2011-2012 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How fast are people here getting financial aid estimates? I turned my financial aid forms in three weeks ago and emailed them two weeks ago about an estimate but haven't heard anything yet. They're probably pretty busy so I don't want to call and bother them needlessly

Members don't see this ad.

How fast are people here getting financial aid estimates? I turned my financial aid forms in three weeks ago and emailed them two weeks ago about an estimate but haven't heard anything yet. They're probably pretty busy so I don't want to call and bother them needlessly
It took a little over two weeks for me.

did those on the waitlist receive an email yesterday:

"I am writing to you to determine whether or not you still have an interest in attending the UCSD School of Medicine.

Note that this e-mail is NOT an offer of acceptance, but rather an informal poll to assist us in narrowing down our pool of qualified candidates that were placed on our "waiting list" after the interview. Previous years have taught us that many of you are holding acceptances from other schools and would turn down an offer from UCSD. Your response to this e-mail will save us time when we do extend more offers in the coming weeks by eliminating those of you who are no longer considering UCSD. "

Members don't see this ad :)
did those on the waitlist receive an email yesterday:

"I am writing to you to determine whether or not you still have an interest in attending the UCSD School of Medicine.

Note that this e-mail is NOT an offer of acceptance, but rather an informal poll to assist us in narrowing down our pool of qualified candidates that were placed on our “waiting list” after the interview. Previous years have taught us that many of you are holding acceptances from other schools and would turn down an offer from UCSD. Your response to this e-mail will save us time when we do extend more offers in the coming weeks by eliminating those of you who are no longer considering UCSD. "

yup, pretty sure everyone on the waitlist got it.

Has anyone received an offer from the waiting list yet? I keep checking my email.

Has anyone received an offer from the waiting list yet? I keep checking my email.

Probably won't start happening until May 15th, maybe even end of May.

Ahh waitlist anxiety season begins!

jk guys good luck to all

Anyone have any new info about where they are in the process? Have they started offering spots off the waitlist?

I haven't heard anything since that email asking us if we still wanted to be on the waitlist....any day now I hope....

Just withdrew. UCSD is a wonderful school - I hope whoever takes my spot has an amazing four years!

Hi Skysongx. Where did you choose to go? Just curious.

Crickets...

I'm guessing no one has heard anything?

Crickets...

I'm guessing no one has heard anything?
I certainly haven't heard anything, and I've been on the waitlist since November! Does anyone know if we can send letters of update or interest or anything like that? I know the email from Brian Zeglen (asking if we wanted to remain on the waitlist) mentioned that we should not send anything. Has anybody heard/done differently?

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly haven't heard anything, and I've been on the waitlist since November! Does anyone know if we can send letters of update or interest or anything like that? I know the email from Brian Zeglen (asking if we wanted to remain on the waitlist) mentioned that we should not send anything. Has anybody heard/done differently?

Actually I emailed my interviewer and Brian about two months ago and recieved a reply that contained this statement: "Simply responding to this email saying “Yes, I’m still interested” and updating us on your activities as that time is as good as any “letter of interest” or “you are my top choice” communications from you." He said to save up my updates and send them all at once when we got the "are you still interested" email. I debated for a while because the instructions seemed conflicting, but ended up sending a very brief update.

I called the admissions office this morning. They said they have not started notifying people yet but will probably start early next week.

I called the admissions office this morning. They said they have not started notifying people yet but will probably start early next week.

Thanks for doing that...did they give you any idea about how many spots they are expectig to offer or how many have opened up, etc?

Hopefully we all hear some good news soon.

Thanks for doing that...did they give you any idea about how many spots they are expectig to offer or how many have opened up, etc?

Hopefully we all hear some good news soon.

Nope. Didn't ask. Anybody else feel like calling and asking?

I called Brian today and he said there were very few seats available, that UCSD does not sit on open seats and that they have already made offers so they are waiting to hear back and go from there....

I called Brian today and he said there were very few seats available, that UCSD does not sit on open seats and that they have already made offers so they are waiting to hear back and go from there....

These two statements seem to be somewhat conflicting. Does anybody have any info that might explain this discrepancy?

I agree those do seem conflicting. So which is it? Sending acceptances or not!?! :confused:

Well, today I was told the class is currently full. I always thought UCSD had decent waitlist movement? Maybe they have but people aren't posting? Very painful...

I hope so! btw, who told you the class is full?

I'm setting into motion my contingency plan. I just accepted a job offer at a hospital and I reopened AMCAS. The good news is it's a lot easier the second time, most of your info is saved lol

The admissions office. But they also told other people that there would be movement this week. So I don't know what to believe anymore. Any other lurkers or students who know something wanna help us out or chime in?

There will still be waitlist movement over the next few weeks/months. Although the class is currently full, there will be movement just like any other school because students will take up offers elsewhere. Spoke with them in person today. There's still a chance, so keep your hopes up.

I talked to Brian a couple of times this past week. He said:

1. They don't sit on empty spots so they offer them as people drop. They've already made some offers, but not many. Most offers will be made by the end of June.

2. They start making cuts to the waitlist to trim it down. So what is about 250 now will drop to 125 sometime soon.

Hope this helps.

I talked to Brian a couple of times this past week. He said:

1. They don't sit on empty spots so they offer them as people drop. They've already made some offers, but not many. Most offers will be made by the end of June.

2. They start making cuts to the waitlist to trim it down. So what is about 250 now will drop to 125 sometime soon.

Hope this helps.
Does anyone know if they notify you if you have been cut from the waitlist?

Annnnnnd the nerves set in. Please be kind waitlist gods! :)

Tried calling today and couldn't get a hold of anyone. Anyone else have new info about offers? It's so dead in here. Seems probable that people are getting accepted but just not posting about it. The wait is so agonizing.

Very sorry to hear that guys :(

If you don't mind helping out the anxious among us, what were the timestamps on those emails? Just trying to see if they sent out all the rejections at the same time or if they are sending them separately.

Thanks and good luck to you.

10:30am for me...

I'm debating if I should email and ask if there is anything that would make me a more competitive applicant for next cycle/what was my weakest area...

"Med1415" and "potatochip", I hope you don't mind me asking if you were both on the waitlist before receiving your rejection? Again, sorry to hear the bad news.

waitlisted since February. Timestamped at 10:31. I wish you guys all the best.

Anyone movement or updates? Left message for admissions yesterday, no call back. Thanks for any info.

Nothing over here. I wish someone would post an acceptance...or anything really!

So about 100 people have been cut from the waitlist and it is now sitting at 150. About 10 people have been accepted so far and he's thinking about 15 more will be accepted. Acceptances off the waitlist are looking lower than the previous years.

Head up, guys! That's still a 10% chance!

Wow-- thanks for posting that info. Good luck everyone!

Anyone know if they are planning to cut the waitlist again? It seems really unnecessary to have so many people waiting with no hope of getting in.

I was offered a spot off the waitlist last Friday. Hard to do, but I had to decline. Loved this school.

Any word from anyone? I'm holding off on sending in another app until after June. Just dreading the process again...

No news here. I have a hard time believing there will possibly be up to 15 more acceptances at the current rate :).

Also rejected yesterday, same time stamp. Good luck to those still stayin alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.