months prior to admission. So even if you switch your license, registration, voting, etc, you might still not be an IS resident when you apply to vet school. You could try contacting the vet schools themselves and talk to someone there regarding residency.
Also, under 24, I don't think you can be a resident of somewhere other than where your parents are without a heck of a lot of proof. It's not quite as simple as just changing a few pieces of paper...you'll have to prove you are independent, have a source of income that will cover your bills, and not receiving any money from outside the state and things like that.

ETA: Personally, I agree that KSU and OSU are very similar. I liked both towns, and would be happy in either. I'll be in Stillwater next year though, since OSU liked me more than KSU apparently. Plus the OSU vet school is significantly cheaper than KSU's

I've heard KSU has a fairly well-respected School of Agriculture but does OSU have a good Ag school? I know for one thing, OSU has more majors (in terms of Sciences and Ag) that I like. OSU gave me more money ($1k more).

BTW, I have to make a decision tonight :p

I've heard KSU has a fairly well-respected School of Agriculture but does OSU have a good Ag school? I know for one thing, OSU has more majors (in terms of Sciences and Ag) that I like. OSU gave me more money ($1k more).

BTW, I have to make a decision tonight :p

Cant help you there, I've never set foot in either state before two months ago.
I think any school with a vet school will have a strong ag/ansci program.

I do have two people from my city going to OSU (one is a really good friend of mine [planned roomies :) ]) . Nobody is going to KSU lol. I also have family in Oklahoma; only an hour and a half from Stillwater.

It would be nice to have a roommate planned and to know people where you are going! family esp. in case you have an emergency or something.

I can't tell you much about undergrad, because I went to undergrad at U. of OK, but I know a lot of people love the school. However, I'm sure you will like either one

but yeah I agree cowgirla, you might want to double check you can even get residency if your parents don't live here. you might have to get married or declare yourself independent or whatnot.

It would be nice to have a roommate planned and to know people where you are going! family esp. in case you have an emergency or something.

I can't tell you much about undergrad, because I went to undergrad at U. of OK, but I know a lot of people love the school. However, I'm sure you will like either one

but yeah I agree cowgirla, you might want to double check you can even get residency if your parents don't live here. you might have to get married or declare yourself independent or whatnot.

I planned to declare myself independent. I talked to someone from TN's beauracracy and they told me that I can withdraw my independent status from OK if I decide to go to UTK Vet School and, because I will be unde 24, still decalre residency with my parents and thus in the state of TN. Then again, I just talked to one of "helpers" so she COULD have been making it up as she goes haha.

well in that case...

do you like football? because here in Oklahoma, you get good football lol

and I know a few UG OSU people who are pre-vet and one is interning in the hospital and just loves it there.

and I -want- (no facts here) say it might be easier to get in to OSU vs. Kansas as an IS since the OSU class is more heavily weighted to IS. However, KSU has a bigger class, so...

Maybe go to both websites and see how many IS that apply vs. how many they accept?

but if you are just worrying about which AnSci program is better, I'm afraid I can't help you too much there :shrug:

Of course I love football and basketball for that matter. I'm "rootin'" my team on no matter where I go and how bad they are. It's just who I am.

I don't really mind IS. I mean, it's a state university so of course IS are going to be very high. At what I have been looking at, it's about 80 - 90% IS for both. If one has a few percent over the other, it's not going to be that noticeable IMHO. (Re-Edit)

I've been attending OSU for the last six years... lol. We have an excellent ag/ansci program, though I can't speak personally about it since I'm a zoology major.

To get in state status, you have to work full time for a year, plus the other usual things like changing your license over. You also have to file independent of anyone living outside of Oklahoma. So, if the parents are in Kansas (or wherever) they can NOT claim you on their taxes.

You can go to school as many hours as you like, but you must work full time.

I've been attending OSU for the last six years... lol. We have an excellent ag/ansci program, though I can't speak personally about it since I'm a zoology major.

To get in state status, you have to work full time for a year, plus the other usual things like changing your license over. You also have to file independent of anyone living outside of Oklahoma. So, if the parents are in Kansas (or wherever) they can NOT claim you on their taxes.

You can go to school as many hours as you like, but you must work full time.

Thanks twelve! And once again, one of the peons of the government doesn't really know what she is talking about.

