2011-2012 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on chances on interviews/acceptances at UCSD for someone who grew up in CA/is living here for his gap year but went to a private undergrad out-of-state?

Members don't see this ad :)
or on someone who's completely out of state but wants so so so badly to go to a cali state school!! i've legit hear that stanford might be more feasible

I think that state residency is a factor because they make you fill out this two page residency questionnaire on interview day. I lived in DC during this past year, but I kept my Ca driver's license and all of resident stuff linked to my parents house in the bay area for this reason. That being said, on second look admit day for UCSD, there were a dozen or so folks from out of state that had never even been to Cali before interviewing and a dozen or so folks that were from Ca and went to undgrad or grad school OOS. I should note that most of the OOS admits were coming in with an advanced degree like a PhD, MS, or MPH. Clearly though, the vast majority of admits were from Cal, UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, and USC.

anyone heard that they like people who have had significant medical experiences/research in their OOS applicants? i really like this school but have no ties to cali. i'm nontrad but dont' have an extra degree :(

do you know if they screen before their secondaries? i could send in my primary and see if i get a secondary, but i dont want to be paying for all these things if they're just playing with my heart... :p

anyone heard that they like people who have had significant medical experiences/research in their OOS applicants? i really like this school but have no ties to cali. i'm nontrad but dont' have an extra degree :(

UCSD does place a huge weight on research experience because it is a very significant research school. Research is built into the curriculum, and is expected from the med school students. As a result, they want to admit applicants that are interested in this side of medicine.

Also, they definitely do screen applications pre-secondary. I know this because a number of people I know were rejected pre-secondary. This is a good thing though because UCSD's secondary is notoriously awful to complete.

UCSD does place a huge weight on research experience because it is a very significant research school. Research is built into the curriculum, and is expected from the med school students. As a result, they want to admit applicants that are interested in this side of medicine.

Also, they definitely do screen applications pre-secondary. I know this because a number of people I know were rejected pre-secondary. This is a good thing though because UCSD's secondary is notoriously awful to complete.

I'm California born and raised, but then went to a private school out of state for undergrad, then came back for a year before applying. I got in :) And, I know there are several others in my class who come from similar situations.

As for research, like most med schools, it is looked upon favorably. But, don't get freaked out if you feel like research isn't your strong suit. Going to a small liberal arts school, I certainly didn't come from the strongest research background. I also made no qualms in the interview process about the fact that I don't love research and wouldn't mind never having to do it again. A good chunk of my classmates are of the same persuasion :)

The "research built into the curriculum" above is, I assume, referencing the Independent Study Project. The ISP can be about anything medicine related. Literally anything. Lots of people do do bench research, some do clinical research. A bunch of my classmates are doing a project through our free clinics, so are doing community outreach. I'm doing a project in patient education (no research!). The possibilities are endless. It's just an awesome opportunity to find something that really excites you and delve into it deeply. A lot of my classmates do research because they are interested in it. But, the administration is all about diversity within the class. I've never felt like it was expected of me. Bottom line: if research is your thing, make sure the school knows about it. If it's not, that's okay--it won't change their love for you!

Hey guys!!!

Stoked for UCSD! So I want to pre-write the secondary. I'm done with the autobio because I am a reapplicant and life before college didn't really change much since last yr... but does anyone remember the exact prompt for your experiences??? was it your most meaningful? or does it want you to specify why it prepared you for a career in medicine? or something else? I forget the exact wording and character count so if anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Also, there was something about what type of medicine you wanted to practice... private, academic, blah blah... and you had to write something for that correct???? anyone have that saved as well???

Ok, I'm off to go surfing at La Jolla Shores!!! :D

I will try to do my part by reposting the autobio prompt from LAST YEAR...

.2. AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH...
.This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years. You should focus on major life experiences and influences up to your entry into college. We will ask about major experiences in your undergraduate years and beyond in subsequent sections. Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD..
.You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context... A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable..
.Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 4800 characters. ..Type your essay below.

I just got a "we have received your application" email. Teases.

I just got a "we have received your application" email. Teases.

same....

6-8 weeks?? at least they will screen and let me know if I am worthy for a secondary

I doubt it will take that long for those of us that have already been emailed.

I am guessing we'll receive the secondary in the first week of July :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting email.... why would we have to complete this if they might reject our primary...? :xf:

Dear Entadus:

You should have recently received an e-mail from us informing you that we’ve received your verified primary application from AMCAS.

We are still in the process of reviewing files, but to help expedite our process, we ask that applicants complete the UCSD “Single Sign-On” authentication to establish a password and gain access to UCSD campus systems that we use in the admissions process. Please visit the UCSD Single Sign-On initial sign-in page at https://www-act.ucsd.edu/manage-sso/applicant to activate your UCSD campus account.

To begin the process, you will need the following information:

1. AMCAS ID (referred to as Application ID),
2. your email address used on your original AMCAS application
3. City of Birth
4. Date of Birth

Once you have completed the authentication process, the system will issue you a “PID” number and require you create a password. Please write down or memorize your PID and remember your password.

