Good reads/resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I picked up the ICU book by Marino, its a really great read and very informative. Highly recommend it. Any other resources or good books I should know of that are of similar structure? What do people use during intern year when they need to look something up and want a solid, thorough explanation.

Members don't see this ad.

I can be somewhat more specific: starting IM residency and debating between Pocket Medicine (MGH) and Tarascon's I.M and CCU pocketbook. Which one's better in terms of reading up on patient management and in terms of pimping (if someone's going to an academic place)?

Thanx!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can be somewhat more specific: starting IM residency and debating between Pocket Medicine (MGH) and Tarascon's I.M and CCU pocketbook. Which one's better in terms of reading up on patient management and in terms of pimping (if someone's going to an academic place)?

Thanx!!

Pocket Medicine is amazing, and now available for smart phones through Skyscape. What's great for academic institutions is that PM lists references for much of the data it provides. I don't have any experience with the other.

So I picked up the ICU book by Marino, its a really great read and very informative. Highly recommend it. Any other resources or good books I should know of that are of similar structure? What do people use during intern year when they need to look something up and want a solid, thorough explanation.

So solid, thorough explanation probably means "enough information that I sound intelligent, but not too much." As a reference book to look up stuff at home, I recommend Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment. Some of the LONGER topics are 4 pages, most are about a page. Its a textbook, which can be brutal, but allows you to look up stuff from the day. The example I like to use is Hep C. PocketMedicine says "Interferon and Ribivarin x 48 weeks." CMDT says "depends on genotype 1-4, watch for psych symptoms, dropping platelets, and hepatitis.... treatment sucks!"

For a bAWLer pocket reference, Pocket Medicine hands down. I personally like paper in my hand, and, while the smartphones can carry full textbooks in them, thumbing through some pages is usually easier, and faster, for me. You can then go back to CMDT for a fuller explanation on things not present in pocket medicine.

P.S. Get the red one. The new green one has too much stuff; its "more correct" but brutal to interpert. Plus the shiny pages and GREEN text is painful...

Thank you both so much for the great input!!