Is it me or are there a heavy bias towards OSU on here? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea about the TN thing, I just know what OK wants because I have a friend who was an AR resident and went through the process. It was delayed a year because of the taxes thing, too. She got it sorted out though (and now she's moving to Hawaii lol).

You know, last year I was like one of three OkSU** people on here, but a lot of people have joined SDN that were accepted for the class of 2014, so now it's more evenly represented, which is nice. There are Kansas folks on here too.

**OSU = Ohio State, generally. Also, there's Oregon State. So I generally call it OKSU or OKState. Don't get me started on Ohio (a.k.a. THE OSU) and their sense of self entitlement, haha.

I have no idea about the TN thing, I just know what OK wants because I have a friend who was an AR resident and went through the process. It was delayed a year because of the taxes thing, too. She got it sorted out though (and now she's moving to Hawaii lol).

You know, last year I was like one of three OkSU** people on here, but a lot of people have joined SDN that were accepted for the class of 2014, so now it's more evenly represented, which is nice. There are Kansas folks on here too.

**OSU = Ohio State, generally. Also, there's Oregon State. So I generally call it OKSU or OKState. Don't get me started on Ohio (a.k.a. THE OSU) and their sense of self entitlement, haha.

I'm sure a lot of us could rant on THE Ohio State University but that's later.

OkSt has the town I like a little more (I am a Target guy over a WalMart guy but whatever I guess!). My main concern about OkSt all along was that I would be sacrificing an education to go to a town that I liked more and to be with a familiar face and I just can't get off this idea. :(

Of course I love football and basketball for that matter. I'm "rootin'" my team on no matter where I go and how bad they are. It's just who I am.

I don't really mind IS. I mean, it's a state university so of course IS are going to be very high. At what I have been looking at, it's about 80 - 90% IS for both. If one has a few percent over the other, it's not going to be that noticeable IMHO. (Re-Edit)

For Vet school, OkSU has for sure a significantly higher IS percent for the class than KSU. KSU generally runs about 50 IS and 60 OOS, whereas OkSU is about 60 IS and 20 OOS. Not exact numbers but just to give you an idea of the distributions.

How does KSU have so many OOS?? Do they have a lot of agreements with states without VS?

Not that you can absolutely count on getting in as an IS person... not that I would know ANYTHING about that. :smuggrin:

I don't see how going to OK could ever be considered 'sacrificing your education'... just what are you implying? I'm sure KSU and OSU both have great programs. Picking based on where you want to live isn't a crime as long as you consider other factors too.

We have a Best Buy now (soon) and a Target is a *possibility* if the census goes as expected, since we were able to include the college student population in the dorms and apartments this year. That's like, 30,000 people or something? Quite a difference in the town's official population, and fair since they are all here for 9 months out of the year. So, my fingers are crossed too - a Target would be awesome. And some decent Italian food, too...

I don't know how I really got the idea that going to OkSt would be "sacrifycing my education." On my visit, I met with a counselor that dealt with people in Zoology and she was completely clueless. That may have had something to do with it. I never met with anyone in the Ag department whereas at KSU I met with an An Sci teacher and Biochem teacher who were both great.

Is it true that OkSt has a lot of hands on research and has smaller classes (how small of classes)?

I think KSU has Nebraska??

but yeah I think KSU just wants all the OOS money lol. when I went to Interview they were like "when you get accepted as OOS, then you are OOS the full 4 years. we count on that money!"

but yeah OkSU (ugh I just like saying OSU) and all Oklahoma universities (I'm so obsessed with my school lol) have a great education. no sacrifices in that area!

Lemme ask something completely off the subject of academics: Does OkSt have a dominating party/frat scene? Cause I don't drink but I don't want to be the odd man out, if that makes sense?

Thanks again guys!

OKSU's class size is about 78 students, and I think it goes up to 82ish after the first year (not sure why, but they usually accept a few transfers from places like Ross).

Oh, if you meant UNDERGRAD class size (lol) then that's going to vary a LOT. Total enrolled undergrad students is like, 45,000? But we have a lot of areas of study and a pretty big campus - we're one of the "Big 12" and all that.

I dunno who you spoke to in Zoology, lol. My adviser is epic awesome, and there's only one Zool adviser, so I dunno who *you* met. Don't let your opinion of them color your opinion of the university, though - that would be a shame.

