Tuskegee vs Oklahoma vs Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaneta Ogunmola

Reaction score
Really stuck deciding between these 3 schools and would love to hear anyone’s thoughts or personal experiences. I am scheduled to visit Oklahoma and Arizona and I’m in the process of scheduling a visit with Tuskegee

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should pick Tuskegee. It’s like 60k cheaper than the other two options, and that’s before factoring in interest. Plus in your several other posts asking for input you’ve mentioned really valuing diversity and Tuskegee is definitely going to be the strongest in that regard as an HBCU. Your education will be fine at any of them so set yourself up for success and go to the cheapest option.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should pick Tuskegee. It’s like 60k cheaper than the other two options, and that’s before factoring in interest. Plus in your several other posts asking for input you’ve mentioned really valuing diversity and Tuskegee is definitely going to be the strongest in that regard as an HBCU. Your education will be fine at any of them so set yourself up for success and go to the cheapest option.
True, the only thing I really worry about is their NAVLE scores for the past 3 years have been under 80 and the 2023 score was a 57. It does make me a little nervous to attend. Obviously I know Covid had a immense impact in scores dropping but that’s a bit drastic

Oh, that is really low. Have you talked to the school and shared your concern and asked what, if any, things they’re putting in place to improve scores? Continuously low scores means they risk their accreditation so it’s something they should be taking seriously.

I think ultimately this is gonna come down to what you really want, need, and value in a school and it’s probably not something we on SDN can help you make a decision on. I’m a straight white cisgender female, so I wouldn’t even pretend to know how strongly you need to emphasize having racial diversity in your peers and educators. I went to Oklahoma state from 2011-2015 and enjoyed my time at the school, but there’s very little racial diversity at the vet school. Nearly everyone is white. We had some pre-clinical professors and TAs from India and other Asian countries and I think they have a couple Brazilian clinicians now. I feel like everyone at the vet school are welcoming and friendly, but my class had two students of Asian heritage (so like 97% Caucasian students) and I can only think of only two African American students in the entire school during my time there, one in the class below me and one who was a Ross student who joined the class above me for clinics. They seemed happy and fit in just fine with their classes, but I would never presume to know what their experience was truly like.