Washington St vs Oregon St vs Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CommanderShepherd

Reaction score
Been accepted to all three of the aforementioned schools. Financials are important (would be classified as IS for WSU for the record) but was hoping to get more insight on other factors. Preliminary interests are primarily equine or small ruminants. Large animal internal medicine or surgery for specialization potentially. Will be age 25 by this fall. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Arizona and Oregon are very expensive! Arizona I would remove immediately due to expense, issues with their NAVLE pass rate (70ish percent), and not having a teaching hospital.

One of the biggest factors that will determine your ability to specialize or work in large animal or equine is your financial standing upon graduation. I have worked with many small animal emergency vets that originally had other plans until they realized how many sacrifices they had to make with their lifestyle in order to continue on the specialization or LA or equine path.

Reactions: 1 users
IS at WSU? No brainer! That will save you SO much- unless you have some super special way to pay for school, WSU will be the best! OSU and UAZ allow IS residency but will still be more expensive overall, and farther from family

Reactions: 1 users
Agree that IS at WSU is your best option. I'd confirm directly with Oregon and Arizona regarding their IS/OOS tuition policies. Even if you get IS for all years, WSU is cheaper.