There is plenty of Greek life here, but it's easy to avoid. Don't join, and go to the bars, and there you go, not the odd man out. They have their own parties.

ETA: I bet you can find research related to just about anything you're interested in - aeronautics, engineering, medicine, biochem, micobiology, ecology, botany, animal science... agriculture... hell, you could be an ag engineer and invent awesome new farm equipment if you want to. :hungover:

OKSU's class size is about 78 students, and I think it goes up to 82ish after the first year (not sure why, but they usually accept a few transfers from places like Ross).

Oh, if you meant UNDERGRAD class size (lol) then that's going to vary a LOT. Total enrolled undergrad students is like, 45,000? But we have a lot of areas of study and a pretty big campus - we're one of the "Big 12" and all that.

I dunno who you spoke to in Zoology, lol. My adviser is epic awesome, and there's only one Zool adviser, so I dunno who *you* met. Don't let your opinion of them color your opinion of the university, though - that would be a shame.

There is plenty of Greek life here, but it's easy to avoid. Don't join, and go to the bars, and there you go, not the odd man out. They have their own parties.

I don't remember who I spoke to.

I know fraternities are big no matter where you go to college but KSU seemed like fraternities dang near ran the place and that's defintetely something I would like to avoid.

Eh well. We have lots of excellent professors, advisers, and staff members - I can absolutely vouch for that.

The Greek kids have their own stuff, but they don't run much of anything. Boone Pickens runs this joint! Bahahaha.

Eh well. We have lots of excellent professors, advisers, and staff members - I can absolutely vouch for that.

The Greek kids have their own stuff, but they don't run much of anything. Boone Pickens runs this joint! Bahahaha.

Haha is this the same Boone Pickens that has the stadium? ;) :laugh:

OSU is closer to home plus I only have to hop on the Tulsa shuttle to get to the airport (I fly free cause Dad works for the airline!!) and OKC is about the same distance.

He's given us so much money it's not even funny. At least he's given some to other sections of the university, and not just athletics. None to the vet school, though... can of worms there... ya know.

It's a BIG stadium too, granted I don't have much to compare it with.

So it sounds like OKSU has some definite merits for you. If you're unsure, why don't you come visit again? Talk to some more people... take a tour of the vet school... that sort of thing.

My parents are still up ... BARELY ... and want my decision tonight.

I have to let the colleges know whether I will be attending or not by May 1st. I have passed about 4 deadlines they gave me.

Make a decision. tell your parents. go to sleep. if you wake up and just don't feel happy about your decision, then you know you chose the wrong place. and then you'll still have time to change your mind.

I had a huge decision between Mizzou and OkSt. and after a week of deliberating, I told everyone my decision. and I still felt happy about it after I told people. so I knew it was right.

One time I had to choose between two boys I was dating and both wanted to be official (this is embarrassing but relevant lol). I chose Boy 2, told my roommates but didn't tell the two boys, but the next day woke up sad and miserable. so I changed my mind and I've been dating Boy 1 for a year and a half now! sometimes you just gotta rely on the gut

Edit: oh and maybe you should see if you look better in purple or in orange :)

Last edited:
Make a decision. tell your parents. go to sleep. if you wake up and just don't feel happy about your decision, then you know you chose the wrong place. and then you'll still have time to change your mind.

I had a huge decision between Mizzou and OkSt. and after a week of deliberating, I told everyone my decision. and I still felt happy about it after I told people. so I knew it was right.

One time I had to choose between two boys I was dating and both wanted to be official (this is embarrassing but relevant lol). I chose Boy 2, told my roommates but didn't tell the two boys, but the next day woke up sad and miserable. so I changed my mind and I've been dating Boy 1 for a year and a half now! sometimes you just gotta rely on the gut

Edit: oh and maybe you should see if you look better in purple or in orange :)

Oh wow, that sounds like the best way to make a decision. I'm going to have to do that the next time I have to make a big decision. Luckily for me, this time I did feel good afterwards about choosing OkSU.
Although, I have to say I'd look better in purple than orange. :laugh:

Boone Pickens was Greek! He was an SAE. :laugh:

To defend the Greek students, there are plenty of guys in fraternities that don't go drinking every night and whatever, you just never hear about them. There are some GDIs that do go drinking every night (I know A LOT of them :). You just have to find where you fit in. I joined a sorority (gasp) not for the partying but for the philanthropy. I have also met some awesome people in my sorority and out. In the end, I'm glad I did it.

