Resources for Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody -

Does anyone have any recommendations for resources to help with the transition from M4 to intern year? I was hoping to study for an hour (or less) every day from now until June so that I'm not totally lost come July 1st.

Any thoughts on Step Up to Medicine or the new Online Med Ed: Case X series? What about just starting UWorld Step 3 questions? I have had a pretty relaxed fourth year, so I feel beyond rusty.

Thanks!

-Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know that I would recommend anything beyond if you're able to knock out Step 3 before intern year. Just my 2 cents.

It would really be nice to know what resources to use to use for PGY-1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it would depend on what field you are in. But for medicine, I would strongly recommend The ICU Book by Paul Marino. An easy to read primer for critical care and Fundamentals of Critical Care. If anything on the floors you should be prepared for someone crashing and be prepared on how to assess, triage and handle them.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it would depend on what field you are in. But for medicine, I would strongly recommend The ICU Book by Paul Marino. An easy to read primer for critical care and Fundamentals of Critical Care. If anything on the floors you should be prepared for someone crashing and be prepared on how to assess, triage and handle them.

As an intern don’t u just call senior

I second this, great book. I read the little ICU book. Other than that, I didn't pre-read that much. For people coming after you, a "hard" 4th year is the best way to prepare for intern year (mixing medical ICU/cardiac ICU with IM electives). Now that we are past this stage, any type of reading is eventually going to help. I sparingly read Harrisons but it is overkill, and I did mostly on the job training/reading. Going back, I would probably buy a review book (Mayo clinic internal medicine board review book or the equivalent) to brush up on other topics. I would definitely get the Pocket Medicine handbook from mass general. Great little book.