Please note: If you are a current UCSD undergraduate student, you do not have to complete the Single Sign On authentication process. You should already have a UCSD PID/password.

Should you have questions or encounter any problems with the authentication process, please contact us at [email protected] or 858-534-1515

Best wishes!

Sincerely,

Admissions Office
UCSD School of Medicine

Has anyone else completed the Single Sign On authentication? After I enter a password, it takes me to a mostly blank page, so I'm not sure if it's saved my password or not.

whoop secondary app email!

Seriously?!?!?! is this a joke. I've nowhere near completed my pre-written secondary! :scared:

**EDIT: I find your claim suspicious considering the applicant stats check isn't even set for 2012 yet...

Me too! But when I log into my status page, there's no date listed for "secondary application requested," and as far as I can tell there's no secondary application to access. Anybody else having this problem?

Me too! But when I log into my status page, there's no date listed for "secondary application requested," and as far as I can tell there's no secondary application to access. Anybody else having this problem?

Same for me. Maybe they sent out the emails before they finished putting up the application?

Jellu.jpg

you jelly? Im not a cali resident but I am a MD phd applicant so im stoked

Jellu.jpg

you jelly? Im not a cali resident but I am a MD phd applicant so im stoked

aaaahhhh the good old md phd applicant, forgot about your kind. Thanks for the quick reply. guess I still got some time.

and congrats and good luck

**ya it looks like the status check is up for '12, they are making you sign into the single sign on first, different from last yr

aaaahhhh the good old md phd applicant, forgot about your kind. Thanks for the quick reply. guess I still got some time.

and congrats and good luck
Thanks. Since they havent uploaded the secondary theres still plenty of time. Time to write an autobiography!

Has anyone else completed the Single Sign On authentication? After I enter a password, it takes me to a mostly blank page, so I'm not sure if it's saved my password or not.

Nevermind about that; it works now. I also got the email about the secondary request, but nothing else has shown up yet.

I also received the email but I cannot access the secondary. I am sure they are working on it and will be getting to us soon.

Has anyone who's received a secondary invite not applying for and MD/PHD, but instead applying for an MD only?

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited:
Has anyone who's received a secondary invite not applying for and MD/PHD, but instead applying for an MD only?

Also, is anyone having trouble logging into the student portal with their U/N and password?

Cheers,
Sam

Received secondary, MD only applicant. Can log in to secondary page but nothing there to do. Assuming it will be fixed soon.

Commence SDN freakout :corny::corny::corny:

I am MD only applicant.

got the invite for secondaries but..........
when i visit the status page theres nothing............
anyone else having the same problem? :scared:

Received secondary, MD only applicant. Can log in to secondary page but nothing there to do. Assuming it will be fixed soon.

I'm already freaking out.
Gosh darn it. What a downer.

WHEW~
i was scared thinking they made a mistake or something
"oops sorry, accidently sent you a false secondary and gave you false hope" :laugh:

WHEW~
i was scared thinking they made a mistake or something
"oops sorry, accidently sent you a false secondary and gave you false hope" :laugh:

Me too, but I am thankful for SDN, it calms people down sometimes :)

BTW, I am MD only applicant for whoever asked about the MD/PhD only applicants!

this is srs business guys.

My bet is itll be online tomorrow after 8 or so.

I can't believe this, did I really get screened in for a secondary at UCSD?

My numbers are not even close to their averages, maybe they look at some of the application too?

Maybe. Im not a Cali resident and my numbers are no where near as strong. but hey ill take it and make the best damn secondary ever.

Maybe. Im not a Cali resident and my numbers are no where near as strong. but hey ill take it and make the best damn secondary ever.

lol watch, it ends up being an auto secondary...

lol watch, it ends up being an auto secondary...
I'll take whatever to keep me busy while i wait for my interview dates.

just a note: From the thread last year and the website, it looks like they send secondaries on 3 cases. one first round. then second round in janurary. then third is never. It looks like they send 32% of the applicants and interview 32% of the secondaries ? Check last years threads to see the shenanigans

I'm going on a july 4th vacation this weekend.... :( wish they sent this out a little after.

Do they send that single-sign on email to everyone that applies?
Why would they tease me with creating an account if only to be denied a secondary later?
Poop. :(

Do they send that single-sign on email to everyone that applies?
Why would they tease me with creating an account if only to be denied a secondary later?
Poop. :(

yea it seems like they do, they just sent out the secondary invites too.

I'm confused...so I made an account and received the secondary invite email, but when I login the only thing I can do is log back out!

Is this the same for everyone who received the secondary invite?

I'm confused...so I made an account and received the secondary invite email, but when I login the only thing I can do is log back out!

Is this the same for everyone who received the secondary invite?

I also received an email saying they wanted a secondary, but did not get a link after I log in. I emailed them about it.

Check again, my form just got posted when you login.

Anyone know how they screen this year??

Status
Not open for further replies.