OSU and KSU are both Land Grant Universities. In fact, OSU used to be Oklahoma A&M. I know people in the Ag program and they LOVE it. I'm a Zoology student so what do I know though!

As all of you know I'm sure, it takes a lot to get into vet school and it's oh going to get harder. It takes more than just academics to get in. I have to get involved around campus and I'm worried that at KSU I won't because I won't know anybody so I'll be scared and unmotivated (I'm VERY nervous being around people I don't know) and I can't afford to not get involved. I don't want to become one of those kids who stays in their dorm 24/7. At OSU I know at least someone and will feel so much better even if it is ONE person. Does that make sense? I'm going to be nervous no matter where I go as my life is drastically changing but I'm more nervous about KSU. :-(

As all of you know I'm sure, it takes a lot to get into vet school and it's oh going to get harder. It takes more than just academics to get in. I have to get involved around campus and I'm worried that at KSU I won't because I won't know anybody so I'll be scared and unmotivated (I'm VERY nervous being around people I don't know) and I can't afford to not get involved. I don't want to become one of those kids who stays in their dorm 24/7. At OSU I know at least someone and will feel so much better even if it is ONE person. Does that make sense? I'm going to be nervous no matter where I go as my life is drastically changing but I'm more nervous about KSU. :-(

So, go to OSU. Either way, you'll get a great education.
And for what it's worth, I didn't do a single campus extra-curricular during my undergrad years, or do a single sport, or join a single club.

No, they just accept a lot of OOS students. Maybe there's fewer Kansas residents that are interested in the program?

Vet schools get most of their $ from OOS students...

Does KSU even have any contract seats?

OT, and I don't have anything else useful to say that hasn't been said already, so go to where you feel the most comfortable---but KSU has contract seats with New Mexico and North Dakota. Nebraska's contract is with Iowa. K-state loves filling up OOS seats because OOS tuition is quite high and you can't get residency while in school.

that's half the reason I went to OSU... because I knew I'd know a few people. and it's nice to just have that one person as a 'base' to branch off of. it's kinda like when you want to go to a party where you don't know anyone... you always invite a friend with you

at least I do. because I think I am generally outgoing but if I'm thrown into a room full of new people I sometimes revert back to my old, super-shy self

ANYWAY, like I said earlier... at least knowing one person might be a good enough reason for me. especially if everything else is pretty much equal

LOL nice boyfriend example, that70sfan. Got the fellas lining up for you, huh? :hungover:

Zgoldsmith.... good luck! Let us know what you decide.

haha that was a special occasion. I didn't even have a boyfriend till I graduated high school! lol I had to ask my own dates to prom.

so don't worry everyone I'm not that cool! :cool:

Alright so I just talked to my friend and he is still going there but he's doing Honors College dorms now. We won't be rooming together, so I guess I'm in the same boat at either school now. Dang.

Dude, take it from one with experience: don't live with someone you know. Just don't. Unless you've lived with them before under similar conditions. Doing the whole random roommate thing is scary, but it's not that bad! I'm best friends with my roomie from year one - she was talking about how I have to be her matron of honor (if the guy ever gets around to proposing, lol).

Also, I lovvveeed living in Stout Hall. I didn't end up completing an honors degree, but I really enjoyed living there anyway. :)

Try for Stout or a suite, avoid Kerr and Wentz. You'll be fine. Go out on your own! Live a little!

Alright so I just talked to my friend and he is still going there but he's doing Honors College dorms now. We won't be rooming together, so I guess I'm in the same boat at either school now. Dang.

At OSU, you could apply to live in the College of Ag. (CASNR) dorm in Village A. I was in the College of Ag Freshman in Transition Program (CASNR FIT) my freshman year and it was great! Unfortunately the deadline for applicants to the FIT rooms has already passed, but its only the 3rd and 4th floor of the CASNR building, so you could live in the first two floors and still get to know a ton of freshmen with similar majors. Plus the dorms are fairly new (built in 2006) and you can have a private room and bathroom.

I'm a graduating senior who double majored in Animal Science Pre-Vet and Biochemistry Pre-Vet, so if you have any questions about OSU and choosing a major, feel free to PM me!